Sign in to follow this  
Garciamk4

Most Effective FS9 Performance tweaks

Don't feel bad. It didn't make one iota of difference for me either.

gwillmot

Same here. Pretty much a placebo for me.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

So the bottom line is, search all AI and Scenery textures and add alpha channel? Forgive my ignorance but is it by opening a file and save it DXT3 automatically adds alphachannel? Because that is all I know how I fix some Maddog livery textures to solve blurries. Thanks

Yes, that's correct. I use AlphaSearcher to find files that have the missing alphachannel. You search any folder and sub folders you choose, so you could do one particular aircraft or scenery or choose addon scenery or aircraft and do all of them. Just make sure you check "include sub files."

Then by simply selecting the files that have been identified, I just save them with DXT3 and that automatically fixes them.

Placebo? To some maybe.. To others according to many postings in the thread at the top of the page, including myself - a measured and significant difference. As I said before - there's no magic bullet but we were asked to share our "performance tweaks" and that one worked for me - along with cleaning up my AI files

Cheers

Ian

Perhaps there is a difference in manually changing them compared to using the download tool? Not that I'm saying its not a good thing, but I never noticed anything. I have fly tampa's tncm installed and used it on that to convert the files, but didn't seem to make any difference. And tried it with entire fs9 folder without any results.

Can't hurt though. You never know!

You may be right about the download tool. Though it seemed to work for many other people, on my system it didn't do anything. (Or should I say I couldn't get it to do anything - I may have been using it incorrectly.) But doing it manually, though tedious, definitely does work. The impact isn't always particularly noticeable, but the cumulative effect has been very significant for me and in the case of certain particular addons, it was spectacular.

Cheers

Ian

I reinstaled fs9 on my new PC, i can't remember all tweaks any more, it was a long time ago :(

There is too many different tweaks for fs9...

That Nick's tweaks above, are they realy a must? Post is from 2008...

I have a couple of questions about fs9 tweaks:

- do i need highmemfix?

- job scheduler is not working for fs9, right?

- can somebody explain that terrain settings please?

I'm not real fussed with the look of ai a/c but if it populates airports more so then woai buts with better fps, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Jon MyTraffic 2006 is a 'one click' solution to AI. It provides airlines/commericial passenger and cargo aircraft, military aircraft including helicopters (but they take off and land like normal aircraft) and GA traffic. Frames are excellent but the definition of aircraft/liveries suffers. I can live with it, others can't. Haven't found an airport it doesn't populate except Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok, Thailand.

It also offers three choices of time periods to suit yourself.

Certainly a time saver at the cost of visuals.

Over to you.

I reinstaled fs9 on my new PC, i can't remember all tweaks any more, it was a long time ago :(

There is too many different tweaks for fs9...

That Nick's tweaks above, are they realy a must? Post is from 2008...

I have a couple of questions about fs9 tweaks:

- do i need highmemfix?

- job scheduler is not working for fs9, right?

- can somebody explain that terrain settings please?

I would say they are a must, definitely. Set up the sliders as you would like after following the guide if you dont get the performance you want, but his FS9.cfg and Nvidia Inspector tweaks, I do consider a must, yes.

1. Follow the post

2. Adjust sliders if need be

3. Keep fs9.cfg tweaks and Nvida inspector tweaks.

I would say they are a must, definitely. Set up the sliders as you would like after following the guide if you dont get the performance you want, but his FS9.cfg and Nvidia Inspector tweaks, I do consider a must, yes.

1. Follow the post

2. Adjust sliders if need be

3. Keep fs9.cfg tweaks and Nvida inspector tweaks.

Thank you, i added only the lights tweak, in display settings i increased hardware lights to 8, mip quality to 4 becouse of shimmering and set AI traffic to 90%, but i didn't change terrain and display settings.

I applied nvidia inspector settings from Word Not Allowed's guide, and i never had smoother fs9, no stutters at all.

Tweak with 1/2 refresh rate and locked 30fps is awesome, it's works for fs9 too! Until now i used fps set to 40, 50 or 60. Unlimited fps cause some problems with sounds on my system. But this is amazing!

Thank you, i added only the lights tweak, in display settings i increased hardware lights to 8, mip quality to 4 becouse of shimmering and set AI traffic to 90%, but i didn't change terrain and display settings.

