Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

A Huge FPS Increase

I don't know if there is a guide or tutorial written on the subject. I just learned how to do it myself after reading this discussion about it on AIG forums here http://www.alpha-ind...hp?topic=3634.0 (may have to register, not sure)

It's a very long but interesting read.

As far as ImagineSim Scenery they have a bad habit of not mip-mapping their textures and thats why they shimmer so bad.

No mip-maps causes shimmering and no alpha on a DXT3 or DXT5 format texture causes severe stuttering.

Would someone mind posting the conversation from that post Tommy (is it allowed???) on here? I don't really want to sign up.....

Would someone mind posting the conversation from that post Tommy (is it allowed???) on here? I don't really want to sign up.....

Daniel,

That discussion is 14+ pages long. I doubt they would let me post it all here.

Are making mip maps and such really necessary?

Mip-mapping textures all depends on how much shimmering you can tolerate. Personally , I can't tolerate any. Alpha channels, on the other hand, are required.

Just looked at DXTFixerX, (wish that had been out when I fixed mine, nice tool.), it will fix the missing alpha problem but not mips.

Daniel,

That discussion is 14+ pages long. I doubt they would let me post it all here.

OK thanks Tommy.

Mip-mapping textures all depends on how much shimmering you can tolerate. Personally , I can't tolerate any. Alpha channels, on the other hand, are required.

Just looked at DXTFixerX, (wish that had been out when I fixed mine, nice tool.), it will fix the missing alpha problem but not mips.

So for baseline improvements (not going hardout into Mip Maps etc) we just need DXTFixerX.

Cool. Will try it out then.

This is a wonderful thread, but I am a bit overwhelmed by (a) the choice of options and (B) the possible ramifications. Maybe one day someone will go through all the pain and write a kind of instruction mentioning all the different software and how to apply it?

Best,

Holger

• Upvote 1

Holger TillmannSIM: FS9/2004 // FSX<p>CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 4x3.40GHz (for FSX OCed to 4.2), GPU: ASUS GTX 760 Direct CU II OC, GeForce® 9800 GTX +MB: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 Z87 DDR3RAM: Crucial 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8 Ballistix Tactical

This is a wonderful thread, but I am a bit overwhelmed by (a) the choice of options and ( B) the possible ramifications. Maybe one day someone will go through all the pain and write a kind of instruction mentioning all the different software and how to apply it?

Best,

Holger

+1

I really hope someone does too.

I started the thread but it got way over my head and I too would love that kind of summary... I'm still checking textures in all new downloads for missing alpha channels or mipmaps but my method is probably steam age compared to some that have been discussed on here.. Hoping someone who can understand it all and write clearly for us simple folks to take advantage of the things that were discovered. I can say that the changes I have seen in the smoothness of my sim experience is still vivid - it's running like a dream

• Upvote 1

Hello, I tried to register with a genuine email address but I received a error message saying that my email address was spam. What sort of site is Alph ind.?

You were lucky! I got a virus on my PC with this download from Alpha Searcher !!! Right now I am scaning the whole PC, my antivirus did not let it in, seems. Scaning just in case it went through! :mad:

You were lucky! I got a virus on my PC with this download from Alpha Searcher !!! Right now I am scaning the whole PC, my antivirus did not let it in, seems. Scaning just in case it went through! :mad:

More likely what you have is an anti-virus program that aggressively detects behavior patterns of programs and classifies them generically as threats. This is called heuristic detection. It's also probably a false positive.

More likely what you have is an anti-virus program that aggressively detects behavior patterns of programs and classifies them generically as threats. This is called heuristic detection. It's also probably a false positive.

Last time I allowed a "false positive", I had to reinstall the whole shibang! Like three days work. My income now comes from PC maintenance & config. Too much risk, some "false positives" have destroyed mother boards. But thanks, I will try another "mirror" for that download. And it did not go through, menos mal! I believe the program is OK, but the site needs better safety measures. Too many adjacent downloads for installing the program I want! Like FiVE of'em, or no download button. (not free, but shareware)

This is called heuristic detection. It's also probably a false positive.

I have the story now: after register & sign up on Alpha India Group, I read a recomend BETTER than Alpha Search: the DXT3Fixer.zip download. It installs a file that installs this, and FOUR adjacent programs (not wanted, as with ALL shareware. Usually, I run away from share ware. Sometimes I do not, and get in trouble. The Alpha Search I have (my anti virus blokced the other software, thank God or whoever is in charge now) and testing to see if it is palatable! That happens because I allways want better ... :angry:

Yes a summarised post would be most welcome.

What to do and what not to do

What to mipmap what not to mipmap

What to alpha chanel and what not to alpha channel

etc etc etc

That would be much appreciated

Yes I know all teh info is here in just over 200 posts, but reading 200+ post also do get confusing after a while.