Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have been a FSX flight simmer for a number of years and have had great pleasure in using it.

I recently upgraded to a new high end gamming computer and saw some AMAZING scenery screen shots and video about X-Plane so I decided to switch.

After spending a good coin and getting is all setup, I find that the scenery is total crap!!!

Airport buildings are missing, total cities are missing! Sooooo.......where do all of these lovely pics and video's come from????

I just don't get it. I have all settings on extreme at all times!

Any suggestions?

new user and he starts by bashing xp10 :lol: something fishy going on in here :Thinking: FSX forum is two threads up and then make a left turn at the corner of FS9 and Flight avenue :P

I have been a FSX flight simmer for a number of years and have had great pleasure in using it.

I recently upgraded to a new high end gamming computer and saw some AMAZING scenery screen shots and video about X-Plane so I decided to switch.

After spending a good coin and getting is all setup, I find that the scenery is total crap!!!

Airport buildings are missing, total cities are missing! Sooooo.......where do all of these lovely pics and video's come from????

Any suggestions?

OMG XP10 is soooo crappy looking :lol:

Any suggestions?

a refund and an Optometrist :lol: Just%20Kidding.gif

Ok, so this video is NOT going to come from my X-Plane 10!! I'm not bashing it. I need help to get it set up properly I guess.

I'm guessing this video was not made by the X-plane 10 out of the box!!

Any suggestions?

Hi floydh and welcome to the X-Plane forum! :)

First of all, can you link the videos you're talking about? As suggested, they could probably be loaded with add-ons.

Regarding your questions:

1) X-Plane does not have generic airport buildings. This means that almost all airports will be without buildings. I say almost because if you have the Aerosoft version of X-Plane 10, you will have scenery for some european airports (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

2) Regarding cities, the autogen and urban textures of X-Plane are still being actively developed and improved. X-Plane is continually updated, the latest version is 10.20 beta. Make sure that you updated your X-Plane to the latest version. To install and update X-Plane, DO NOT USE THE INSTALLER FOUND ON THE DVD, use instead the installer/updater found here: http://www.x-plane.c...taller-updater/

3) Can you provide us with a screenshot of your rendering settings?

Marco

Thanks Marco for being kind. After reading the first reply to my post I was considering getting as far away from this X-Plane clan as possible. All my settings are on the highest settings.

Hey Marco;

How do I get my screen shot and pics on here for you to see?

Thanks Marco for being kind. After reading the first reply to my post I was considering getting as far away from this X-Plane clan as possible. All my settings are on the highest settings.

Hey Marco;

Welcome to the XP Forums, Floyd! Don't take Isis too serious... It just happens you show up in what has been a pretty heated forum in the past week, so tensions are running high! hahaha

Ok, let's see if we can help... It would help if you would go to your profile and fill out the section for your system specs. This way we can see what system you have. Also, show us a screenshot of your settings page within XP.

Once you do that, we can start trying to figure out what is wrong with your install..

Hey Marco;

After going to the rendering settings screen and taking a screenshot (SHIFT + SPACE), post a message here (click on "More reply options"), you'll see an "Attach Files" box, click "Browse...", choose the screenshot you made (you find it in the main X-Plane folder), then "Attach this file", wait a second for it to upload, a thumbnail of it will appear, then click "Add to post".

However, it's highly advisable that you first convert the original screenshot from .png format to .jpg format, to decrease the file size.

Maybe I'm going yo bed, but you'll find other helpful people here :)

EDIT: Also, try uploading some screenshots of the scenery so we can see what you don't like. :-)

Marco

Hey BimmerCop;

I have updated my computer info.

Opps, there's the Rendering Options. Meant to send it to Marco.

Hey BimmerCop;

I have updated my computer info.

Ok, Floyd... I see now... Well, for starters, I don't have much experience with ATI cards, so I can't comment on how well they perform with XP. I know LR highly recommends nVidia cards for XP but like i said, I personally don't know much about them.

Overall, you have a very capable system for XP, no doubt. Realistically, running ALL SLIDERS to extreme is really pushing it. We need to see your rendering settings. Follow the guide MurMur posted above, so you can post that screenshot.

