Sign in to follow this  
mgh

I do hope this is some sort of sick joke

So what is that all about - another PT in the making ? Oops, sorry, I mentioned the PT word

Guest dclnmurray

>Hi,>>http://www.fsplanet.com/trib.htm>>I really hope this is a load of rubbish, if not, does this>mean FSPlanet could steal my files and put them on his site,>and theres not a damn thing I can do about it?>>Hmmmm.....................>>Dan.I don't read anywhere where they state they can put any file they want on to their site. All I read is don't defame fsplanet in text files etcI don't see a problem.Dave

Guest danowat

Well, the way I read it, is that people put "not allowed to be uploaded to FSplanet" in their readmes, to stop FSplanet putting them on their site.Now people are "supposedly" not allowed to add this to thier readmes for fear of legal action.So there is nothing stopping FSplanet uploading any file, as the "not allowed to be uploaded to FSplanet" can no longer be shown in the readme?.I am now confusedDan.

Guest JDH

Easy way around that. Just say, "Please upload to Avsim/Flightsim.com/website of your choice ONLY" Don't mention "that" one. Nothing they can do about that then. It's up to you where your work is uploaded.It's YOUR property, not theirs. their legal people are clearly a) idiots or :( getting well "paid."

>I don't read anywhere where they state they can put any file>they want on to their site. All I read is don't defame>fsplanet in text files etc.This is all I can see too. From my dictionary..."defame v - to damage the good name of (a person or group)"There's nothing about asking people not to upload your file to FSPlanet in the text file, just don't make comments about the site in it.>It's YOUR property, not theirs.Exactly!

What is ALLEDGEDLY the problem with FSPlanet...........?

ngxu_banner.png

Guest danowat

Well, the short version of the story is this, ALLEDGEDLYHe uploads freeware files without the permission of the authour's, mantaining that because the file is freeware he is allowed to do this.When people tried to stop it they started adding text to their readme files along the lines of "do not upload to FSplanet", this has now lead to fsplanet filing this lawsuit mantaining that if anyone puts the above mentioned in thier readme file they will be taken to court, which I take it means he can continue to upload freeware files without the authors permission.Shame, really, its a only a hobby afterallDan.

Guest FattyBear

Heres a defamation: What a jerk. Thumbs down to FSplanet

Guys, Ferdy has not a pot to pee in. He can no more afford to prosecute a "defamation" claim than he could fly to the moon. He has threatened AVSIM numerous times, and each time we have encouraged him to "bring it on", nothing happens. The cost for him to prosecute a defammation claim from Spain would be enormous and that assumes a lawyer would even take such a stupid case in the first place. He's all bluff and bluster. The file is the author's property, and the author can restrict where that file is uploaded or transferred to. Putting "DO NOT UPLOAD TO FSPLANET" is not a defammation, it is the author's wishes and they are completely valid.When we bring the file mirror online, this BS will hopefully come to a stop. Any site in the world can access those files on the mirror, and there will be absolutely no reason to go to Ferdy's rip off site.

I gotta find something to upload just so I can include all the appropriate disclaimers about FSPlanet. Take your best shot Ferdy.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Freeware does not necessarily mean public domain. Authors retain copyright privileges and include in their license terms grants of how their naterial can be handled.If the author uploads an item that is fine. If he grants the right of a user to upload to other sites (usually with the restriction of maintaining the package intact) that's fine. I do not see why an author who retains copyright can not restrict the distribution to his choice of sites or restrict others.Precedent: Some commercial trade magazines restrict distribution to that industry only.

Guest CargoMun

Just put in a text file "May ONLY be uploaded to AVSim and nowhere else!" - None mentioned, none forgotten ;-)Or just put may not be uploaded ANYWHERE without written consent from author - and who can sue anyone over THAT :)

Guest B52Drivr

Hey Rat,I don't think Ferdy needs to be called PT . . . his name is bad enough as it is . . . maybe even better, as he steals and does it in the open and never gets slammed or caught or punished.There are enough bad names for the bad guys . . .not everone needs to be called PT.BestClay

What a joke :-)Just wait a few hours and I'll create some pictures of the court case I won :-) against FSplanet because they published my addons without my permission ...Why do you think there's nothing verifiable in this statement referring to this so-called "important court case" ??Not even the names of the sollicitors (which would be great advertising for them) .....He's obviously getting desperate by the sound of it; which does prove that the tactics of us (freeware designers) is working :-)The continuous stream of negative remarks about FSplanet is probably the only way to counter their ridiculous attitude towards publishing freeware if the author explicitely forbids that (for whatever motives). Because they assume (and they are probably right) that no freeware designer would ever take them to court for it.Regards, RobPS: What were you doing on FSplanet anyway :-) :-) ??????

I maintain the legal copyrights to all my original artwork. I can alone determine its distribution and state the parameters under which it is distributed. (this of course does not physically prevent others from stealing or moving my work beyond my grasp..and which point the legal onus is on me to deal with it or accept it.) Making a statement that it may only be uploaded to Avsim or another specific site does not specifically name FSPLANET, but does accomplish the same thing. No defamation or slander under any characterization can be made in this case.These guys are pathetic. In a US court, I think they would be thrown out on their ears.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg