Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brucek

Current status of Pro-ATC?

Can anyone who actually has a current version of this add-on comment about it's current functionality and any bug status? I've read the original review back in June, and an update in October where there still appeared to be diverse opinions as to it's functionality. I am also in the process of reading a review here at AVSIM. I might be a potential customer if it offerred any substantial advantage over even the default FSX ATC.

I have used MS Voice-Pak to customize my FSX ATC and currently use the "European" format which although it refers to "Center" as "Control", it also offers some randomized common courtesies between AI and ATC, which is often present in the RW. I also have the voice speed at faster than default to try to get around ATC getting behind the traffic, and it certainly has enhanced it. But, the same voices all the time- it would be good to get something where different accents were available, if not automatically used, when geographical location is changed between countries or even regions with a country.

Thanks for any heads up on this, and a vety Merry Christmas to all those who observe this holiday.

Bruce.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

it would be good to get something where different accents were available

Well, you are in luck with ProATC! You can even download and use the voice recorder where you can even record your own voice. Owners are now starting to upload several addon voices they made too. I have the latest update and it works great. You can even download the current AIRAC data and it is fully compatible with the NGX. The developer continues to listen to the owners and makes changes almost immediately. If there is a crash, you'll usually get feedback on the cause the same day. I have received immediate support from the developer and I heard others have too. I am confident this product will exceed expectations one day soon for most (it has already for me!). I think it's better than the default and one can even listen to the default ATC to hear about nearby aircraft. I have personally turned it off as I also have background ATC and it is a bit much to follow. I also employ AI Smooth to monitor my AI and make sure AI stays out of my path, on the ground and in the air. Merry Christmas!

Best regards,

Jim

Well, you are in luck with ProATC! You can even download and use the voice recorder where you can even record your own voice. Owners are now starting to upload several addon voices they made too. I have the latest update and it works great. You can even download the current AIRAC data and it is fully compatible with the NGX. The developer continues to listen to the owners and makes changes almost immediately. If there is a crash, you'll usually get feedback on the cause the same day. I have received immediate support from the developer and I heard others have too. I am confident this product will exceed expectations one day soon for most (it has already for me!). I think it's better than the default and one can even listen to the default ATC to hear about nearby aircraft. I have personally turned it off as I also have background ATC and it is a bit much to follow. I also employ AI Smooth to monitor my AI and make sure AI stays out of my path, on the ground and in the air. Merry Christmas!

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim....you seem to be the resident expert on Pro/ATC and I have been kind of following it's development from a far. Like others the search for good ATC never seems to end....lol...My question is does it now work ok for VFR and no-controled airfields. I do a lot of low and slow and like to beat the pattern for landing practice often. Most of the comments I have read are the tubeliner IFR types. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Sam,

I'm an IFR'er and big tube pilot. I have not tried ProATC in VFR yet but don't see why it would not work. You'll make a VFR flightplan (you can do this with the FSX flightplan but you'll also have to set up one in ProATC too (or import/export the plan). You'll need to go into ProATC and Data/Aircrafts and set up an aircraft, say, the default B200 King Air, first. Right now the default ProATC has only heavies listed but you can list any aircraft, turboprop or jet. You'll need to select this aircraft when you make that VFR flight plan. Once the aircraft and flight plan have been developed, go fly. Go to your takeoff airport and select the number 1 to bring up the ProATC menu. Request clearance and you go from there. You will also have background ATC if you want too during your flight. Your co-pilot should set all of the NAV/COM speed, altitude, and maybe even more settings. You, as the Pilot just sits back and watch him/her in action. The co-pilot will even ask for taxi and takeoff instructions if you so desire and once off the ground, the co-pilot should be able to turn on the AP and you'll fly to your destination. Should you desire to takeover the aircraft, you can do so. Perhaps others here in this forum have already done a VFR flight and can confirm or deny this happens. If it's like the co-pilot taking over a 737, you'll be able to have the co-pilot do about everything except steer the aircraft on the ground or in the air. I may try this myself when I get a chance as I think it would be nice to have a VFR flight in a turbo once in awhile.

