Sign in to follow this  
drewhosick

100 Questions

Pretty new to the idea of flying a complex airliner. I mean I've done the default airliners and stuff but when it comes to all these new operations and the FMC I'm a little confused. If anyone can help with some of these questions:

1. MINS with Radio and Baro... I just don't understand where I get the numbers and what it does.

2. Altitude on the MCP... So let's say I was flying online or with ATC... They say cleared to 6000. I set 6000 but then when I get there they say cleared to 15000 I set 15000 in and I have to press this alt Int or whatever that button is? Why is that? Also I tried setting a descent to 3000 yesterday after setting it to 15,000 but because I didn't get down to 15,000 before changing it to 3,000 is that the reason I didn't have to hit the alt int button?

3. FMC... Is there a procedure checklist like the ones you get off the net that runs me through programming the FMC without missing a beat? I know there are the tutorials and I've actually been able to program the FMC on my own with a little help from a checklist that had a few things listed but I'm sure I'm missing a few things. Also in the tutorial it says to set the one item(i think it was under N1 but don't quote me to 45 degrees... where does that come from? Is that 45 degrees fereinheit outside on the ground?)

4. FMC if I want to fly online or I fly with default atc on FSX what happens when they send me off course from what I setup in the FMC. I don't think I've ever had someone on VATSIM direct me to use the whole STAR or SID. They always have me change from the original STAR or SID halfway through or not use a transition on a STAR to get into the ILS. And how about when a STAR says Vectors. How do you input the vector? do you just go to the "Manual Autopilot" like in the default aircrafts where you input heading and use it instead of the LNAV and VNAV modes?

5.Just about done with questions right now...

6. Once ou start using the loc and the app for the approach, does that mean the FMC is no longer in control and it's actually autolanding because I've chosen CMD A and B? In other words if I get deviated from my flight plan because of atc, does that mean I can still autoland if I want or do the changes need to be somehow inputed into the FMC directly?

7. Also, if I get asked to go direct a fix. do I just enter it into my FMC under Legs and then click on 1L to make it the current one and execute?

I know lots of questions but I'm having a heck of a time wrapping my head around it.

Bonus questions from yesterday's flight: Tried a flight on my own without the tutorial yesterday from Edmonton to Vancouver and I found that I couldn't enable the LNAV and VNAV until I was in the air. I guess because of the over 5 degree change on takeoff to my first waypoint. I also got confused on landing. For some reason I was landing on 26R and I was coming in at least 3 or 4 degrees off the runway centerline and with no idea why. I had set it in the CRS on both sides and I got my degrees from the FMS. Just installed AIRAC, could that be why? The change to the magnetic north or changes to the Vancouver Airport since FSX came out? Any idea?

Thanks so much,

Signed Long time simmer but not a whole lot of experienced in NGX

1: Mins = minumums. Its the lowest altitude you are allowed to descend to without seeing the runway. If you reach minimums and you dont yet see the runway you go around. Baro is used for most approaches, it specifies the decision altitude in feet above sealevel. Rad is used for CAT3 approaches, and it specifies the height above ground level, not above sea level. The baro altitude is measured barometrically, like your altimeter, the rad height is measured with a small radar in the nose of the airplane.

2: That would be because the plane have entered vnav alt hold mode once it reached your set altitude. If your plane havent yet reached the set altitude and you set a new, higher one, then the plane will continue on its climb up to the new altitude

3: I cant recall having ever seen a checklist for the FMC, however, its really straight forward to set it up, and with a little bit of training you will never miss a step. I'm guessing the temperature you set is the assumed temperature for engine derating. You are basically telling the FMC that it should assume that the outside air temperature is 45c, and that the engine should limit its output so that it would not overheat if the outside air temperature was 45c. This is done to preserve engine life.

4: Once ATC starts giving you vectors you switch from LNAV to HDG SEL as the roll mode for the autopilot. You do of course have to set the various headings ATC wants you to fly manually through the MCP.

5: No

6: I never autoland, so i cannot help you with that other than to say that autolands are "never" done in real life and getting into the habit of autolanding is not something I would recommend, at least not if youre into realism (and having fun as well, not much fun in having the plane land itself)

7: If you are told to go direct to a fix you bring up the LEGS page, press the LSK next to the waypoint you were instructed to go direct to, then scroll to the top of the LEGS page, press LSK1 and press EXEC. That should take you direct to the selected waypoint (provided that you are in LNAV of course)

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Great post although slightly confused on your answer regarding autoland. I take it your not from Europe? Also aircraft have to do a specified amount of autolands to keep current.

Rob Prest

Great post although slightly confused on your answer regarding autoland. I take it your not from Europe? Also aircraft have to do a specified amount of autolands to keep current.

Yeah, I know, autolands are done in real life, but its pretty rare. Since the first tutorial contains an autolanding people can get confused and think that autolands are done for every landing in real life. That is not the case, autolands are done fairly rarely in real life.

vatsim s3

1133704.png

6: I never autoland, so i cannot help you with that other than to say that autolands are "never" done in real life and getting into the habit of autolanding is not something I would recommend, at least not if youre into realism (and having fun as well, not much fun in having the plane land itself)

Autolands are done routinely. In fact most pilots and each aircraft have an autoland performed every month to stay current. In cases of bad weather, it's a very practical solution.

In cases of bad weather, it's a very practical solution.

