Sign in to follow this  
pride545

Windows 8 and PMDG

Is anyone using windows 8 with PMDG products? If so, are you having problems?

Windows 8 isn't even out in an RTM version...

Why not cross that bridge when you get there?

If anything, I think it'll be an issue of FSX versus Win 8.

Kyle Rodgers

I am working for Microsoft, until July 2013.

Although we cannot say much until the 26th October, it should work.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I've heard horror stories regarding Win8 and overclocking. Perfectly stable OC'ed Win7 boxes would become very unstable and bluescreen with Win8. Maybe MS will have these issues ironed out prior to the RTM but for now I'll happily stay with Win7.

I've heard horror stories regarding Win8 and overclocking.

The reason is because of a misquoted article written a little while ago. The article was simply stating that the blue screen had been rewritten to display new text. That's it. Unfortunately, it was not written more clearly, and a few people used that to deliver their own version of the message that Win8 is bad. It's not.

The article's aim was to say that if you overclock - which has long been established as a risky endeavor, to a certain degree - you open yourself up to more bluescreens (regardless of OS). If you're running Win8, it will look different when compared to Win7 and before because the blue screen has been made more informational to the end user.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for clearing that up Kyle, here I am feeding the rumor mill!

Personally, I'm not going to entertain migrating to Win8 until I see some solid usage statistics before and after SP1. I had it installed as a VM on my old system and wasn't that impressed with the new UI. Very touch oriented and the classic desktop was lacking. I'm definitely not in a hurry to try it, Win7 still feels incredibly new.

Thanks for clearing that up Kyle, here I am feeding the rumor mill!

You're welcome. It's not your fault at all. Someone else was the source. I remember it popping up here, but I couldn't find the post.

I'm with ya. As long as Win7 is stable for me, I see no reason to go upgrade unless there are proven benefits and solid post-release stats.

Kyle Rodgers

Windows 8 isn't even out in an RTM version...

Why not cross that bridge when you get there?

If anything, I think it'll be an issue of FSX versus Win 8.

uhhh, there is a preview version out now! Besides, I think i am old enough to cross a bridge if i feel the need!

uhhh, there is a preview version out now! Besides, I think i am old enough to cross a bridge if i feel the need!

Nobody called your age into question, but by bringing it up unsolicited, you cast the doubt all on your own.

Further, you can't make judgments on previews. That's why they're previews. They aren't the final product, which means things can change. You'll note I said "Windows 8 isn't even out in an RTM version..."

That means it isn't fully complete and ready for the final release to market. Meaning, there are final tweaks which could either help or hinder FSX performance. The bridge hasn't even come, so whether or not you feel the need, you can't cross it yet.

Kyle Rodgers

LOL...Kyle... just noticed your sig... Got a chuckle.... +1 for you.. I needed that after a long day at the salt mines...

Jeff

Is anyone using windows 8 with PMDG products? If so, are you having problems?

So Far, Windows 8 and FSX Acceleration seem to be working fine. I have Windows 8 64bit RTM (Release to media or Ready to Manufacture). I am a Microsoft TechNet Subscriber. and Windows 8 RTM has been available for us to use Since Aug 15th. The basic rules for installing FSX in Windows 7 apply for Windows 8.

I have several add on scenerys, aircraft, including PMDG, and so far, all is well. Although I have all the PMDG FSX aircraft,I have only installed the 737NGX so far, but it works.

As for any advantage over windows 7, as far as FSX is concerned, Its the same.

spec's

Windows 8 64bit RTM, i7 3770K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.4 GHz, 16 GB Ram, 2-256 GB SSD. 1TB HHD.

FSX Accel. REX, GEX, UTX. Active Sky 2012, Ultimate Traffic, PMDG aircraft, + others, several airport Scenerys.

Rick Verhallen

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Thanks Rick,

I figured someone was using the RTM version. It sure boots up faster tho!

Had no problems with addons and that on Windows 8 but have experienced an issue with game controllers. The joystick would disappear from the controllers list and stop working inside FSX but still work outside of the game. Isn't limited to my joystick either.

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29