Sign in to follow this  
furger

Best of both worlds (DX10 and non-DX10 switching)

I really enjoy DX10 features. However I also encounter currently non solvable problems e.g. with non compatible night textures on airports I would like to handle and non functionable effects in highly sophisticated aicrafts like FLIR in VRS' TacPack. I now wonder whether there is a simple way to select before or on startup of FSX whether DX10 or non-DX10 mode with all the respective parameters (within fsx.cfg but also NvidiaInspector, etc.) shall run.

Any good idea on that?

Andreas Furger

Hallo

Use "flusifix" from Wolfgang Picheta. There you can choose dx9 or dx10 mode before starting fsx. There is also an English version available.

Greetings from Hamburg!

Leonhardt

I really enjoy DX10 features. However I also encounter currently non solvable problems e.g. with non compatible night textures on airports I would like to handle and non functionable effects in highly sophisticated aicrafts like FLIR in VRS' TacPack. I now wonder whether there is a simple way to select before or on startup of FSX whether DX10 or non-DX10 mode with all the respective parameters (within fsx.cfg but also NvidiaInspector, etc.) shall run.

Any good idea on that?

I have 2 desktop shortcuts - one for DX9 and one for DX10. I copied the fsx.exe to fsx-dx10.exe and then set up an NVIDIA Inspector profile with the new fsx-dx10.exe file. My shortcut uses -CFG switch which points to a separate fsx-dx10.cfg file. This way I can run either one independent of the other profile.

I was wondering how to this myself.BUt.When you switch from dx10 to dx9 wouldn't you have to undo some of the fixes (like rebuild shaders,edit the patchoptions and so on ) ?

I was wondering how to this myself.BUt.When you switch from dx10 to dx9 wouldn't you have to undo some of the fixes (like rebuild shaders,edit the patchoptions and so on ) ?

No, The shader fixes, etc are for DX10 mode only. DX9 and DX10 each have their own shader files so you can run each version independent of the other.

If you use FSUIPC, I think you need to set up a separate file in the modules directory to reference your new fsx-dx10.exe.

If you use FSUIPC, I think you need to set up a separate file in the modules directory to reference your new fsx-dx10.exe.

Not sure I'm following you.Why would I need to do that ? Maybe I didn't read the how-to-doc right. :blush:

I have 2 desktop shortcuts - one for DX9 and one for DX10. I copied the fsx.exe to fsx-dx10.exe and then set up an NVIDIA Inspector profile with the new fsx-dx10.exe file. My shortcut uses -CFG switch which points to a separate fsx-dx10.cfg file. This way I can run either one independent of the other profile.

How did you do the cfg-switch having two different fsx.cfg?

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

FSUIPC could care less whether you are in DX9 or DX10 Preview mode. You do not need separate folders for DX10 and DX9 modes.

Best regards,

Jim

Respectfully, I don't see how this is possible. In fact, it is impossible! FSX can only read one fsx.cfg and that's in your User\App\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder. If this was possible, you could make a lot of money! Now, if you started up FSX in DX10 mode, you could save a DX10.cfg there and load it whenever you enable DX10. If you are in DX9 mode, you'll still have to start up FSX, go to settings and click on DX10 Preview. This will require a restart. So close FSX and restart. Once restarted, load your DX10 preview config.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So - tell me how I have eight configs, and can use them all?

https://www.dropbox....wj42/Image1.jpg

Of course it's possible - one just has to have a mechanism to copy\rename one of those as fsx.cfg. That's all that Fiziflax thingy does.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I have been running multiple profile for years. Generally it was to switch between using a single monitor and multiple monitors(projectors).

Here is how to do it...

1. Copy your fsx.exe to fsx-dx10.exe

2. Copy your fsx.cfg to a new fsx-dx10.cfg and put it in your FSX main folder.

3. Create a new shortcut to run fsx-dx10.exe.

4. In the shortcut target, use this "c:\Program files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\fsx-dx10.exe" /CFG fsx-dx10.cfg

(notice the /CFG is outside the quotes)

5. If using FSUIPC, and you want separate set ups. Go to the main fsx folder\modules. Copy FSUIPC.key to FSUIPC-dx10.key, FSUIPC.log to FSUIPC-dx10.log, FSUIPC.ini to FSUIPC-dx10.ini,

6. Go to NVIDIA Inspector and create a new profile. Point it to the new fsx-dx10.exe. Set it up for the DX10.

Fly and enjoy your new DX10 simulator!

