Sign in to follow this  
Appliance

Phoenix Sky Harbour

As it now seems unlikely Mir will issue an FS9 version of KPHX I decided to pull out of mothballs the Avsim award winning SimFlyer's version.

It installed OK, looked just as I had remembered it with shimmering textures (yet to check it for Alphas and Mips) but although a frame rate hog back in the day seems reasonable with todays hardware.

Pity it's too old to be AES'd however KPHX is an important hub in the southwest and I expect it will receive a fair 'ol bashing in coming weeks.

Anybody still using this scenery and care to comment?

As it now seems unlikely Mir will issue an FS9 version of KPHX

Are you sure about that? I just scanned the FlightBeam forum, and other than a vague statement about wanting to make more sceneries for FSX, I couldn't find any indication that he wasn't going to make an FS9 version. Too bad if he doesn't, as the shots I've seen of the FSX version indicate that he nailed it.

Never had the SimFlyers version, so I use the Mach 1 scenery, which is very good.

John G.

I've never seen that particular scenery. I do know that PHX is a very busy and important hub. I've flown in and out of there twice IRL, having had to change planes there both times, and know that, both externally and internally, it's a beautifully designed airport. I've never considered a commercial version of the airport, however, because I'm using Gary Widup's excellent phx2004, which can be found in the Avsim File Library here: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=phx2004.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

The following is quoted from AirDailyX :-

"08/25: Amir on PHX for FS9: "I can't really comment on the roadmap yet because it's all in the works right now. However realistically, the chances of FS9 are not good, because some of the tech used to make the inner highway, taxibridges, custom runway lights and HD textures not only won't work in FS9 but also severely surpass the system limitations of 90% of FS9 users.""

To the best of my knowledge the SimFlyer version was the first occasion in FS9 that animated traffic went under a taxiway.

I've been using it since it came out. The only issue I ever had was having to use the default

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19 when using addon mesh because otherwise my a/c would fall through the tarmac at certain gates near the airport's sunken roadways. Still an excellent scenery and newer graphic cards help reduce shimmering that many complained about when the scenery was introduced.

Thank you for that. I believe that Aerosoft's EDDM and Leipzig sceneries have such a feature, so it's feasible in FS9, if not easy for developers.

John G.

I still use Simflyer's version, it was one of their better sceneries.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

The following is quoted from AirDailyX :-

"08/25: Amir on PHX for FS9: "I can't really comment on the roadmap yet because it's all in the works right now. However realistically, the chances of FS9 are not good, because some of the tech used to make the inner highway, taxibridges, custom runway lights and HD textures not only won't work in FS9 but also severely surpass the system limitations of 90% of FS9 users.""

To the best of my knowledge the SimFlyer version was the first occasion in FS9 that animated traffic went under a taxiway.

I wonder where they got that "90% of FS9 users" statistic from??? I can understand them not wanting to rework the scenery for a limited market, but I seriously doubt that it would be so complex that 90% of us couldn't even run it????????

<_<

Ian

I wonder where they got that "90% of FS9 users" statistic from??? I can understand them not wanting to rework the scenery for a limited market, but I seriously doubt that it would be so complex that 90% of us couldn't even run it????????

<_<

Ian

Agreed. I can run any addon aircraft with any FSDT scenery out there and still hold 25+ fps. It's a shame they are probably dropping FS9 as SFO was outstanding. :(

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

An update ... SimFlyers KPHX only needed Mips which cured the shimmering. I still have some flashing textures which I hope will be eradicated by reducing vertex level from 21 to default 19.Nail%20Biting.gif

<_<

Ian

I agree with this. My computer is 2 years old and I can fly my QW 757 into FSDreamteams JFK or Imaginesim's LGA with Aerosofts Manhatten scenery and all sliders at full right and stil lhave framerates in the mid teens to above 20.

Does anyone know if the SimFlyers KPHX is still available? I did a search but couldn't find it

Ian

The latest from Mir: "FS9 version is not likely at this point." Broken%20Heart.gif

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Does anyone know if the SimFlyers KPHX is still available? I did a search but couldn't find it

Ian

Unfortunately not Ian.

SimFlyers self-destructed - one partner vanishing and the other, Cal, creating and running Imaginesim.

My download link at SimMarket has disappeared ... only my reg. no. is left, lonely.

There are other alternatives out there but no payware. Thats why we are soooooooooooooo disappointed that FlightBeam apparently have decided not to make a FS9 version.

Cheers

To all that mention the 90% statistic that Mir talked about, or that talk about the traffic under taxiway bridges: do not forget that Mir has been using all kinds of shortcuts and knowledge from the games industry that might work for FSX but not for FS2004. I assume that's the "tech" that he is talking about, not whether traffic can go under taxiway bridges or not... I highly doubt something like that would stop Mir from trying to make a FS2004 version!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case