Hope this answers your question.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Sam,

I'm an IFR'er and big tube pilot. I have not tried ProATC in VFR yet but don't see why it would not work. You'll make a VFR flightplan (you can do this with the FSX flightplan but you'll also have to set up one in ProATC too (or import/export the plan). You'll need to go into ProATC and Data/Aircrafts and set up an aircraft, say, the default B200 King Air, first. Right now the default ProATC has only heavies listed but you can list any aircraft, turboprop or jet. You'll need to select this aircraft when you make that VFR flight plan. Once the aircraft and flight plan have been developed, go fly. Go to your takeoff airport and select the number 1 to bring up the ProATC menu. Request clearance and you go from there. You will also have background ATC if you want too during your flight. Your co-pilot should set all of the NAV/COM speed, altitude, and maybe even more settings. You, as the Pilot just sits back and watch him/her in action. The co-pilot will even ask for taxi and takeoff instructions if you so desire and once off the ground, the co-pilot should be able to turn on the AP and you'll fly to your destination. Should you desire to takeover the aircraft, you can do so. Perhaps others here in this forum have already done a VFR flight and can confirm or deny this happens. If it's like the co-pilot taking over a 737, you'll be able to have the co-pilot do about everything except steer the aircraft on the ground or in the air. I may try this myself when I get a chance as I think it would be nice to have a VFR flight in a turbo once in awhile.

Hope this answers your question.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim....will look forward to you report when you get a chance to try in VFR mode and Any infor from the others who have tried it would be great!!

I would like to know if the RealATC chatter package for US & Canada is working out, as i don't particularly want to hear chatter from the UK & Europe when i am flying from say KSFO to CYVR & are there any North American Controller voices? Absolutely no disrespect intended by the way, purely a realism factor.I am just about ready to jump in and purchase this program.

Regards,

I would like to know if the RealATC chatter package for US & Canada is working out

I have it and it is perfect with ProATC. It has wave folders for Clearance, Departure, Tower, Ground, Center, and Approach.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim....will look forward to you report when you get a chance to try in VFR mode and Any infor from the others who have tried it would be great!!

It does not work. I set up a new aircraft in the ProATC-X Data program - the default Beechcraft King Air 350. I then set up a flight plan from KLAX to KSAN. Everything seemed to be okay but, when I selected Fly Now and clicked on 1 to ask for clearance I got nothing even though I set my COM to clearance deliver at KLAX (think 121.40). No background ATC either. So I was dead in the water so to speak. I tried it several times and no communications. I haven't heard of anyone else setting up a twin engine aircraft and flying VFR either. I suspect this will be fixed some day soon.

Best regards,

Jim

It does not work. I set up a new aircraft in the ProATC-X Data program - the default Beechcraft King Air 350. I then set up a flight plan from KLAX to KSAN. Everything seemed to be okay but, when I selected Fly Now and clicked on 1 to ask for clearance I got nothing even though I set my COM to clearance deliver at KLAX (think 121.40). No background ATC either. So I was dead in the water so to speak. I tried it several times and no communications. I haven't heard of anyone else setting up a twin engine aircraft and flying VFR either. I suspect this will be fixed some day soon.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim

ProATC/X does work with twin engine and GA aircraft. In fact testing is done using GA aircraft and not just the NGX. ProATC/X now offers better support for the NGX with the latest update.

With reference to VFR using PRoATC/X, this has been answered by the Developer over in the ProATC/X forum

My suggestions would be to ask any questions over on the ProATC/X forum, there they will get answered, normally very quickly ^_^

The next release will have better support for flying with GA aircraft

Thanks

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim

Thanks for giving it a try. I had not really seen much info about GA and VFR. It is understandable at this point in the developement. I know theses guys are working hard on this program and I think that all this will get ironed out in due time. It has been a really good year for FSX with this program and OPUS coming along and looks like a new version of the popular A2A enhancement due out any day now.

Thanks again!

