My friend recently installed a Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on my laptop. It worked with my FSX great until yesterday. I started FSX as usual and even before it reaches the splash screen, the game crashes. It states that, "Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation." So I reinstalled my FSX (FSX + Acceleration) and it started up fine. But when I shut down the game and turned it on again, the same error happened again!!! :blink: :angry: I repeatedly reinstalled FSX, but the same thing happens again and again. I've reinstalled it with all of my mods that worked before, so I don't see why it crashes. Any help would be appriciated. :Praying:

Specs: Dell Latitude D630, Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, Nvidea NVS Quadro 135M

Are you logged in with Admin privileges? Is UAC turned off? Do you have it installed into a directory with a name that does NOT begin with "Program Files"?

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I have admin privileges, and I have it installed to C;\Microsoft Games\FSX

I'm not sure if I have turned off UAC. I'll check and turn it off if it isn't. Although I can't see any reason as to how it would lead to FSX unable to read files.

I have admin privileges, and I have it installed to C;\Microsoft Games\FSX

I'm not sure if I have turned off UAC. I'll check and turn it off if it isn't. Although I can't see any reason as to how it would lead to FSX unable to read files.

Yeah, so I'll try and reinstall FSX with the UAC disabled. I'll report back the results.

(The installation process is always successful; it's just starting up the game after I shut it down is the problem.)

Well, it looks like my problem was the UAC. I disabled it, installed FSX, and boom. I shut down and restarted FSX a dozen times now and no error messages in sight. I'll try installing the Acceleration Pack later. Thanks for everyone who helped!!!

Glad you got it sorted. FWIW, UAC doesn't get in the way of FSX reading files, it gets in the way of it writing files, and FSX does write out a bunch of config files and stuff as part of its closeout housekeeping at exit.

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Glad you got it sorted. FWIW, UAC doesn't get in the way of FSX reading files, it gets in the way of it writing files, and FSX does write out a bunch of config files and stuff as part of its closeout housekeeping at exit.

So you're saying if FSX can't write files at shutdown, it can't start up again?

God, I want to pull my hair out. IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!

I shut down my computer for the night and when I turn it back on the next afternoon, the same error message appeared. I've looked up on google and maybe a System Restore might work?

God, I want to pull my hair out. IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!

I shut down my computer for the night and when I turn it back on the next afternoon, the same error message appeared. I've looked up on google and maybe a System Restore might work?

A couple thoughts:

Have you tried moving or renaming your fsx.cfg file (FSX will build a new one for you next time it loads) to see if it happens with a stock config?

Are you using a third-party disk cache or have write caching with "advanced performance" enabled in the disk manager for the Windows and/or FS drives? I'm wondering if you're depowering the drives before the cache is completely flushed, corrupting files. A full 10-pass run of MEMTEST 86+ and running CHKDSK on the OS and FS drives wouldn't be a bad idea, either--other possibilities are a bad memory stick or a failing drive/disc controller problem.

A couple thoughts:

Have you tried moving or renaming your fsx.cfg file (FSX will build a new one for you next time it loads) to see if it happens with a stock config?

Are you using a third-party disk cache or have write caching with "advanced performance" enabled in the disk manager for the Windows and/or FS drives? I'm wondering if you're depowering the drives before the cache is completely flushed, corrupting files. A full 10-pass run of MEMTEST 86+ and running CHKDSK on the OS and FS drives wouldn't be a bad idea, either--other possibilities are a bad memory stick or a failing drive/disc controller problem.

I don't use any thrid-party disk caching and I ran a CHKDSK and nothing came up.

I just don't get it. FSX installs fine and it runs fine the first time, but it doesn't start after I shut down.

I use the normal shutdown procedure (Start, Shut Down button) to power down my laptop, but does that depower the drive before being flushed completely?

Anyway, I'm going to reinstall FSX (for the 5th time) and try and let FSX write a new fsx.cfg file.

I don't use any thrid-party disk caching and I ran a CHKDSK and nothing came up.

I just don't get it. FSX installs fine and it runs fine the first time, but it doesn't start after I shut down.

I use the normal shutdown procedure (Start, Shut Down button) to power down my laptop, but does that depower the drive before being flushed completely?

Anyway, I'm going to reinstall FSX (for the 5th time) and try and let FSX write a new fsx.cfg file.

Yea strange one you have here, but since you done it 5 times already cant see if its going to fix it. Than again you never know hope it does work out for you. If it fails again might be best to do a re install of your windows system and try from there.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Well, I tried to install FSX, and now this error came up:

"Error 1722: There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or product vendor."

It happened when the installer got to the end of the setup.

Now I can't even install the game!!!

Well, I tried to install FSX, and now this error came up:

"Error 1722: There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or product vendor."

It happened when the installer got to the end of the setup.

Now I can't even install the game!!!

Never mind, I fixed this problem. I only had to run as administrator,

So I'll just need to rename the fsx.cfg.

Ok, FSX runs fine, even after I shut down the laptop for over 8 hours, but when I rename the fsx.cfg, the same error message I got in the first place appeared again. I deleted the .cfg and still the same outcome. It looks like FSX isn't writing a new fsx.cfg file.

Ok, FSX runs fine, even after I shut down the laptop for over 8 hours, but when I rename the fsx.cfg, the same error message I got in the first place appeared again. I deleted the .cfg and still the same outcome. It looks like FSX isn't writing a new fsx.cfg file.

Try running FSX as an administrator...in fact, set up a shortcut on the desktop tht always runs it as admin. What's the full path you have FSX installed in?