Sign in to follow this  
Ehmjo

Off centre ILS landing?

Hi guys,

On some runways I'm on a perfect ILS approach (according to FMC) but when I look out of the window the runway is a little more to the left/right.

Anyone else have this problem? And better: a solution/trick? :)

Thanks in advance!

Yes I have. Last time I had this it was when flying into Petropavlovsk as part of a round the world trip. The visibility was non existent and all looked good on the approach so imagine my shock when I got to the threshold only to see the runway was parallel but off the the left.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Yes I have. Last time I had this it was when flying into Petropavlovsk as part of a round the world trip. The visibility was non existent and all looked good on the approach so imagine my shock when I got to the threshold only to see the runway was parallel but off the the left.

Lol, I had the same issue on the exact airfield. Flew with different a/c that time though.

Guest BeaverDriver

Just make sure first it's not *supposed* to be an offset approach :smile: . Some approaches have obstacles (like a mountain) and require a "parallel" approach where you end up at an angle to the runway, or break out slightly to one side. It's not common on a full ILS with a GS so this may not apply, but it's worth checking the approach chart to make sure that's not the case. Otherwise, if it's a default airport, it wouldn't be the first one that MS "missed" the runway with :P

Just make sure first it's not *supposed* to be an offset approach :smile: . Some approaches have obstacles (like a mountain) and require a "parallel" approach where you end up at an angle to the runway, or break out slightly to one side. It's not common on a full ILS with a GS so this may not apply, but it's worth checking the approach chart to make sure that's not the case. Otherwise, if it's a default airport, it wouldn't be the first one that MS "missed" the runway with :P

Correct! Before approach you have to discuss approach breafing reading deeply approach charts where is reported an offset approach and its angle.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Thanks for your answers!

Sorry for the missunderstanding: the problem occurs with some runways where the outside world (runway) is not located where it should be according to ILS reading in the plane. Nothing to do with obstacles.

In other words: on a full ILS approach I don't end up correctly in front of the runway but all systems in the plane (NGX) try to tell me that I am spot on.

I try to avoid default airports as much a s possible :)

I recommend trying the Flight1 registry repair tool that SAS13 linked to earlier. It's known to have fixed the symptoms that you describe

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Before you make any repairs using afcad or similar you must check whether the ILS is indeed offset. Otherwise it's quite a simple job re-aligning the ILS facility to the rwy centre

Hi all, there's a free programme called navaids that allows you to edit ils' and other radioaids parameters. It'll come up if you google it. Just mind that sometimes, if you have the FMC auto set ils course active, the FMC course differs from the fsx one, worth checking even tho im that case yoi should end up offset rather tham parallel to the rw.

Matteo Capocefalo MED1473

Make sure you are actually on ILS if that happens again. If you have IAN, that looks almost the same as ILS, only airplane is going LNAV/VNAV with its own database, where runway can be moved a bit from FS position.

Also make sure you have correct scenery install, similar thing happened to me in Kaliningrad, turns out there was default scenery still present (somehow).