Sign in to follow this  
As84

FSX doing REALLY weird?

Apologize if I somehow confused you. Texture.cfg is located in every aircraft Texture folder to handle the textures for aircraft. You have a land issue here. I said terrain.cfg which handles the terrain configuration for FSX thoughout the world. It is a very large file and "is used to map texture information for vector data" (such as roads, rivers, streams) to polygon types and flattening information, and to control the automatic placement of certain fearures such as telephone poles, light poles, fences and power lines. This file provides reasonable defaults for most data types specified in vector data" (definition from the SDK). I'm thinking that somehow this terrain.cfg was not uninstalled on your system when you uninstalled FSX like PMDG told you and then you reinstalled FSX. Of course that sounds impossible too as PMDG told you to delete certain leftover folders and that folder definitely is left over whenever you uninstall FSX. But, maybe, somehow it was not deleted and remained in the new installation.

Respectfully, let's look at your situation logically. If you have a clean and fresh install of FSX, how is it possible for just you to have aircraft sitting under the runway, on their sides, and in weird positions? How is it possible your ground textures in the photos you show above are without textures and FSX cannot read your longitude and lattitude settings? As far as I can tell (via Google) this just happens to you. My recommendation is that you completely uninstall FSX as per the instructions of the PMDG guide. If you have SP1, SP2 or Acceleration installed, uninstall them first before you uninstall FSX. Then run a freeware registry cleaner. Now reinstall FSX. After FSX is installed and before doing anything else, run FSX and get it activated and do at least the default flight. If you only own FSX (deluxe?), then install SP1. Run FSX again and shutdown. Now install SP2. The installation is complete. That will fix your problem. Just be careful that you don't go in and mess around with the longitude and latitude settings unless you completely understand their structure in FSX. Hopefully this will fix your problem and you can enjoy your flights.

Best regards,

Jim

I did EXACTLY what stood here, but nothing has changed. The situation is kinda hopeless right now...

I always get a pop up window indicating a framework error, maybe it's the problem? I'll try reinstalling framework.

I don't get a error message at all. I downloaded and installed the latest Framework, and nothing changes. Does it work to you?

My, that is a weird problem for sure.

I have had 21 Windows updates since the 11th (orig. date of this thread) and 19 of them just this morning. My FSX is acting normally.

I tend to agree that quite possibly something damaged the scenery.cfg or terrain.cfg file(s) and that is wreaking havoc on As84's system. Jan Muller having the same issue which a reinstall did not cure is worrisome as that's exactly what I would do - reinstall from scratch.

Maybe a "repair" would work as FireHawk suggested?

My, that is a weird problem for sure.

I have had 21 Windows updates since the 11th (orig. date of this thread) and 19 of them just this morning. My FSX is acting normally.

I tend to agree that quite possibly something damaged the scenery.cfg or terrain.cfg file(s) and that is wreaking havoc on As84's system. Jan Muller having the same issue which a reinstall did not cure is worrisome as that's exactly what I would do - reinstall from scratch.

Maybe a "repair" would work as FireHawk suggested?

I wish it was that easy and simple. I did reinstall FSX twice, and nothing changed. I think that a repair won't help either because the most extreme didn't helped at all.

What language settings do you guys have on your PC?

U.S. English, or something else?

And if it is Windows Update related, can you roll back the update?

Bert

Think of the soonest TIME AND DATE you can remember when you didn't have this issue.

Go down to your start menu, and type "System Restore" And try system restoring your computer to that time.

I know one time my FSX stopped working everytime I loaded it. I pulled my hair out trying to figure out what it was for like 2 weeks. Then I did a system restore, and my problem was fixed. System restore can be a miracle sometimes!

What language settings do you guys have on your PC?

U.S. English, or something else?

And if it is Windows Update related, can you roll back the update?

I have my computer in fully Dutch.

And we don't know for sure if it's update-related, but I'm gonna give it a try. I'm gonna activate the system restore, set it to 3 weeks before this topic was started. The problems then began.

I tried System Restore but I didn't get any further then the screen with ''restore points''.

I can choose to at least 10-10-2012, but that's the point I decided to reinstall FSX, so that's useless.

I'm very sure that the problem started 3 weeks ago (around 25-9-2012), but I can't choose that in the System Restore as you see.

I see you do not have Acceleration installed. Did you install BOTH SP1 and SP2 to FSX? I see in your system restore you did install one of the SP's.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I see you do not have Acceleration installed. Did you install BOTH SP1 and SP2 to FSX? I see in your system restore you did install one of the SP's.

Best regards,

Jim

Yes, I had SP1 and SP2, and uninstalled them both too.

So, SP1 and SP2 are no longer installed? You should have at least SP1 as it upgraded FSX significantly, textures and everything.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So, SP1 and SP2 are no longer installed? You should have at least SP1 as it upgraded FSX significantly, textures and everything.

Best regards,

Jim

Yes, I do have them installed, but I meant that I uninstalled them when I uninstalled FSX.

Sorry for the confusion.

As84, what antivirus software do you have?

We can't rule out that you could have a virus that is currupting your system settings somehow that is affecting FSX. I would recommend downloading malwarebytes or some other antivirus software and start your computer in "Safe Mode", than scan your entire system for malware.