Sign in to follow this  
Maurice Feelders

Lost all data because of crash. no backup and downloaded PMDG software

Hi All,

I hope that someone can help me. My computers crashed a couple of days ago and i discovered that my backup didn't work. I lost my downloaded PMDG 737NGX files. I would like to download it again, but i can't find where. If i go to the shop, the only option is to buy it again. This is the same for B747.

Best regards,

Maurice

Maurice,

Step one (before you do *anything* else):

Go buy an external hard drive for backup. It's 2012. Storage is cheap. Make sure to always back up your files. It'll save you a lot of money, and trouble.

Step 2:

Go to the PMDG site and look for extended download service. Purchase that and you'll be set. To avoid having to buy extended download services in the future, always, always, always back up your software, especially if it's downloaded.

Kyle Rodgers

Your download links are only active for about a week when you download something, that's pretty normal for most online suppliers. You have 2 choices. You can either buy the extended download service for both ($5 each, http://www.precision...p?idCategory=10), or you could file a ticket with support and see if they will let you download it again (they will probably make you get the download service, but it's worth a shot).

Edit: Your far too quick Kyle :P

Kyle, read the post!

The op hadnt clearly stated if he had an external drive for back up or he mearly just back up on the pc itself. Cant see why an external drive would fail not that one would use it that often. Either way he has got 3 options, one to get an extended download, write a nice letter to support explaining his bad luck etc. or some how to retrieve his lost data from his exteranl drive if his got one of course.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I just hope someone with PMDG signs on and checks tickets. I built a new rig and while waiting on a replacement SSD to be received, I installed my aircraft on the HDD to check and be sure everything else was working right. Once my replacement SSD arrived, I loaded the OS on it and reformatted the HDD. When I went to reinstall my aircraft along with the updates, only the third install mind you, I got the dreaded "activation of the fulfillment is denied......" So unless I missed something I am sitting around waiting on a response to my ticket request. I searched before I loaded them and found only that there were no restrictions as long as I had all my original information, as I did. Had I known I would have not loaded them. Flying a default plane is like making a paper airplane, so now I am just watching my email. If anyone has a contact give them a call and say a customer is whining and begging for help, he wants to fly.... :(

Selling an "extended download service" is very bad form in my opinion. The customers buy a license to run the software, we dont buy the installation medium or anything like that. Pretty big minus to PMDG for this

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Selling an "extended download service" is very bad form in my opinion. The customers buy a license to run the software, we dont buy the installation medium or anything like that. Pretty big minus to PMDG for this

Totally agree. Although, the servers that are used for downloaded likely are expensive to maintain hence the expensive costs for re-downloads.

Yeah, I have no doubt that PMDG has costs associated with hosting their content, but it would be better in my opinion if they had taken this cost into account when they had set the final pricing for their addons instead of charging for this extra. It would leave a far better taste in my opinion

vatsim s3

1133704.png

If I bought some goodies at my local sweet shop, and by the time I got home, they were gone. Do you think that the sweet shop should give me replacements free of charge? I don't.

PMDG charges a token amount to protect you from your own misfortunes. Of course you might be the rare individual that suffered from extraordinary bad luck, and so PMDG maintain the discretion to waive their stupidity extended download fee. Personally, I think the fee is quite reasonable since it takes a human being a certain amount of time and effort to check your purchase and activation details again and to setup and send you another download link. Of course, if you want to avoid the fee, you simply have to ensure you have one or more working backups you can restore from.

If I bought some goodies at my local sweet shop, and by the time I got home, they were gone. Do you think that the sweet shop should give me replacements free of charge? I don't....

We are not buying "PMDG 737 8900 NGX SP1c.exe", we are simply paying for the license to run the software. This is how software works. The installation medium is just a way to install the piece of software to your computer. It is nothing like your "local sweet shop" example

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Its nothing more than a cash grab! of the countless add ons I have NOT ONE asks for cash for a reload.

devs need to take notice here, The community is waking up as more and more 3rd party coys start to look for the $$$$

ZORAN

Its nothing more than a cash grab! of the countless add ons I have NOT ONE asks for cash for a reload.

devs need to take notice here, The community is waking up as more and more 3rd party coys start to look for the $$$$

I am not quite sure what has you so passionate here? Are you objecting to people being charged extra if they behave like idiots, or are you objecting to the charge because it is a reminder that behaving like an idiot is expensive? Perhaps you just think that developers should factor the additional costs of dealing with the minority of their customers who behave like idiots and charging the ones who dont extra?

Exactly, Paul.

[...] but it would be better in my opinion if they had taken this cost into account when they had set the final pricing for their addons instead of charging for this extra.

No thanks!

Don't charge me extra because of the lack of foresight in short-sighted individuals.

It's pointed out very clearly in the emails and on the download page that the link will expire in however-many days. Thus, it would be prudent to back it up somehow. If this were CD content, I wouldn't throw the CD away when I'm done, or leave the CD somewhere that I might not have access to tomorrow.

Downloadable content carries the risk of access because there's no hard copy. If you like the convenience of downloads, make sure you address the access issue: back up on another drive, or onto physical media.

Kyle Rodgers

"It's pointed out very clearly in the emails and on the download page that the link will expire in however-many days".

you cant be seriuse? the majority of buyers are no where near as anal as some of the geeks that are on here 24/7. I can grantee that the majority just want to fly and some who have the time will spend it learning the manual

Exactly, Paul.

No thanks!

Don't charge me extra because of the lack of foresight in short-sighted individuals.

It's pointed out very clearly in the emails and on the download page that the link will expire in however-many days. Thus, it would be prudent to back it up somehow. If this were CD content, I wouldn't throw the CD away when I'm done, or leave the CD somewhere that I might not have access to tomorrow.

Downloadable content carries the risk of access because there's no hard copy. If you like the convenience of downloads, make sure you address the access issue: back up on another drive, or onto physical media.

thats a big assumption that the rest of the non geek community would even know what a back up is and how it actually works . . Its an even bigger assumption to suggest they would ever bother to visit PMDG.COM unless its for support but by then of course its cough up the $$ to have access to what is yours anyway.

ZORAN