But let me ask you this... Why exactly do you mean by looks like crap? Is it image quality such as blurriness, shimmering, etc, or is it just lack of buildings and objects?

Opps, there's the Rendering Options. Meant to send it to Marco.

Uhmmm... Ok so everything's on max... As I said, some urban areas are better than others in X-Plane since that aspect is still being developed. Have you updated to the latest version (10.20 beta)? Send us a screenshot so we can see what you don't like in the scenery?

I wished my FSX looked like the videos of FSX I see on youtube... :-)

Its perfectly smooth. Runs great but the houses, the trees, streets and the like are very cartoon'ish! Ok. Thanks for your help. I'll check out some "stuff" and check back here tomorrow.

Well, I'm with you on this. Coming from a good pimped FSX, X-Plane looks awful after the first start. But if we would reinstall FSX without all the add ons, how would it look?

The biggest mistake people make (I too) is to compare both sims. I like to give XP a fair chance, so I will stay away from the corner of the world that I like most in FSX, North America, with UTX landclass, GEX textures and even ORBX/Tongass Fjords X scenery. I don't want to compare, so I will make XP my "Europe sim".

My plan is to install photo scenery, OSM buildings and airport scenery. I'm sure it will look good.

You have good hardware so you should be able to enjoy it, once you added some stuff to it.

Don't give up because some X People will tell you "You want landmarks and seasons? Then XP is not for you..." Some even turn bugs into features.

Don't compare, don't praise FSX, don't praise XP and it should work. That's the way I want to do it.

I can see from Isis' posted video why some people might find the buildings cartoonish. Personally, this doesn't bother me. It's mostly a matter of the developers getting the textures right. It's a matter of style, and I find the XP "style" to be better than that of Microsoft Flight for the scenery. A lot of people complain that FSX scenery is cartoonish... I don't agree.

It looks like out-of-the-box, XPlane is going to be limited. This is to be expected from such a small team. Outside developers will fill in the gaps, but I suspect it will take a considerable investment to get to the superior level shown in the videos.

I saw a lot of things in that video that I really liked.

Comparisons with FSX are going to be inevitable, since most people will be coming from there. I think most people have the good sense to compare stock FSX to stock XP, and the best add-ons for FSX to the best add-ons for XP. I fly totally stock FSX scenery, so any of the add-on videos are going to look good to me. But then, stock FSX looks pretty good with the scenery sliders set high: mostly 30 fps and no stutters, but some graphics glitches with density set to max, likely due to bandwidth limitations on the graphics card.

With any new flight sim, you need to give it some time. I didn't realize at first how much improvement Microsoft Flight had made, and it was only after a bunch of hours flying and going back to FSX for comparison that I noticed how much better Flight was. But I never did get to liking Flights's autogen as much as FSX's. I'm currently flying FSX, not Flight, because no matter how much it was improved, I couldn't deal with Flight's limitations. This doesn't make Flight bad in any way, it's just a personal preference.

There's a lot of potential in XPlane, and it will be very interesting to see how things develop over time.

Hook

Yeah, that video might turn some people off based on some of the visuals without some knowledge of what's going on there. OSM2XP is great for bringing in real world buildings, or at least 3D objects that are the same shape as the footprint of the real world building as defined in Open Streetmap, but the models themselves are pretty plain. I haven't the foggiest idea how that's done, so I'm loathe to criticize it considering what it adds to X-Plane. Paired up with good orthophotos, the results range from "hey, that's kinda cool" to "WHOA!"

For someone who doesn't know about OSM, I can see how the video above may not be that impressive.

Yeah, that video might turn some people off based on some of the visuals

I'm not turned off at all. Besides, the only thing it needs is some custom textures for those buildings, and someone will eventually provide those. The buildings look good enough to me.

Hook

Yeah, that video might turn some people off based on some of the visuals without some knowledge of what's going on there. OSM2XP is great for bringing in real world buildings, or at least 3D objects that are the same shape as the footprint of the real world building as defined in Open Streetmap, but the models themselves are pretty plain. I haven't the foggiest idea how that's done, so I'm loathe to criticize it considering what it adds to X-Plane. Paired up with good orthophotos, the results range from "hey, that's kinda cool" to "WHOA!"