Hi Jim

ProATC/X does work with twin engine and GA aircraft. In fact testing is done using GA aircraft and not just the NGX. ProATC/X now offers better support for the NGX with the latest update.

With reference to VFR using PRoATC/X, this has been answered by the Developer over in the ProATC/X forum

My suggestions would be to ask any questions over on the ProATC/X forum, there they will get answered, normally very quickly ^_^

Thanks

Hi and thanks for your quick input. I have now started to monitor you site for more information. By the way, I have watched your new movies and that is a good idea. Very nicely done. I am sure many simmers will find them to be very helpful. Good luck with your project and thanks for taking it on. Not a simple feat for sure!!

Thanks

Hi Jim

Thanks

Yikes! I have been reprimanded! Apologize for stepping on your turf (although history proves I was there first). I am a strong supporter of ProATC and Mourad knows me well. A PM would have sufficed....

Best regards,

Jim

Had a look at some of the video's (which btw are way longer then they need to be imho: what I get to see in half an hour could have been explained in a few minutes... Of course I do appreciate the effort. ;) ) and I noticed the planner has SID transitions but not the actual SID. Does ATC give you the SID when you are in the plane or is this it and do you have to fly straight to that transition? I noticed you can pick anything as a SID transition which seems to tell me no real SIDs will be used during the flight... The same goes for STARs.

Had a look at some of the video's (which btw are way longer then they need to be imho: what I get to see in half an hour could have been explained in a few minutes... Of course I do appreciate the effort. ;) ) and I noticed the planner has SID transitions but not the actual SID. Does ATC give you the SID when you are in the plane or is this it and do you have to fly straight to that transition? I noticed you can pick anything as a SID transition which seems to tell me no real SIDs will be used during the flight... The same goes for STARs.

BTW I echo Jim's comments on ProATC's development. Not perfect by any means but far better then default ATC and arguably better than others out there and will probably be the best very soon. The key is active development and support of which others are dead. Its rare to get answers to questions or issues within a day sometimes hours.

To answer your question, yes you should be flying real SIDS and STARS and file them on the flighplan by the end transition and beginning accordingly. Your SID will be assigned on clearnece delivery and on approach the STAR to fly will be assigned. The AIRAC data curremt;imported in to pro atc reads the restrictions and waypoints. There are issues at times but they are being addressed in due time.

Same for the active runway , but that is usually FSX screwing things up or depends on what the AI is doing in accordance with weather.

Im hoping that they will have some control of the AI in the future to ensure the landing and departing runway is in accordance with the winds.

It was expensive at first, but Im really pleased with its progression and look forward to what it has in store.

Dave

Guys,

I'm pitching these videos so that a totally 'newbie' can take away something from them and hopefully more 'experienced' FS users can see how the software works.

Flight planning part 3 will show more of what ProATC/X can do in the flight planning area.

Yes, ProATC/X does use RW SIDs/STARs also it import AIRAC data. This will be explained in part 3.

There will also be a full flight video from cold&dark to landing to show how ProATC/X works.

I can't please everyone all the time.

There is not a 'dedicated forum here on AVSIM, as Pointsoft has it own forum that support there own product(s). Therefore please use that forum if you have any constructive feedback/requirements.

Yes, it has been a rocky road for this product, but I'm sure with everyones experience and feedback it can become a very good product.

@Jim...Didn't mean it to come across in that manner....my apologies if it read that way.

I just flew the latest version (1137) and was absolutely blown away with all the improvements. I had the best ProATC flight experience to date with interaction between ATC and the co-pilot all the way down to landing. Here are the listed improvements -

New features

- Manually request for descent initialization.

- You may now request for a specific altitude +/- 4000 feet of the assigned altitude.

- Flightplan information added to In-Flight menu. Displayed are cruising altitude, assigned altitude, assigned SID, assigned takeoff runway, assigned STAR, assigned Approach, assigned Approach Transition and assigned landing runway.

- Implementation of PMDGs NGX SDK: The copilot is now able to setup more things within the NGX panel (Lights, gear, autopilot).

