Sign in to follow this  
Taipan

Directx 10

Hi All

Does Prepar3d work with directx 10 and the dx10 fixes as shown on the AVSIM forum?

Anyone here using it like that?

I'm currently running FSX in DX10 and fairly happy with it, but if I can get better performance out of P3D then I'm considering it.

Dont think it runs in dx10 from what I have read.

Rich Sennett

ok thanks.. I guess it would be too good to be true.

Anyone know a best guess on version 2 release?

I've been using P3D for several months exclusively, now. LM removed DX10 preview completely (for a good reason), no way. After careful tweaking and learning from others I get quite a bit of a performance boost compared to former FSX, with respect to pure fps as well as - even more - smoothness (i.e. lower variance). However, as I have given up FSX some time ago, I can hardly tell which percentage of the performance is P3D specific and which is due to recent tweaks.

To give you a number I get between 20 and 30 fps (30 locked internally) in the recently released FSDT CYVR, plus Vancouver 3+, plus ORBX PNW, which is quite heavy scenery altogether (but which, on the other hand, looks nothing but stunning). This is with nearly all sliders maxed (including Autogen + Buildings) and texture size set to 2046, fair weather (REX clouds), however water taken back to the second notch and bathymetry off, of course. 16xCSAA, 4xSGSS, 16x AF (Google for explanation) set in Nvidia Inspector. Quite a nice boost was setting VSync = 1/2 refresh rate. No BP=0 in the config, btw. For a good guide see Word Not Allowed's World:

Addons include Traffic 360 with modest ai settings (11 %), but myself only in a small C172 (I am too dumb to fly a 737.). This is on an i7-2600, 3,40 GHz, 16 MB RAM, Nvidia GTX 560 Ti under Win 7/64. I am quite content.

Version 2 of P3D is said to be expected in the beginning of 2014 and should support DX11, but I would not rely on this date. Most certainly, it will still be 32 bit, btw.

Regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Most certainly, it will still be 32 bit, btw.

That's interesting. Has Lockheed Martin said this?

You may get a better impression on the status of 64 bit support from this thread including a contribution from a P3D developer:

http://www.prepar3d....iewtopic&t=1862

Regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks for the link.

The last statement from a Prepar3d Software Developer I can see read "We would love to have true 64bit support, but this isn't a feature we can rush." That was dated 31 January 2011. No progress in the meantime?

Supposedly, you are right. I don't recall any more recent information (which does not exclude it does exist, of course). In general, P3D staff is well prepared to discuss with customers but development itself is kept behind the scenes between releases. I'd not exlude they will open a 64 bit branch with 2.0, but I am sceptic as some other features like DX11 support and a reworked ATC window were mentioned for 2.0.

The recent release of FSDT CYVR shows once more the urgent need of more available memory.

Regards, Michael

The release of major new version after 2 years would seem an ideal opportunity to upgrade to 64-bit. If not then, when?

DX11 is planned for release 2.0

Whether this will have an effect on add-on sceneries is going to be interesting,as some of these are not working

correctly with FSX and DX10 enabled at night.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Bradley,

one possible solution I've heard mentioned (just google for it) was kind of a compatibility mode for legacy addons. Not the worst solution, but of course no one will confirm this to happen today. I recall FS5 had such a mode for obsolete (untextured) FS4 add-ons. I used it very rarely, as even the new FS5 default scenery was much better.

Kind Regards, Michael