Sign in to follow this  
Evan Banalian

X plane 10 flickering textures problem video included.

Hello all,I stopped flying x plane 10 because of this flickering textures problem, very annoying when you zoom in at homes and other texture you get this black flickering texture, No matter what settings it's still there. I've tried it on my pc and Mac pro and it dose the same. I wonder if you guys have the same issue. This is really need to be fixed.

Evan Banalian.

PC specs i5 Ivy 3570 OC 4.5 8 GB DDRAM3 at 2400mhz. 680GTX

Mac Pro specs 12 Core 16 gigs or ram ATI 5870.

Can you post a screenshot of your Rendering and settings page?

Hi Goran,

I will post a picture with my settings, but I've tried all settings, I lowered the settings and I've tried a different rendering settings with HDR on and off but nothing seems to help. This video is taken on my mac pro, on my pc it seems a little worse.

Can you check your "shadows" setting?

I think I remember high detail shadows cause flickering with some nvidia cards on the PC systems, however, I'm not entirely sure.

I do have a similar setup to yours and I see no flickering on my PC like what is depicted in your video.

Also, I noticed you overclock your system. I remember someone had flickering issues on the DC-3 because they overclocked their CPU. I think it was Rob (Comanche)

Yea, I had some flickering too. At one point, I had both my CPU and Video card overclocked. I tracked the issue down a while back to the overclocked video card. I set it back to default speeds and the flickering went away. I still have my CPU overclocked, but no longer get that flickering.

Rob

I've tried a different shadows settings but didn't help. Also This video is taken on mac pro without any overclocking. The problem with x plane code I believe. I wonder who else is having this problem.

My video card is not overclocked only my cpu.

Thanks.

Assuming you have the latest update, and unless someone else has the same issue and knows how to fix it, and if you've tried absolutely everything in the settings, I would send Laminar a bug report or contact their customer service and explain what is happening.

Even include the video, so it gives them a clearer picture.

Provide as much info as possible.

I have to say that it does look system specific because I haven't seen other people with this same issue...but I could definitely be wrong.

I already did send a bug report. I remember reading on the blog by Ben that they had to rewrite the code for some rendering issues, including HDR, However before 1.05RC never noticed this issue so it could be my setup or software hardware related issue.

Evan B.

I think probably this has to do or is related to the swimming problems in scenery textures. Looking into the distance, the roads in particular seem to swim. I've never or usually are not zoomed in on the houses so much, but just now zooming in on a hanger at my airport, I could indeed see flickering. Looks to be related to the swimming problem to me. keeping HDR off keeps the swimming down to a tolerable level. HDR on in daytime makes the swimming textures in the distance stand out more or be more noticeable would probably be the best way to put it.

I would think the best way to fix this problem is not to zoom in so close. :-)

Please post a screenshot of your rendering settings so that I can try to reproduce it on my PC and report back the results.

I don't recall ever finding such an effect.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Preferred Simulator: X-Plane (and seriously considering AEROFLY FS 4 too)

I get it as well with my Ati 6970, but if I crank the AA up to 16x it makes it a lot less apparent, no HDR obviously. Don't know what causes it, but saw the same thing in FSX and it's a texture related issue from what I've read. Cranking up the AA helps with the flickering and shimmering on my system. It does appear to be worse in Opengl when compared to DirectX, for what reason I don't know.

I've also noticed that if you use Osm2xp or some other software to inject scenery into Xplane, and you didn't use an exclusion on the original scenery the flickering / flashing is really bad as 2 scenery items are trying to be rendered in the same physical location at the same time. Even if the building sizes are exactly the same they flash and flicker. I've done that before and the look is horrible. Looks really bad over a populated area.

I was using overlapped .shp and .osm data for downtown Toronto months ago, only because the website that had the shape date was more complete in some areas that the .osm data and forgot to make exclusions in some areas, so buildings from both the .shp and .osm were being drawn at the same location and the flickering was really bad, looks just the the video the op posted.

Now, I was using a scenery for CYOW in XPX, that was made for XP9, and the hangers in it flickered so bad I quit using it. As we know there are no default airport buildings in XPX so overlapping scenery was not the issue in that case, it has to be a texture problem, but not solely Xplane, because FSX did the same thing. I'm not a texture guy, someone with more knowledge in alpha channels, mipmaps, that sort of thing will have to chime in.

edit: I get a lot of what your showing in the second video, like you I don't know why. Was actually going to buy a 680 thinking it was a ATI issue, glad I didn't do that.

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I have that flickering too, even with the aerosoft Lugano addon. But it's not too bad and I hardly notice it during operations.

I'm running X-Plane on a GTX670 with the latest beta driver. Maybe it's related to the driver / GTX6XX combination?

Flo

I too have had this issue. Seems to be worse when I am using custom scenery that I exported from FSX to X-Plane. I have found it hard to get the "right" settings in my video driver to make X-Plane look right. I use the nvidia inspector and I've tried so many changes but never really seem to see much of a difference.

I have seen the issue, but have essentially been ignoring it.

There was something similar going on in fsx and I ignored that as well; You can usually recreate the effect there pretty easily just by turning on shadowing around certain structures.

When I saw this in Xplane I just figured a correction would come when they got around to it.

The buildings I see it happening the most on are very closely spaced row-houses and I was assuming some polygons might be overlapping.

Z-buffering issue?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5