Sign in to follow this  
moss1

Some OC Advice i-7 3770K please, and hyper threading as well...

Hi all,

Just getting ready to pick up my new rig...It has a i-7 3770K 3.5GHZ out of the box. I wanted to OC it but have never done this before, even with all the systems I have personally built over the years, this is new territory for me. Is there a software module of sorts in the bios that comes with the processor that will make things easier? I do not want to reach for the stars.... I want to get it up to around 4.5GHZ safely. I do have a Corsair H80 water cooling system that I had installed. Any suggestions to lead me in the right direction? I also assume to turn off hyperthreading, it's in the bios? The MB is a Asrock Z77 Pro4. I just don't want to fry anything. The company which built the system said they do not OC anything, they just put the system together to my specs. Thanks a bunch in advance, much appreciated

Best, Jeff

Jeff,

[short version] -->

it's been said many times over in these fora. There is no "easy and simple" way to get an O/C. Even on identical machines the values will vary as no 3770 is exactly the same as another.

Your best bet would be to go through the countless posts here and on other sites on the net (just google 'overclocking 3770' and you get a bunch of suggestions.

Overclocking is a process that requires patience and testing, reaching the limits of your cpu then backing off a bit until it runs stable with no major temperature issues or BSODs.

Hyperthreading is turned off for FSX as it adds nothing but you will need it if you do any kind of video editing or Photoshop type of work.

Good luck! You're about to embark on a long but ultimately rewarding journey. Just remember...baby steps.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

I actually went into the bios and there was a built in OC utility? I selected 4.4GHZ and the temps are running about 43c / 110 degrees fahrenheit. I just launched xplane 10 and it is running smooth. Went back to bios after rebooting and temps at the same. I hope that this is safe?? I think I am very happy with this. Now to reinstall FSX and addonzs and see where I am. Any thoughts?

Best, Jeff

Hi all,

Just getting ready to pick up my new rig...It has a i-7 3770K 3.5GHZ out of the box. I wanted to OC it but have never done this before, even with all the systems I have personally built over the years, this is new territory for me. Is there a software module of sorts in the bios that comes with the processor that will make things easier? I do not want to reach for the stars.... I want to get it up to around 4.5GHZ safely. I do have a Corsair H80 water cooling system that I had installed. Any suggestions to lead me in the right direction? I also assume to turn off hyperthreading, it's in the bios? The MB is a Asrock Z77 Pro4. I just don't want to fry anything. The company which built the system said they do not OC anything, they just put the system together to my specs. Thanks a bunch in advance, much appreciated

Best, Jeff

Jeff,

the 3770K will reach 4.5K virtually on its own if you are using a decent M/B like an ASUS P8Z77 - mid range or higher - just use ASUS suite and let it do the work for you.

The main thing you already have taken care of and that is the cooler for the CPU - The 3370K does run a bit hot compared to say Core i5 - 750, but Intel have also raised the tJMax to over 100C - not that you want to be that hot anyway.

I am sure you will hit over 4.5GHz without any trouble at all.

One thing to remember with the 3770K is that the "usual" overclocking methods do not always apply here, especially when using a good M/B.

Normally, O/C requires you to disable things like "Speedstep" and other BIOS based speed enhancers, the 3770K does not need this, it will use ASUS suite and BIOS to maximise the speed without any need for interference from you should you decide that is the way you want to go.

Give it a try by enabling all of the automated stuff in your BIOS, then load up ASUS suite or similar and play around there and see what you get! Good luck.

I hope that this is safe??

Get Prime95, stress test for 5-8 hours and regularly monitor temperatures on the CPU.

Thanks for the replies gents. I can't believe how fluid Xplane 10 was with settings turned up last night in the JRollins CRJ200! Anyway, FSX, will be the real test for me....once I reinstall it and all the addons...... Days to go with my schedule. I liked using the automated OC utility in the MB's bios. It efficiently handles everything without having to change each parameter. I will look into prime95. Even though I went to the bios immediately following the exit of the sim and seeing 43 degrees c. I am reading that the CPU can withstand a lot higher temps, so that alone is comforting.

Best, Jeff

Be careful though, the Auto-Tuning software tends to over-volt the chip a little bit.

Aamir Thacker