Sign in to follow this  
stfitts

New i7 2600k machine, need recommendation for card.

Hey guys,

I've been out of flight sim for 4 years and finally building a new machine. Going with the i7 2600k and hoping to OC. I'm needing a recommendation for a video card to run on a single monitor setup with track ir. Any tips and recommendations would be greats.

Thanks!

Any single core GPU will do nowadays. Just try to get the highest CPU and GPU clock frequency you can.

Brand should not really matter although you will get only nVidia recommendations here... (--> discussions incoming)

I think many simmers have Nvidia. I have GTX580 and it works perfectly. FSX uses up to 75% of your frame rate is produced from the CPU. And the GPU uses only up to 25% of your total frame rate is generated from your graphics engine.

This Avsim topic may be of interest to you.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/398089-no-performance-increase-from-560ti-to-680-ftw-4-gb/

You can read my system specs via the sidebar. I read through a lot of opinions back in December before I upgraded my video card from the OEM version Radeon 6750 1 GB that came in it. Before my upgrade I was having stuttering issues primarily in an near clouds (REX) when flying primarily Carenado models using exclusively virtual cockpits. I looked at price differential versus reported performance. It appeared to me that there were many happy users with EVGA brand nVidia 560TI cards with 2 GB. I found one for just under $200 and have been very happy with it.

I have my FPS locked at 30 and get right at that in most conditions. My frame rate drops to around 20 in some of the photo real add on city sceneries with very high density such as Aerosoft's New York City and Aerosoft's Chicago, but with Aerosoft's Indianapolis and New Orleans (recently added in advance of the Super Bowl) I see little if any frame rate drop from the locked 30. The only add on airport where my frame rate drops is KJFK and that is likely due to the fact that it borders the Aerosoft NYC mentioned above. I have high detailed add-on airports at places like Dallas, Washington Dulles, and LAX where I do not have adjacent photo real city scenery and I see no frame rate drop into those airports.

I am very happy with the 560TI 2 GB, especially for the price.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'm looking at the GTX680. I hear there is bit of improvement from the 580 to 680, correct?

Did you read the Avsim topic I referenced above? $500+ vs $200 for what? The incremental difference is almost indistinguishable for FSX. I'm locked in at 30 FPS and seeing that 95%+ of time flying. I'm never below 20 FPS. You can unlock it and get higher FPS. I can too with the 560TI (2 gb). But neither of us can distinguish those extra FPS. Both of us however can distinguish the extra $300. Think about it!

I'll see your $300! And take it!

Spend the $300 on other FS stuff.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Extremely valid point. My concern is with weather and things like that. Is the sim smoothish at 20fps? I can't stand lag and shudder on final and things like that. Mind you I don't run AI (fly online) and auto gen isn't hugely important to me.

Can I provide you with my Paypal pay-to information where you can send $300? I flew into KJFK this past week in a Carenado C90 with VC and my frame rate fell to about 20 FPS. No stutters, and the only way I knew that the frame rate fell to 22 FPS was because i had keyed Shift-Z twice. Otherwise I would not have known. And I reiterate, that approach into KJFK with my adjacent Aerosoft NYC photo-real scenery is the most taxing situation I could experience with my current installations. So if that's an extremely failed point then you are too rich and our current President and his minions will enjoy digging into your hip pocket! Pray tell you don't live in Maryland where Gov. O'Malley will do more of the same!

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I had to edit the post, it auto corrected to fail. I see what your saying. I'm taking a look now. I wasn't trying to be rude at all. :) I'm shopping newegg as I type.

Going with a cheaper card for flight sim is fine, but is that the only game or sim you use? I would bet any new software being released will make good use of the GPU. I would always go for a high end card, usually just below the top where the first price jump is IMO

Steve is absolutely right.

Shawn: if you're going with the 2600K - add a couple of dollars and get the 2700K. It clocks a little better - easily 4.9 gig with modest cooling - any of the upper-end of the Corsair line will do the job very well.

For a gpu - get either the GTX580, which is still a top-notch card - or get any one of the newer GTX series in the Nvidia lineup here. To give you an idea of price spread - the 660, 660Ti are good - the 670, better and the 680 top (value for $$). The 690 is the tops, but huge dollars.

The 2700K at 4.9 or 5.0 GHz coupled with a 6xx series card will give you a super-duper solid 30fps experience, and being very capable of giving great graphics with high IQ settings. My money will be on the 680, as soon as I can sell my 580! (all offers considered... B) )

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.