For someone who doesn't know about OSM, I can see how the video above may not be that impressive.

Speaking of OSM2XP, I went to their site and there is a link called Global Scenery where they have all US States covered. Do I just install those files or do I still need to manually access the map and download the area I want?

As for Orthophotos, have you tried G2XPL? It works GREAT!!! Only issue I have with it is that it will pause your flight while it loads new scenery. You can uncheck the pause XP option but it still interferes with XP by switching you out into the DOS window it uses when generating textures. Unlike TileProxy for FSX where it downloads and updates textures seamlessly and on the fly.

No, no, don't misunderstand, Hook. I'm talking about the average person who isn't keeping up with all the more indepth stuff with X-Plane, such as OSM2XP, and who come into the forum with their FSX yardstick held firmly in hand.

Efrain- For OSM2XP, what I do is first go to Openstreetmap and see if the area I want to bring into X-Plane has any building data. Once I find that, I then go to http://download.geofabrik.de/openstreetmap/ and navigate to the state or country I want to convert, then download the corresponding .pbf file. and convert it. Conversion can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours, depending on how much data is available, and the size of the .pbf file.

I'm pretty sure there are ways to define your own area within OSM to download as a .pbf, but I've never tried it.

As for G2XPL, oh yeah! Love it! The only issue with it lies not with the program itself, but the data available. Shade, hue, saturation, and contrast differences between adjacent sections of the terrain can kill the effect, unfortunately. :(

No, no, don't misunderstand, Hook. I'm talking about the average person who isn't keeping up with all the more indepth stuff with X-Plane, such as OSM2XP, and who come into the forum with their FSX yardstick held firmly in hand.

Efrain- For OSM2XP, what I do is first go to Openstreetmap and see if the area I want to bring into X-Plane has any building data. Once I find that, I then go to http://download.geof.../openstreetmap/ and navigate to the state or country I want to convert, then download the corresponding .pbf file. and convert it. Conversion can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours, depending on how much data is available, and the size of the .pbf file.

I'm pretty sure there are ways to define your own area within OSM to download as a .pbf, but I've never tried it.

As for G2XPL, oh yeah! Love it! The only issue with it lies not with the program itself, but the data available. Shade, hue, saturation, and contrast differences between adjacent sections of the terrain can kill the effect, unfortunately. :(

Jon, so what are those files in the Global Scenery section for?

And yes, I agree on the map thing but the immersion factor of flying above orthos is excellent. If I can just get it to update seamlessly...

I'm talking about the average person who isn't keeping up with all the more indepth stuff with X-Plane, such as OSM2XP,

I *am* that average person, Jon. This is the first I've heard of OSM2XP.

The above descriptions aren't that helpful. How about a brief intro into what it brings to XP and how a new user might benefit? Something short and simple, enough to get me started before I try researching it online.

Hook

Jon, so what are those files in the Global Scenery section for?

And yes, I agree on the map thing but the immersion factor of flying above orthos is excellent. If I can just get it to update seamlessly...

Those look like older .pbf's Bennie downloaded a couple of years ago. The files on the Geofabrik site are updated daily.

Those look like older .pbf's Bennie downloaded a couple of years ago. The files on the Geofabrik site are updated daily.

That'll work! hahah Thanks, will try your link out... Do everything that OSM2XP generate appear over G2XPL generated orthos?

I *am* that average person, Jon. This is the first I've heard of OSM2XP.

The above descriptions aren't that helpful. How about a brief intro into what it brings to XP and how a new user might benefit? Something short and simple, enough to get me started before I try researching it online.

Hook

Sure, I'd be happy to, any if anyone else feels I might be misrepresenting things, I invite you to correct me. I don't know a lot of the deep, "under the hood" details, but I'm glad to share what I know.