FSUIPC could care less whether you are in DX9 or DX10 Preview mode. You do not need separate folders for DX10 and DX9 modes.

Best regards,

Jim

Respectfully, I don't see how this is possible. In fact, it is impossible! FSX can only read one fsx.cfg and that's in your User\App\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder. If this was possible, you could make a lot of money! Now, if you started up FSX in DX10 mode, you could save a DX10.cfg there and load it whenever you enable DX10. If you are in DX9 mode, you'll still have to start up FSX, go to settings and click on DX10 Preview. This will require a restart. So close FSX and restart. Once restarted, load your DX10 preview config.

Best regards,

Jim

Oh contraire mon frere...

I have been using separate fsx.exe files depending if I am running the sim on my desktop monitor or switching to my simulator with 3 projectors. Each set up has a separate exe files. my desktop for example is fsx-sm.exe (single monitor) and fsx-mm.exe (multi monitors). Each one points to a different config file for different display resolutions, traffic, realism setting, etc. I also have different Inspector setting for each.

I just used the same principle to set up a separate dx10 version to run so it would not interference with my current setups.

As for FSUIPC, the program looks for the executing fsx file. So if you change the .exe name and would still like to use FSUIPC you need to copy the files in your modules folder to match. That info came from Peter Dowson's FSUIPC forum.

I hope it works for you...

Oh contraire mon frere...

I have been using separate fsx.exe files depending if I am running the sim on my desktop monitor or switching to my simulator with 3 projectors. Each set up has a separate exe files. my desktop for example is fsx-sm.exe (single monitor) and fsx-mm.exe (multi monitors). Each one points to a different config file for different display resolutions, traffic, realism setting, etc. I also have different Inspector setting for each.

I just used the same principle to set up a separate dx10 version to run so it would not interference with my current setups.

As for FSUIPC, the program looks for the executing fsx file. So if you change the .exe name and would still like to use FSUIPC you need to copy the files in your modules folder to match. That info came from Peter Dowson's FSUIPC forum.

I hope it works for you...

Yey, it seems to work, but configs have to be saved in:

C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Edit: proofed! It even saves the settings in the renamed configs. Great finding from dandimm.

Thank you!

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I have been running multiple profile for years. Generally it was to switch between using a single monitor and multiple monitors(projectors).

Here is how to do it...

1. Copy your fsx.exe to fsx-dx10.exe

2. Copy your fsx.cfg to a new fsx-dx10.cfg and put it in your FSX main folder.

3. Create a new shortcut to run fsx-dx10.exe.

4. In the shortcut target, use this "c:\Program files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\fsx-dx10.exe" /CFG fsx-dx10.cfg

(notice the /CFG is outside the quotes)

5. If using FSUIPC, and you want separate set ups. Go to the main fsx folder\modules. Copy FSUIPC.key to FSUIPC-dx10.key, FSUIPC.log to FSUIPC-dx10.log, FSUIPC.ini to FSUIPC-dx10.ini,

6. Go to NVIDIA Inspector and create a new profile. Point it to the new fsx-dx10.exe. Set it up for the DX10.

Fly and enjoy your new DX10 simulator!

@dandimm

Great, really great :yahoo: - exactly what I was looking for -Thank you

Andreas Furger

yes... but what about ezdok? It cant be done with ezdok because it only sees fsx.exe?

yes... but what about ezdok? It cant be done with ezdok because it only sees fsx.exe?

I don't know anything about EZDok so I would know about why it does not work for the new FSX.EXE file.

Please keep in mind that you do not have to rename the .exe to use the /CFG switch for a separate DX10 config file. I only did this so I could maintain two different NVIDIA Inspector setting.