Hello,

I have been using a joystick with my sim but I would like to switch to a yoke / pedals / throttle set up. The PMDG 737 is the only aircraft that I use on my sim so I would like to get some opinions on which yokes are best for the PMDG?

Thank you!

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Depends on your price range. Saitek yoke system offers a pretty good price/enjoyment ratio on the lower end of the scale, at about 200ish dollars with pedals IIRC, or you might go for various Precision Flight Controls products, ranging from Beechcraft or Cessna style yoke with potentiometers at 600ish dollars, up to 737 Collumn Yoke with Hall Effect measuring for 1500ish dollars.

Right now my price range is around $200. I have looked at the Precision Flight Control products and they are amazing! One day I will fork up the $7k for the full single seat 737 cockpit set up but for now I am looking for the most bang for my buck. Is the Saitek yoke the best option for that price range? Which model Saitek?

Thank you!

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

There is Saitek PF Yoke, and their Cessna Yoke. Honestly, Cessna Yoke has only one single advantage over PF Yoke and that is that is has more movement (180° vs 90°), but in all other applications it is same or worse (for ex. does not have a clock/chronometer, less buttons, same internals). Not worth 50 extra bucks IMO.

For pedals, basically you would choose between rather funky looking Saitek Pro Pedals or CH Pro Pedals, apart from the fact that CH Pro Pedals seem to be harder and harder to find.

Personally, I recommend you order the bundle of Pro Flight Yoke System + Saitek Pedals, about 250 dollars. In that you get a pretty nice yoke, OK pedals (for the price) and as a part of Yoke, one three-axis throttle quadrant which has a nice long drive (90° movement over about 4 inches arm, can be very precise), a "button" at the bottom of each axis and 6 buttons on it. (plus you can buy another quadrant later and stack them together for a 6-axis setup, perfect for the 747 once it is out)

That's all great info, thank you! Which site do you recommend ordering from? I am watching a few Pro Flight systems on ebay right now also in hopes to win a good deal.

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

I've has my CH Yoke since 2000, and it still sells for $125. Works like a charm. My CH pedals gave out after about 10 years, and I'm using the ones from Saitek. I really like my current setup.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Problem with CH yoke is, while the yoke itself is OK, you just need to have extra throttle to go with it. At that point the price difference makes it moot.

Word of advice Ben, just get a new one, not one from eBay. Or you might end up with half-functioning yoke that dies within months totally. Just dont go out one night and set aside some 50 bucks more and get all new set yoke+pedals.

Cessna Yoke has only one single advantage over PF Yoke and that is that is has more movement (180° vs 90°)

I was wondering if there's some mod for Saitek PF which could make it move to 180 degrees.

Problem with CH yoke is, while the yoke itself is OK, you just need to have extra throttle to go with it. At that point the price difference makes it moot.

Word of advice Ben, just get a new one, not one from eBay. Or you might end up with half-functioning yoke that dies within months totally. Just dont go out one night and set aside some 50 bucks more and get all new set yoke+pedals.

I will take your advice. Thank you Peter.

I was wondering if there's some mod for Saitek PF which could make it move to 180 degrees.

I was wondering about this. Do the yokes in real Cessna aircraft move 180? Don't the yokes in all modern Boeing only move 90? So, if you're flying the NGX wouldn't you only want 90 degrees of movement anyways?

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

I was wondering about this. Do the yokes in real Cessna aircraft move 180? Don't the yokes in all modern Boeing only move 90? So, if you're flying the NGX wouldn't you only want 90 degrees of movement anyways?

I was pretty sure Boeing yokes move 90° per side, ie. 180° total, same as Cessna. Now I am not sure... anyway you can check some video of a real flight they should do a controls check...

Just wanted to say I tried both the Saitek Pro Flight and Cessna yokes and despite some of the features being removed the Cessna yoke feels much nicer to handle than it's predecessor. The original Pro Flight yoke feels very oversized and toyish. Whilst the Cessna yoke has it's issues it's crafting is superior I feel.

Of course if you want the real thing I guess you will have to shell out the big bucks for PFC or similar.

I was pretty sure Boeing yokes move 90° per side, ie. 180° total, same as Cessna. Now I am not sure... anyway you can check some video of a real flight they should do a controls check...

That's true (according to the videos I have seen). RL 737 yoke moves 90 degrees on each side (180 total). So it means, what when I'm using Saitek PF I don't get the rest of those 45 degrees on each side (one can see it in VC, when I'm, let's say, turning the yoke fully to the left, the NGX yoke in VC is turned to the 45 degrees). Wonder If it could be calibrated.

I've been happy with my saitek pro yoke and the 737NGX. I've been meaning to do the mod to remove the center detent but otherwise I like it.

You can get a yoke/throttle combo at Amazon for $165 with free shipping right now too.

I got the Saitek yoke not that long ago and I like it I was thinking of the CH yoke but having the throttle on the yoke is a deal breaker, for me at least.

I got it at amazon for $152 and No shipping cause i chose the option to wait about a week for delivery.

So it means, what when I'm using Saitek PF I don't get the rest of those 45 degrees on each side (one can see it in VC, when I'm, let's say, turning the yoke fully to the left, the NGX yoke in VC is turned to the 45 degrees). Wonder If it could be calibrated.

Now this is wrong, unless PMDG misanimated the yoke, you should get full deflection for full deflection...