I liked the last improvement the best as the co-pilot is now able to do about everything except program the FMC. Gives me more time to sit back and look out the passenger view window. Changing the altitudes as requested by ATC is a big plus as he/she handles all the descent chores too. I like the fact you now have access to all flightplan information updated throughout the flight. Nice!

Best regards,

Jim

Had a look at some of the video's (which btw are way longer then they need to be imho: what I get to see in half an hour could have been explained in a few minutes...

I must disagree. For the first time, I have actually watched an instructional video that leaves little room for misunderstanding. If I have anything to say in the way of feedback on these videos it would be to maintain the same level of attention to detail in all future vids.

Keep up the good work, Clive. I for one am about to purchase this program, so I need and appreciate this kind of excellent support.

Regards,

I liked the last improvement the best as the co-pilot is now able to do about everything except program the FMC. Gives me more time to sit back and look out the passenger view window. Changing the altitudes as requested by ATC is a big plus as he/she handles all the descent chores too. I like the fact you now have access to all flightplan information updated throughout the flight. Nice!

Jim, many thanks for your updates on Pro ATC. Like the sound of the development so far, and sounds like Dev support is on a par with Opus. Looks like I like Rick will take the plunge. Have a sore backside sitting on the fence:)

Jim, many thanks for your updates on Pro ATC. Like the sound of the development so far, and sounds like Dev support is on a par with Opus. Looks like I like Rick will take the plunge. Have a sore backside sitting on the fence:)

I think you and Rick are making great choices. I'm not their salesman but MBA at Pointsoft is really active in making this product work the way WE want it. His responses to my queries have always been within 24 hours even though he's on the other side of the pond from my location. Don't forget you'll also need to buy a program like RealATC if you want USA background ATC. You'll also need to import AIRAC from Navigraph nDAC3 or NavDataPro from AeroSoft. Have fun!

Best regards,

Jim

Don't forget you'll also need to buy a program like RealATC if you want USA background ATC. You'll also need to import AIRAC from Navigraph nDAC3 or NavDataPro from AeroSoft. Have fun!

Have all those extras like Real ATC etc, so will be good to go.

Don't forget you'll also need to buy a program like RealATC if you want USA background ATC.

Hi Jim.

Do you purchase the Ultimate RealATC collection and the edit for ProATC/X, or just the Edit?

Thanks,

Bought it! Did a first flight with it. Love it!

However, it wasn't too easy getting it all started because the supplied documentation is er... not exactly sufficient to get you started. First of all there is no manual...?!? Luckily there is a Help file but A LOT of MANDATORY information to get you going is NOWHERE to be found in it. No mention at ALL about MakeRunways being needed (or even what it is or where to get it!), no mention at ALL about having to build a database and align stuff, no mention at ALL where the flightplans are saved... And btw I luckily knew it but I think it's also a bad thing the purchase page doesn't mention you need to buy an AIRAC elsewhere in order to fully use the software... and that you have to figure out yourself where to get it and which options you have. In short: very, very bad...

Luckily this is where the bad part ends. ^_^ I just did my first flight (after figuring out everything myself...) and it worked perfectly from start to finish. And as I said above: I LOVE IT! Too much awesome things to mention here, specially because I want to dedicate the rest of my post to a short tutorial I wrote after figuring out how everything worked. Again, all this information REALLY should have been supplied with the software... Anyway, here it goes:

Installing ProATC/X

These are MANDATORY steps you have to go through in order to use ProATC/X!

Some of these steps may take a while (mainly the ones related to the AIRAC) so be patient and make sure to not continue until everything is finished.

1. Purchase, download and install ProATC/X from

http://www.pointsoftware.de/proatcx_e/order.html

2. Download the latest update from

http://www.pointsoft...e/download.html

and install it by unzipping the zip into the ProATC/X folder.

3. Download MakeRunways from

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

and put the MakeRwys.exe that is in the zip into your main FSX folder.