I applied nvidia inspector settings from Word Not Allowed's guide, and i never had smoother fs9, no stutters at all.

Tweak with 1/2 refresh rate and locked 30fps is awesome, it's works for fs9 too! Until now i used fps set to 40, 50 or 60. Unlimited fps cause some problems with sounds on my system. But this is amazing!

Good to hear! :yahoo: It's FS heaven when it runs fluidly and smoothly and you really feel like you're flying and not looking at a screen

My tip for a good FS9 tweak?

The FLUSIFIX tweaker program itself.

Contains in one program just about all the tweaks you may need for FS9 .(I believe there is an FSX version as well)

Unfortunately the latest (it was when i last checked) has all the instructions in German, although I believe there are notes in English for translation.

I have an earlier copy that DOES! have its interface in English.

Its certainly the best tweak tool I have found for FS9 ,AND! No knowledge of manual CFG editing required ,you select the tweak you want ,click on it and Flusifix does it for you.

Anyways very good IMO.

Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Good to hear! :yahoo: It's FS heaven when it runs fluidly and smoothly and you really feel like you're flying and not looking at a screen

Yes, I spent some time tweaking and tuning my PC and fsx, but i never get that smoothnest in fsx. I did that becouse of NGX, but now i'm back to my fs9 Maddog, PMDG MD11, F1 ATR, Level D767 and i will probably go for ifly 737 soon!

You have pretty much experience with fs9, so i want to ask you, do I need highmemfix in fs9? Or if you have some sugestions for fsx.cfg or any other settings... Right now everything is fine, but it's good to check, i don't want to miss something important. Like i said, it was long time ago when i instaled and tweaked fs9 last time... After FSX, I can belive how smooth and stable is my FS9 with all that addons, it's definitely better sim for heavies... :p0504:

My tip for a good FS9 tweak?

The FLUSIFIX tweaker program itself.

Contains in one program just about all the tweaks you may need for FS9 .(I believe there is an FSX version as well)

Unfortunately the latest (it was when i last checked) has all the instructions in German, although I believe there are notes in English for translation.

I have an earlier copy that DOES! have its interface in English.

Its certainly the best tweak tool I have found for FS9 ,AND! No knowledge of manual CFG editing required ,you select the tweak you want ,click on it and Flusifix does it for you.

Anyways very good IMO.

Andy

Thanks Andy, but FLUSIFIX is not doing anything that i don't know to do manyally, i used FLUSIFIX when i first time instaled fs9. It's realy useful tool for beginers i think

I think the best tip anyone can give you now Zeljko is to sit back, relax, enjoy the sim and don't worry about any more tweaking. If it's running well and you're happy with it, I'd focus on improving other aspects like upgrading your AI traffic, or downloading some new sceneries or whatever seems like fun and enhances the experience. As they say in the US, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

And when you get the iFly 737, get ready for some very addictive simming. It's a fantastic product...

Have fun

Ian

I think the best tip anyone can give you now Zeljko is to sit back, relax, enjoy the sim and don't worry about any more tweaking. If it's running well and you're happy with it, I'd focus on improving other aspects like upgrading your AI traffic, or downloading some new sceneries or whatever seems like fun and enhances the experience. As they say in the US, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

And when you get the iFly 737, get ready for some very addictive simming. It's a fantastic product...

Have fun

Ian

Thanks Ian, i am addicted allready, i love the realism of Leonardo maddog :smile:

Hello Garcia!

Where´s your video?

Cmte. Pena

Keep Flying

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.6 GHz (overclocked)

Memória: 8 Gb DDR2 800 Mhz
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bits
Vídeo: Zotac Geforce GTX 760 AMP 2Gb 256 bits GDDR5 - Driver 344.75 Nvidia
HD1: 500 Gb Seagate (Win7 + FS2004 + FSX) / HD2: 1Tb Seagate Barracuda SATA 3
Placa Mãe: Asus P5Q
MS Flight Simulator 2004 + MS Flight Simulator X
CH Products Yoke, GS Pedal, GS Throttle, Opencockpits MCP 737 NG, EFIS 737 NG Opencockpits, Saitek Radio Panel, Monitor 24" Phillips 247E-LHA Full HD, Monitor 7" Mimo.