Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

REX Essential PLUS vs OpusFSX

Anyone did a comparison between the improved wx engine in REX Essential PLUS and OpusFSX yet?

Richard Åsberg

I dont think anyone has been able to download it yet. I've been trying since it's release. I'm curious about that too myself.

Same here but I do think some must have been able to download it but of course chances are not that big those few who managed to get hold of it are also OpusFSX owners...just have to wait a while then I guess but will be interesting to see and/or hear the result!

Bought OpusFSX not long ago and so far I'm very pleased but of course it's always interesting to see what's around the corner. Also OpusFSX will be updated soon as I understood it and that will make it even better so this seem to be great time for wx engines :wink:

Richard Åsberg

I'll probably just use my REX for the hi res textures and Opus for the weather engine and camera views. I've never seen a weather engine that worked as good as Opus.

I'll probably just use my REX for the hi res textures and Opus for the weather engine and camera views. I've never seen a weather engine that worked as good as Opus.

I highly doubt I will use anything but OpusFSX myself considering how happy I am with it. At the moment I'm using it with AS 2012 cloud textures since I never managed to find REX cloud textures I like or textures that look realistic and as good as in all screenshots featuring REX.

Richard Åsberg

This is a huge dilemma now. Opus FSX has been spot on accurate as to the depicted weather and METARS. REX has always been far from being accurate. I would think they would have rectified this by now with a major upgarde.

Now REX Plus has winds aloft and Opus doesnt,.. yet.

But I continue to have these sudden wind shifts, which cause drops and increases in airspeed and altitude. While their support has been outstanding to try to rectify it ,it continues and everytime I fly with VAFS I get penalized for my bad G forces.

Ive downloaded REX plus since im an owner of the original anyhow, but havnt run it yet as I have a P3D key issue.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I dont think anyone has been able to download it yet.

I downloaded REXe+ last night. First tried it with Firefox and it froze up but then I did it with FlashGet (like they advise) and it downloaded pretty smoothly in about 10 minutes. So far, I really like it. I've had none of the issues that I've had with the previous version (which were plentiful, i.e. freezes, crashes, painfully slow loading, disrupting injections, etc). Knocking on wood, of course, I think they really did it right this time.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The OpusFSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

See a couple of comments towards the end of this thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/390330-rex-essential-plus-and-overdrive-are-ready/page__st__50

It's way too early and there are way too many variables to get too carried away with comparisons at this point for the reasons stated in the thread. These are initial impressions.

BTW, if you're having trouble DL'ing, I'd strongly recommend holding off on doing the OD part, and just upgrade to Plus. It's a far smaller DL, so you can get going and try the new functions now, and then pick up the OD textures later when server loads drop.

Scott

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The OpusFSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

Good grief Jim, not sure why you moved this. It is not a Opus support thread. It is mainly about the new features of REX.

80% of the posts so far are about downloading REX. The Opus forum is about Opus, and should be OPUS only

Rex is first mentioned in the topic title. No dis respect Jim, but sometimes I think you get trigger happy. :smile:

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

It seems like the Plus mode included with the REXE+ weather engine uses a similar method to injecting weather that OpusFSX does and has the same advantages i.e. instant injection with minimal stutters and interference. One advantage REXE+ has is that it now features historical weather (which I think is one of the next major features for OpusFSX) but I'm not sure how well it works yet. I am still very disappointed with the lack of decent visibiliy controls in REXE+ which haven't really been improved at all. Both AS2012 and OpusFSX allow you to set maximum surface level visibility and maximum upper level visibility too. REXE+ still doesn't offer this functionality it seems.

All in all I'm not sure if I will use the REXE+ weather engine as OpusFSX is working perfectly well for me right now. I'm not at all interested in winds aloft because I've yet to see a developer implement it whilst eliminating the suddent spikes and shifts that we all know too well.

Oh and if anyone is wondering the additional textures in REXE+ OD seem to be the same additional ones that came with the original Overdrive package. Not sure why they needed to re-write OD for REXE in all honesty.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The OpusFSX Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Thanks Tom. I hope Jim doesn't think I was being rude to him. Far from it.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I would like to address several items brought up in this post.

First, in regards to download issues we are aware of the slowness and we are actively working on it as I type. We greatly appreciate everyones patience.

Secondly, @hightowers I am not sure but are you the one who has been emailing me about his P3D issue. I just got your most recent email and I will respond to you shortly.

Thirdly, @those that seem to say REX is too complicated to configure. We are offering a FREE online training session tomorrow at 19UTC to help with that,

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21896-training-session-1-installation-and-configuration/

Four, @those wondering what the PLUS is all about. Yes the upgrade includes fixes as well as an upgrade version for Overdrive. We also have included a new weather engine that is based upon the Weather Theme process, which includes real weather, archive weather, and you can use the random weather feature. We also include real upper level winds. We also have included a download center which will include in time new textures and additional fun stuff. This feature also allows us to make updates to REX Essential Plus/OD with out having to make HUGE downloads from here on out.

Fifth, @those wanting to know why we re-wrote Overdrive - We have moved on to REX "3" Essential with many new features over REX 2. We didn't want to leave those who had Overdrive out of the picture.

Finally, @kannwar - In the manual there are instructions under the heading of Visibility on how to set various custom levels of visibility. We feel this gives the user more control than just setting a max/min level. If you need help on how to do this please email me at: r_stough@realenvironmentxtreme.com

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

One advantage REXE+ has is that it now features historical weather (which I think is one of the next major features for OpusFSX) but I'm not sure how well it works yet.

Seemed to work fine when I tried it last night. Bit slow to do the initial load of METARs and winds aloft, but no delays on injection after that. I picked an arbitrary day in July. The servers currently only have 2012 data, though REX says this will be expanded in time.

Scott