Sign in to follow this  
rob590

The new Piper Cub GPS in flight HELP

I bought the new cub with the GPS gadget ( I have never used a plane GPS), I had hoped that they would teach you something about using the GPS and the the new dials and buttons, they didn't, so bottom line is, can someone point me the right direction to read up on how to use the new electronics in the cub.

I know how to turn it on and I have noticed you can see airports and the direction in which to approach to land, which helps a lot, but that is about the extent of my ability to figure anything out.

Thanks

Hi Rob, welcome to the forums

The "GPS" on the Icon and the Cub is just a dumbed down moving map. You only have two buttons On/Off and Declutter (to show/hide navaids). They are"toy" instruments and lack most functions that a GPS provides, so navigation with is is not possible.

To make things worst, thre is no Zoom so you need a 20/20 eyesight (not in my case) and can't even read the text.

(If yo want to learn about GPS, search the forums here on AVSIM, or google it),

Here is the user manual for the Garmin GNS 530A

and the GPS 500 (the one that comes with FSX, well sort of)

Cheers

Your best bet is to download PlanG and GMap. You can create or edit existing flightplans in PlanG and load them into Gmap to use in Flight. It`s much better than the simplified moving map in the Icon & Cub and of course you have the moving map available no matter which aircraft you use.

Here is an excellent tut to get you going by J van E -

http://forum.avsim.n...e-them-in-gmap/

Another plug for GMap... this is the GPS to use with Flight.

Another plug for GMap... this is the GPS to use with Flight.

I wonder if any further development on GMap was ceased since the announcement on Flight, seems like they were working on an update to GMap at the time for Flight.

I wonder if any further development on GMap was ceased since the announcement on Flight, seems like they were working on an update to GMap at the time for Flight.

I asked this on the GMap forum and at the time the dev said he would proceed as planned.

Let me quote his post:

As you no doubt are aware, what they have cancelled is further development on Flight, not Flight itself. The sim is still available and will continue to be so in that sense we see no difference with the 'demise' of FSX in 2009. While regrettable it just means that no new expansions products will be made (aside from whatever is already in the pipeline) but the sim remains, albeit in its current form covering only HI/AK. So all in all I don't see any reason to suspend GMap for MS Flight, just as I don't see any reason to get rid of any of our FSX products.

It would be nice to get the heading bug fixed, but that's the the only issue I have with GMap for Flight.

Fantastic program, even if they don't ever get around to compatibility with the Android app.

I asked this on the GMap forum and at the time the dev said he would proceed as planned.

Good deal, great to hear - thanks.

I had been using the operating theory that development has or will very shortly cease, unless they were very far along with it. Good on them if they finish it.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks one and all I'll try to down load GMaps and follow the instructions in the two part tutorial.