As far as know CATIII approach on 737 require autoland or HGS installed if flying manually.

If you reach minimums and you dont yet see the runway you go around.

Except for fail operational CATIII category, where AH used and most agencies do not require visual reference below AH. There are other circumstances when go-around is required.

Baro is used for most approaches, it specifies the decision altitude in feet above sealevel. Rad is used for CAT3 approaches, and it specifies the height above ground level, not above sea level.

But not a mandatory. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/380875-mins-knob-radio-and-baro/

1. Remember, at minimums you MUST have runway in sight, cleared to land, landing checklist complete and aircraft fully setup and stabilized, otherwise... GO AROUND!

Going from back upwards.

aircraft fully setup and stabilized

A little late for that at minimums, I would say, considering that most common ILS CAT I minima will set you at about 200ft AAL. Better be stabilised at 1000AAL, or 500 if you know what you are doing and visual.

Except for fail operational CATIII category, where AH used and most agencies do not require visual reference below AH. There are other circumstances when go-around is required.

Yes, but this is a) rarely the case in 737s, and B) needlessly confusing for our beginner friend. For the time being, he can forget about AH and keep with simpler DH/DA.

Autolands are done routinely. In fact most pilots and each aircraft have an autoland performed every month to stay current. In cases of bad weather, it's a very practical solution.

Yeah, I know, autolands are done in real life, but its pretty rare. Since the first tutorial contains an autolanding people can get confused and think that autolands are done for every landing in real life. That is not the case, autolands are done fairly rarely in real life.

Depends, how do we define "routinely" and "[basically ]never". Both are true, to an extent.

Pilots do regularly do autolands for currency purposes (aircrew and aircraft currency), but are almost never forced to do an autoland, although it is more common in some parts of the world (London) than others (Morrocco, for example). As long as we are talking basic, day to day, routine flying, it could be said that pilots dont autoland.

Now, to the very questions.

6. Once ou start using the loc and the app for the approach, does that mean the FMC is no longer in control and it's actually autolanding because I've chosen CMD A and B? In other words if I get deviated from my flight plan because of atc, does that mean I can still autoland if I want or do the changes need to be somehow inputed into the FMC directly?

As said, FMC has nothing to do with autoland, basically you can imagine that autopilot can get its "instructions" from 3 sources:

a) FMC will tell it what to do, in LNAV and VNAV modes,

B) You will tell it what to do, directly in HDG, V/S and LVL CHG modes, or

c) radios will guide it what to do, in VOR/LOC and APP modes. (also in final stages of autoland it gets info from other sensors)

For an autoland, the third method is important, and it is not at all important how you get to the point to begin the approach.

4. FMC if I want to fly online or I fly with default atc on FSX what happens when they send me off course from what I setup in the FMC. I don't think I've ever had someone on VATSIM direct me to use the whole STAR or SID. They always have me change from the original STAR or SID halfway through or not use a transition on a STAR to get into the ILS. And how about when a STAR says Vectors. How do you input the vector? do you just go to the "Manual Autopilot" like in the default aircrafts where you input heading and use it instead of the LNAV and VNAV modes?

When a procedures says (VECTORS), it means that you should expect ATC to tell you how to get to the next point. He can give you headings, directs, radials and another kinds of instructions to follow, but he will, sooner or later, put you someplace on your route where you can continue on the magenta line.

3. FMC... Is there a procedure checklist like the ones you get off the net that runs me through programming the FMC without missing a beat? I know there are the tutorials and I've actually been able to program the FMC on my own with a little help from a checklist that had a few things listed but I'm sure I'm missing a few things. Also in the tutorial it says to set the one item(i think it was under N1 but don't quote me to 45 degrees... where does that come from? Is that 45 degrees fereinheit outside on the ground?)

The temperature is used so that engines do not run on full thrust all the time.

Basically, engine can run faster when it is colder, and therefore, must run slower when it is hotter out.

Assumed temperature basically means, that you set the computers controlling the engines to run them "as if it was 45°C out". There are tables and programs to tell you what temperature can you set in so that the takeoff remains safe.

1. Remember, at minimums you MUST have runway in sight, cleared to land, landing checklist complete and aircraft fully setup and stabilized, otherwise... GO AROUND!

Incorrect, the runway does not have to be in sight. Read the IAP Minimum section on page 10-21 here: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/instrument_flying_handbook/media/FAA-H-8083-15A%20-%20Chapter%2010.pdf

Of course Mr. Fabo, you're right, on IMC the aircraft should be configured and the approach stabilized at 1500AGL and it can be below 1000AGL on VMC, it depends of the company SOP also. I know an airline who have had 2 accidents due to unstabilized approach and now their SOP says they must be configured and stabilized at 2000AGL. But minimums in a given moment would be the last chance you have to be stabilized.

Good point on it being airline SOP. Airlines I am familiar with go for stable at 1000AGL, with some allowing 500AGL in VMC, and of course waivers for special classification airports. But we are getting off topic.

Incorrect, the runway does not have to be in sight. Read the IAP Minimum section on page 10-21 here: http://www.faa.gov/l... Chapter 10.pdf

Ok I read it but I don't get what your point is...? Doesn't number three make it pretty clear you need to see the runway? Sorry if I'm missing something there....

You dont need to see the actual runway, if you see the approach lights.... potayto potahto....