X-Plane 10 uses the Open Streetmap database format for its roads, railways, and powerlines, and probably other things that I'm not 100% sure of. What ships right now in the program is the state of the world (minus buildings) in OSM a couple of years ago. The program, OSM2XP, allows one to download parts of the Open Streetmap database and import it into X-Plane. Right now, I think it only handles forests and buildings. Being an open source format, Open Streetmap allows users to define buildings by 2D shape of their footprints, along with a height definition, which OSM2XP translates into 3D objects using "facades", which if I'm guessing correctly, is an X-Plane specific term for generic 3D building structure. These facades are textured with a very basic building texture that has the unfortunate washed out look you see in the video. Simmo, of Xsimreviews has made a reworked set of .lit textures for the night lighting of these buildings, which looks really good.

Anyway, the end result of importing these buildings is that you're getting actual real world buildings, or at least reasonable facsimilies thereof, placed in their actual locations in X-Plane. With this, you can understand how they work wonderfully with orthophotos.

The downside is since OSM relies on crowdsourced additions to the map, there aren't a lot of places that have very many buildings defined. Of note is a lot of Europe, including just about the whole of France. In the US, Boston, many parts of D.C. and a lot of Chicago have good coverage. One person over at the .org has taken upon himself to do as much as Peoria, IL. as he could, and the last time I updated Illinois, it was looking pretty good. Worldwide, however, coverage is spotty at best. That's why I suggested to Efrain to check the main map and see if the areas he's interested in has any building coverage worth looking at.

This is a very rough explanation, but I hope it answers your questions. If something seems unclear, please feel free to ask and I'll either try to get my thoughts together more coherantly, or someone else who knows better than I can help fill in the blanks. :)

EDIT---

Efrain- Yep. Terrain textures and objects exist seperately from eachother. OSM objects and orthophotos just so happen to play nice with eachother for obvious reasons. :)

Sure, I'd be happy to, any if anyone else feels I might be misrepresenting things, I invite you to correct me. I don't know a lot of the deep, "under the hood" details, but I'm glad to share what I know.

X-Plane 10 uses the Open Streetmap database format for its roads, railways, and powerlines, and probably other things that I'm not 100% sure of. What ships right now in the program is the state of the world (minus buildings) in OSM a couple of years ago. The program, OSM2XP, allows one to download parts of the Open Streetmap database and import it into X-Plane. Right now, I think it only handles forests and buildings. Being an open source format, Open Streetmap allows users to define buildings by 2D shape of their footprints, along with a height definition, which OSM2XP translates into 3D objects using "facades", which if I'm guessing correctly, is an X-Plane specific term for generic 3D building structure. These facades are textured with a very basic building texture that has the unfortunate washed out look you see in the video. Simmo, of Xsimreviews has made a reworked set of .lit textures for the night lighting of these buildings, which looks really good.

Anyway, the end result of importing these buildings is that you're getting actual real world buildings, or at least reasonable facsimilies thereof, placed in their actual locations in X-Plane. With this, you can understand how they work wonderfully with orthophotos.

The downside is since OSM relies on crowdsourced additions to the map, there aren't a lot of places that have very many buildings defined. Of note is a lot of Europe, including just about the whole of France. In the US, Boston, many parts of D.C. and a lot of Chicago have good coverage. One person over at the .org has taken upon himself to do as much as Peoria, IL. as he could, and the last time I updated Illinois, it was looking pretty good. Worldwide, however, coverage is spotty at best. That's why I suggested to Efrain to check the main map and see if the areas he's interested in has any building coverage worth looking at.

This is a very rough explanation, but I hope it answers your questions. If something seems unclear, please feel free to ask and I'll either try to get my thoughts together more coherantly, or someone else who knows better than I can help fill in the blanks. :)

EDIT---

Efrain- Yep. Terrain textures and objects exist seperately from eachother. OSM objects and orthophotos just so happen to play nice with eachother for obvious reasons. :)

Great explanation, Jon. And this is one of the main reasons I even considered XP in the first place, the ability to have autogen and orthophoto terrain play nice with each other. I was flying lately in FSX exclusively with TP but the flattened look was starting to get old on me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2