Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AOTD for 12/18 - Beaver Creek YXQ Canada

Another user submitted aerocache. This one requires a pretty long flight so no worries about the marker popping up while you're still on the runway.

Enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

No problem here. Flew right to the airport using an outbound radial from Northway. When I spotted the airport, I wasn't sure it was right as there were no clear runway markings. As I got closer, I knew it had to be the right one, because I could see the aerocache marker blinking in the distance. I overflew the airport to see the layout, flew the circuit, landed, and taxied over to where I could walk to the cache.

I then realized that I hadn't recorded a landing at Northway, so I went back there and landed. From there I took a cargo job to Tok2.

I agree that this was one of the better ones we've had.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I'll do it now, but if the Alaska Highway is present, then I'll just fly IFR (I Follow Roads) all the way down. :lol:

Best regards.

Luis

Interesting flight. No job board here a. At least it is in Canada. For an official port of entry there is not much here. The custom inspectors must be in that little building with no windows?

Steve

I took off from Skagway (in the panhandle, 240 miles to the southeast) in the RV-6, and flew mostly over the southwestern Yukon. I rode Northway's 114 inbound, and was also tuned to Gulkana, looking for its 058 intersection at CXYQ. I was surprised how long I was able to receive both of these. Northway was solid almost all the way from Skagway, and Gulkana was mostly there if I stayed above 7700 feet.

On the way, I came across Burwash Airport (CYDB), and landed there. Like Beaver Creek, there is a light or two, and maybe a windsock (I forget), but no runway or runway lights. I landed several times to see if it would increment my unique airport count, but no.

BTW, I just noticed my "Favorite Airplane" has finally changed from the RV-6 to "Carbon Cub Fireball." It's about time. Nearly all my flying in Alaska has been with the Cub.

I noticed that landing at Beaver Creek didn't increase my unique airport count either. But, it did increase my landings count.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

Probably because the lack of airport facilities means there is no unique airport to count. If only there were some way to add scenery to Flight. The only thing missing in this game is content, but what is there is so good. B)

Best regards.

Luis

Sounds like an exciting adventure. I am Canadian so anything Canadian in MS Flight intrests me. Once I figure out how to do aerocache's could I still do this challenge or is it a one day only kind of thing?

Moe

These are daily challenges, so the Aerocache itself only shows up for one day. But, the airfield is still there, although there are no runways, aprons, taxiways, terminals, etc. So, you can fly there anytime you want.

Best regards.

Luis