4. Purchase the latest AIRAC through

NavDataPro http://en.shop.aerosoft.com (search for NavDataPro: you can buy a single dataset or two kinds of one year subscriptions)

or

Navigraph http://www.navigraph...www/default.asp

5. Install the AIRAC (NavDataPro lets you install the AIRAC for the addons you want through a program interface while Navigraph has a seperate installer for every addon).

6. Start ProATC/X, click on DATA, choose Import > AIRAC DATA and click on Start Import.

7. When the DATA has been imported, click on DATA, choose Import > Align AIRAC with Scenery and click on Rebuild Scenery DB (this will run MakeRwys automatically).

8. When MakeRwys is done, click on Start Alignment (in the same Align AIRAC with Scenery window).

9. Now you will have to set up the Options. The most important ones are on the Options > In-Flight tab and Options > Path to folders. Most are pretty selfexplanatory but I have two notes:

Note 1: In order to enable 'Generate PMDG 737 NGX flight plan' you FIRST have to set the path to the PMDG folder in the main FSX folder on the Options > Path to folders tab! The path is \Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS\NGX\. After setting the path press Save and then go back to Options > In-Flight to enable 'Generate PMDG 737 NGX flight plan'!

Note 2: The option 'Assign waypoints of SIDs/STARs/Airways' is off by default and should be off in most occasions. Do NOT enable this thinking it is needed in order to get SIDs and STARs assigned! (See the HELP section in ProATC/X to see what it is meant for).

This concluded the mandatory steps!

A few additional notes about loading a flight

I also have a few notes about loading flights because this was a bit confusing at first (for me anyway) and this might save newbies quite some time.

1. When you save a flight in ProATC/X you only save it in ProATC/X: the flight is NOT saved (immediately) for FSX or the PMDG 737 NGX! (See below.)

2. In order to 'enable' a plan for use in FSX you have to doubleclick on the flightplan in ProATC/X and choose Fly now. However... this is only possible if you started FSX first! So if you have created a new plan and start FSX afterwards you won't be able to click on Fly now. In that case you have to quit ProATC/X and start it again and only then you will be able to click on Fly now.

3. You have to load the desired airplane and position it at the airport and gate that you also chose while creating the plan: ProATC/X won't do this for you.

4. You won't be able to load the ProATC/X flightplan on the main menu of FSX (so before you started the flight). (See below.)

5. When you start a flight the radio's will automatically be set to ATIS (active, so you will hear it immediately) and Clearance (standby). In order to actually start the flight, switch the com frequencies and press 1 to open the ProATC/X menu and ask for clearance. Funny thing: when you start with a cold and dark cockpit you WILL hear ATIS anyway, but you won't be able to switch radio's until you turned on the battery... so if you start cold and dark and hear ATIS, turn on the battery, switch com frequencies and THEN press 1 and ask for clearance.

6. ONLY AFTER GETTING CLEARANCE your flightplan will actually be saved for use in FSX and the PMDG 737 NGX! The plan will ALWAYS be called proatcx-clr.pln for FSX and PROATCX-CLR.rte for the PMDG 737 NGX. You can let the plan load automatically in FSX (see ProATC/X > Options) or load it manually at this point and you can load the plan in the PMDG 737 NGX using the CO ROUTE option in the FMC (enter PROATCX-CLR and not the two ICAO codes!) The saved .pln and .rte files will be deleted automatically after ending the flight. Again, these files won't be generated until you ask for clearance!

BTW When a approach has been assigned later on, you will also be able to load an updated plan for the PMDG 737 NGX called PROATCX-APP: of course you can also manually select the assigned approach in the FMC.

That's about it for now. ^_^ I am going to make some coffee and then setup my second flight with ProATC/X! B)

An awesome tutorial Jeroen. Couldn't have organized it better. The features forum has a lot of good info in it too as you learn how to use this program.

Hi Jim.

Do you purchase the Ultimate RealATC collection and the edit for ProATC/X, or just the Edit?

Thanks,

I got his Ultimate collection but now see he has a special edition just for ProATC-X so I would get the edit. ProATC comes with background ATC for Europe so all you would need is the USA background ATC. Glad to see the developer of RealATC set up a special program for ProATC.

Best regards,

Jim