Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

freded

737NGX will not climb or achieve FMC settings

Guest BeaverDriver

He is. Far East of China :rofl: (sorry, couldn't resist) :P

@Peter (Fabo) - Yes, that would be it. Short Field Package. Thanks.

By the by (OT)-I noticed you are using Illustrator (from the ...Liveries thread). I too am just getting into that. Looks like it would open up a lot of doors for painting, eh? Good on ya for that :smile:

Hi Matt,

I thought you were flying for a far east company (but I have been away from this forum for a while)

Cheers,

Bruno

Yep. I was in Asia for 1.5 years while I was furloughed from my US carrier. Now I'm back in the States.

Hello Glenn,

So I guessed right - you do fly Beavers & Otters. :smile: Which part of Canada do you fly in? I'm situated on Vancouver Island, a few miles SE of Parksville, and the Beavers & Otters I mentioned are flown by Harbour Air. We use them, in preference to BC Ferries, for getting to Vancouver. And, of course, they're on floats and fly just a few hundred feet above the Georgia Straits - so don't have any problems with gaining height. ^_^

You said: "There's no chance you had SPEED selected or LVL CHNG instead of just VNAV and LNAV is there? I think you said you double checked that." Well, I definitely had VNAV & LNAV selected on takeoff (and V1 was active) but, when I couldn't achieve the FMC's speed and height for the first section, I tried going to LVL CHG and V/S for a bit. The 737 started to climb but speed fell off with A/T Armed, so I turned A/T off and pushed the throttles to max: No speed increase, even with N1 showing over 90%.

That's when I gave up and wrote my first posting! At present, due to domestic duties :(, I haven't got further than initializing the FMC. When I have time, I'll send some screenies to show the problem - assuming it happens again...

Mark

Guest BeaverDriver

Yeah, it might have just been something weird going on and won't happen again Mark. Good luck with that, but definitely post back if you run into it again.

I flew out east in Ontario and the NWT/NU area mostly. I'm retired from flying now (flew 17 years though, all in the bush), and am an Avionics Tech currently. Miss the flying most days, but not all days :wink:. Yeah, we usually didn't do much climbing either. Five hundred agl was typical most days. Takes too long for Beavers to get much higher when loaded. One eighty fives were a bit better that way. Lots of fun :smile:.

Well, it did it again. :O

Reached 2280 ft & 198 KIAS and then failed to climb any more to the 5000 ft set by FMC or increase speed to 230 KIAS.

I'll try to include some screenies of the MCP and FMC, which will illusrate the configuration when I paused the flight...

(I pasted in a couple of screenies but when I hit 'Post' I get an error saying "Your post is too short" !!

Tried making screenies half size (totalling 255760 bytes) but same error. Is there some arcane way of adding images on this site?)

Two other points I noticed when setting up:-

1) On the N! LIMIT page, there is NO option for selecting TO-2 - just 26K/TO, 24K/TO-1 & 27K BUMP/TO-B. I chose TO-1.

2) Setting the BARO to hectopascals (as suggested for Europe in Tut 1), I was able to change the unitss on the PFD but, on looking for the button on the Integrated Standby Flight Display (ISFD), I discovered that the gauge shown in Tut 1 differs from the one on my panel and has NO Hg/hpa button. You can what my panel has for an ISFD from the screenie (just right of the Captain's ND).

Perhaps I need to do a complete uninstall/re-install of the aircraft?

Hope this all helps with diagnosis.

Regards,

Mark

Try one screenie at a time...

No. Didn't work. Same error.

Mark

Mark ref your comment on the ISFD, are you flying the House livery for the tutorial as covered in the tutorial or some other installed livery?

And how have you got it set up in PMDG settings (equipment if I recall correctly) is the Capt's altimeter linked to the standby one or not?

Guest BeaverDriver

Mark, I think you need to have something like Photobucket host your images, then you link them in your post using the "Image" button. You may be doing that already, but just in case I thought I would mention it.

Have you changed any of the default settings via the FMC PMDG SETUP page, and as Jason asked, are you using the PMDG aircraft for this?

Try to get the screenshot thing figured out as that will really help. Depending on the options set or the aircraft you're using, you may not have a double de-rate capability on that airplane. It's been a while since I've done that tutorial, but maybe I'll load it tomorrow and have a look. Gotta be one little thing here that's different from the standard I suspect.

Do you have perhaps a hardware MCP? Sometimes I have the same and have to push VNAV off/on. Did not try that in the virtual cockpit.

Frans

Jason,

Good point! I wasn't flying in PMDG House livery and when I changed to that, the ISFD changed to the same as the image in Tut 1. I wouldn't have expected that if you hadn't mentioned it Thanks!

In PMDG SETUP/OPTIONS/SIMULATION PAGE 1/3, I checked that SYNC CAPT AND STBY BARO is 'YES'; same for SYNC CAPT AND F/O BARO.

