Sign in to follow this  
Luc Brusselmans

I lost ALL my default airport buildings....

evening everyone,

Strange thing...

Whatever airport I choose to fly from, there are no airportbuildings to be seen anymore.

I first noticed this at KSEA but there are quite a few athers with the same problem.

My fsx is running on a 2600K intel o'clocked at 4500 Mhz and stable as a rock.

This thing happens in both DX9 as well as in DX10 and the funny thing is that all payware addon's are working just fine...

The only thing I have been fiddling around with today is a hardware FMC of Open Cockpits that I am planning to use with the PMDG 737NGX.

Can anybody shed a light on this?

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

evening everyone,

Strange thing...

Whatever airport I choose to fly from, there are no airportbuildings to be seen anymore.

I first noticed this at KSEA but there are quite a few athers with the same problem.

My fsx is running on a 2600K intel o'clocked at 4500 Mhz and stable as a rock.

This thing happens in both DX9 as well as in DX10 and the funny thing is that all payware addon's are working just fine...

The only thing I have been fiddling around with today is a hardware FMC of Open Cockpits that I am planning to use with the PMDG 737NGX.

Can anybody shed a light on this?

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Hmm, me too occasionally. I flew out of CYYZ and plenty of jetways, no buildings ;o(

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

The main texture folder in FSX is missing some texture files, the addon airports are not affected because their textures are installed in their own folders. If you happen to have another install of FSX on an older computer you may be in luck because you can copy the contents of the texture folder over.

It is imperative that the main texture folder is backed up when one installs FSX or FS9.

\Robert Hamlich/

Robert,

In that case I am a lucky guy.

I have backups (yes several) from the complete fsx installation...

It's too late now but first thing tomorrow, I restote the texture folder.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Oh that's good Luc. I checked my Texture folder properties, it contains 229Mb numbering in at 1652 files in all. You will have to rerun any program that has installed cloud textures such as ActiveSky or RealEnvironment Extreme, it seems all the other textures are unaffected.

\Robert Hamlich/

Robert,

As said last night, I copied (restored) my original textures back into place....

but no luck. At KSEA, KORD and a bunch of other large airports, the buildings are still missing.

Any suggestions?

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

Have you updated the afcad file using ADe at all because when you recompile you can sometimes lose the buildings in the process. However that would have no bearing on all the other airports.

Mike P

Luc,

Verify that you're level of detail settings in the Settings menu haven't changed/been changed. If they're too low, you won't see any default buildings (or other things).

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hopefully that is all it was as Dave wrote. Did you modify any files within FSX? There may be an issue with your dll.xml and/or your scenery.cfg... can we see the contents of your dll.xml and scenery.cfg?

i will check my entries and compare them to yours and lets see if we can find the issue.

\Robert Hamlich/

Robert,

Like I said, I had been fiddling around with the hardware fmc of open cockpits...

However, since I had, besides the copy of fsx, a clone of my hd, I decided to restore the whole harddisk.

Great... All airports back to normal.

Only my luck didn't last long.

Since the restored hd was of a complete vanilla intallation of win7and fsx, I decided to install a few sceneries. I picked, among the dozens I own, KLAS and KLAX, both from fsdreamteam.

And, as you can guess, airportbuildings gone again. Removing the two airports and setting back the exe.xml and dll.xml didn't solve my problem either so now I am completely lost.

Are the two airports to blame? It seems so but browsing the forum over at fsdreamteam doesn't give me any indication of this. There are topics talking about missing scenery but those are about the scenery of fsdreamteam itself and those are not affected in my installation...

Can you check something for me?

When you open your configurationscreen of windows, can you see both fsx and fsx acceleration in the add/remove programs....

I find only the acceleration pack to remove... Fsx itself is nowhere to be seen.

I reset my win7 installation to a clean state (no pragrms whatsoever) and I am reinstalling fsx from scratch as I type this.

I hope to find the solution in a clean install (and not a restore from a older file)

Thanks for looking into this with me

Luc Brusselmans

Belgium

I will attach the files when I have finished the clean install (and if I run into trouble again)

Hi Luc,

Try tuning off all your AI aircraft and see if the buildings reappear. I read somewhere that too many AI aircraft can overwhelm texture rendering at large airports and the result is the problem you describe.

Hope that helps,

Bill in CO

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

All of my airports are empty, too.

Oh wait, I'm running X-Plane. :lol:

Seriously, I hope you get this straightened out. FSX can be so frustrating at times.

Bill,

Thanks for the tip.

Since I was in the middle of a reinstall the first time, my ai-traffic was still at a modest 25% and no ai-packages were installed.

before the reinstall Icould run traffic at about 75%without trouble so I would be surprised that the this could cause my problem. But I keep an open mind about these things because fsx can act unpredictable at the best of times.

Luc Bruselmans

Belgium

What is your scenery complexity setting? Believe this removes buildings.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Luc,

I have Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration listed. I am unsure as to why the installation of the 2 FSDT airports is causing issues.

\Robert Hamlich/