Sign in to follow this  
Abern68

"NAV DATA OUT OF DATE" or How do I update my fmc.

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to flight simming and very new to the PMDG 737NGX. I ran into a problem today with ATC on VATSIM with reguards to my flight plan. I was told that the data in my FMC is out of date and that I needed to update it. What do I update it with, and how do I do it? I Installed SP1 but that didn't do it. Help please.

Art

What do I update it with, and how do I do it?

You need to purchase navigation data (terminal procedures and VORs and waypoints) from either Navigraph (http://www.navigraph.com/www/fmsdata.asp) or Aerosoft (http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd500!0,,D11686_1). You then run the installer(s) that you download and it will automatically update the data.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

First of all, it's not by any means required to have current navdata to fly on vatsim. It's certainly helpful to the pilot and controller but I wouldn't go as far to tell anyone they need to update their navdata. Most controllers are flexible and usually don't mind either way. Especially since the only way you can update navigational data is by purchasing it.

Although I update mine for PMDG birds every 3-6 cycles. I know some pilots prefer to fly with current airacs. Choice is entirely up to you. Navdata is great for purchasing independent cycles, charts, and they even have an annual package thats discounted.

As stated above, updated AIRAC cycles are available from Navigraph.com or Aerosoft.

However, remember that any airport & en-route charts that you have are also potentially updated by AIRAC cycles. Change the AIRAC cycle in the FMC and you may have to update some charts in parallel, including any printing you've done.

The same is true of any other software you're using that rely on AIRAC updates - including other types of aircraft FMC's..

It's probably cheaper & easier to get a set of FMC data & charts that are consistent with each other and work with that until you really need to update everything. The error message can be just cancelled & ignored!

ngxu_banner.png

And to add to the above: FSX is fixed in time and there is no progression of the magvar as in real life. So new data will probably not coincide with the AFCAD files in FSX, Even new add-on AFCAD files become increasingly in error with each navdata cyle. I use the orginal 2006 FSX scenery and have accumulated over 4000 airport approach plates that I have individually corrected to match the runways and navaids in default FSX. I am using the original AIRAC data that came with NGX but my raw data agrees with my charts. I will continue to use these same charts and data since they will never go out of date with FSX!

When airports that I frequent have made major upgrades (adding runways and taxiways, etc.) I have used FXADE program to upgrade the AFCAD appropriately. ( A very time-consuming endeavor.) Most of the airports, however, only required small corrections in parking positions or Localizer alignment to assure agreement with charts.

Bottom line: your simulator is fixed in time so your charts can be also.

Bottom line: your simulator is fixed in time

Not strictly true...the magnetic variation changes not the runway or scenery positioning & localiser beams should be centred on the RWY heading down the centre of the RWY (unless they are meant to be offset) & not fixed to the magnetic heading - which is the bit that changes.

You can update the FSX Magnetic Variation to 2010 values & update the FSX Navaids by going here ....

http://www.aero.sors.fr/index.html

All done free of charge to the FS community & NAVAIDs updated in line with current AIRAC Cycles. I expect he is working on a newer MAGVAR file for the future.

More reading here:

http://forum.avsim.n...or-fs9-and-fsx/

The files are simple to add/remove & do add to the realism if that is what you are after.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

If you just want to get rid of the message you can go into your FSX folder, PMDG/NAVDATA/fmc_ident.

Change the line OpProgram= to todays, day, month and year.

Think that works if you want to cheat.

But if you want do upgrade the NAV data, you have to get an update or do it your self.

When airports that I frequent have made major upgrades (adding runways and taxiways, etc.) I have used FXADE program to upgrade the AFCAD appropriately. ( A very time-consuming endeavor.) Most of the airports, however, only required small corrections in parking positions or Localizer alignment to assure agreement with charts.

Save yourself some time and check out AVSIM files section the next time. There is a guy (Ray Smith) that has done updated AFCADs for most popular airports around the world that people fly to. The updates are very easy to install only 2-3 files. The instructions tell you where they go. Simple.

Keep yoru AIRACs up to date along with your AFCADs and you will be in good shape.

As far as VATSIM Goes it's a good idea to be current when flying online. It may not be a requirement but your gonna upset some controllers if you can't fly a proper Arrival or Departure when asked to do so. (BTW Flying Direct is not Acceptable).

They are more easy going in the USA than Europe. They can be strict and a tad touchy over there. One time my AIRACS was out of date for my flight planner and they changed the airways around. They wouldnt let me depart until I changed to a differet departure.

So you can say oh its not a requirement but it's also not worth the aggravation or delays you may encounter by not doing it.

They are more easy going in the USA than Europe. They can be strict and a tad touchy over there. One time my AIRACS was out of date for my flight planner and they changed the airways around. They wouldnt let me depart until I changed to a differet departure.

It is quite difficult for an ATC to vector a departure out of flow to a fix that does not exist anymore, or is not used for departures. Sometimes, that can mean sending the departure head on with arrivals.

Usually though, when just the departure track is changed, you will be let go with older departure, vectors, or a different instruction i.e. fly runway heading, after passing 3000ft direct to FIX.

Save yourself some time and check out AVSIM files section the next time. There is a guy (Ray Smith) that has done updated AFCADs for most popular airports around the world that people fly to. The updates are very easy to install only 2-3 files. The instructions tell you where they go. Simple.

Keep yoru AIRACs up to date along with your AFCADs and you will be in good shape.

As far as VATSIM Goes it's a good idea to be current when flying online. It may not be a requirement but your gonna upset some controllers if you can't fly a proper Arrival or Departure when asked to do so. (BTW Flying Direct is not Acceptable).

So you can say oh its not a requirement but it's also not worth the aggravation or delays you may encounter by not doing it.

especially, when the Navigraph cost is quite acceptable...

first the cost... (10 Euros or $13 USD) for 100 credits

second ... each AIRAC cycle (13 a year or one every 4 weeks) cost 20 credits which would be 5 cycles worth. BUT

Navigraph offers a discount specifically for AIRAC updates (correct me if I'm wrong)... I believe it's 20 Euros (or $26 USD) for a full year (or 13 cycles) instead of just 10 cycles that 200 credits would normally buy)

third... If you have several add-on products... for instance PMDG add-ons, along with WILCO add-ons, and Level-D addons. You can download the cycle data for each of those products (all for that cycles' 20 credits) NOT 20 credits for each one... This makes it extremely cost effective for those with more than one company's add-ons.

Clarification: The reason for the "credit" system is that Navigraph offers charts and other products that have a "credit cost" so that once you buy some credits, you can pick and choose where you might divide up your purchase. The AIRAC discount mentioned above is an "all at once" allocation of your 200 credits to that particular discounted package.

Hope this helps

Clarification: The reason for the "credit" system is that Navigraph offers charts and other products that have a "credit cost" so that once you buy some credits, you can pick and choose where you might divide up your purchase. The AIRAC discount mentioned above is an "all at once" allocation of your 200 credits to that particular discounted package.

Hope this helps

I got a message from Navigraph that I believe next month they are changing to the more traditional method of buying updates (paying for each one). I tried to buy some credits a few days ago, but their CC module was blowing up, so it appears they're in the middle of the transition.