There are a heap of options there. I must check them out. ;-)

Regards,

Mark

Another go at pasting images (from ImageShack):-

fmcaftertakeoff02.th.jpg

mcpaftertakeoff02.th.jpg

These screenies were taken when flight was paused as mentioned in my post of yesterday at 2:36 PM

Mark

Those weren't big enough!

mcpaftertakeoff01.th.jpg

fmcaftertakeoff01.th.jpg

How do I make them appear larger?

PhotoBucket again...

ea5882ca.jpg

2b837c25.jpg

At last! Now if I can just remember what I did...

Mark

That is bad. At that attitude, you should be going right down at ground real fast. Something is seriously screwed up. You should probably reinstall and see what happens.

From your posts, I think you have a corrupted install. You should have a TO-2 option on the N1 page. Also, the 46000lbs of fuel still registering on the performance initialization page is how much fuel you have onboard.

I believe your problem is that the plane is overloaded even though it doesn't show it.

Can you please post a pic of your PERF INI page, your N1 page and T/O Ref page? Thanks.

'FlightWatch',

Here's the latest screenie from my next attempt:_

be98b8d6.jpg

And here are the shots of the FMC pages you asked for:-

37dc89c5.jpg

ad85eff5.jpg

ee800d0e.jpg

The Takeoff Ref page is not, of course, a shot of the setting before I started the flight. In fact I added Flaps 5 before taking this screenie to simulate the original. Trim was originally 5.04 and VR 142.

Hope you can tell what's going on from all this...

BTW, I did a complete uninstall/re-install yesterday, so can't think why it should be already 'corrupted'.

Mark

Are those your before takeoff shots? You should not select VNAV before takeoff... you should have an 'open' speed window, and manually select V2 for your speed before takeoff. It seems you are in VNAV stuck at your no flap 'bug up ' speed, and thats why you stay at around 200 kts.. you aren't getting out of tkof mode.

Based on what you have in your pics, set V2 speed manually, make sure VNAV button is not illuminated, hit the tkof / ga hotspot or button on top of throttles. You should see autothrottles set 90.9% N1 per your setup in your pictures. After takeoff, gear up. At 1000 AFL, hit the VNAV button and follow the pitch bars. When you get to the white carrot on the speed tape on the left side of the PFD, go from flaps 5 to flaps 1. At the pink 'carrot', raise flaps. Not sure about your internal PMDG setup, but the aircraft will probably command pitch to hold speed at around 200 (depending on weight), then at some reference alititude, probably 2500 ft, VNAV will command the speed bug to 250 knots, then follow the climb speed profile in your VNAV pages (CLB, CRU,DESC).

I could probably help you out pretty quickly on TS if you have that - I'm a current 737NG pilot.

Greg

You should not select VNAV before takeoff... you should have an 'open' speed window, and manually select V2 for your speed before takeoff.

You can't?

I'm a current 737NG pilot.

You are?

Delete your FSX\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini file and let it rebuild - this happens when something corrupts in there (we haven't determined exactly what yet). Assuming it fixes it, could you mail me the bad ini file too - rmaziarz@precisionmanuals.com

You can't?

My mistake... I thought he implied from his last post that he was on the ground, and at a quick glance the MCP was wrong.

NGX is equipped with FMC 10.8A. This means you can arm VNAV on any takeoff. Before take off you can freely set V2, after passing 400' AGL VNAV will set V2+20, after acceleration altitude it will set properate speeds for flap retraction.

Maybe you are using older one and things are different there.

When you get to the white carrot on the speed tape on the left side of the PFD, go from flaps 5 to flaps 1. At the pink 'carrot', raise flaps.

I'm not a real pilot, but FCTM suggest another tehnique.

We have 10.8 at American but aren't allowed to engage VNAV until at least 1000AFL. And I don't recall that it could be armed on the ground but I've never used it that way. Good point.

Procedures vary from carrier to carrier. We use a 'stock' Boeing QRH, but have our own normal procedures - to a degree our operating manual matches Boeing's from what I've heard. Haven't compared the two though.

We have 10.8 at American but aren't allowed to engage VNAV until at least 1000AFL. And I don't recall that it could be armed on the ground but I've never used it that way. Good point.

Procedures vary from carrier to carrier. We use a 'stock' Boeing QRH, but have our own normal procedures - to a degree our operating manual matches Boeing's from what I've heard. Haven't compared the two though.

AA uses U10.8 and not U10.8a? I thought U10.8 was dead.

We still use 10.8. Last update was 10.6, and we just finished replacing that with 10.8 this year. It took maintenance months to complete the changeover for some reason...

I imagine some FMS update is coming soon - we are going to implement 25 tkof flaps at selected airports, and that option needs to be incorporated.

it happened to me some time ago, didn't know that could be a fsuipc issue so i uninstall the entire flight simulator and it fixed the problem. It was madness, i pitched down the plane and the airspeed was slowing. It wasn't able to go further 200KIAS being lighter than the air with full trust.