Sign in to follow this  
shaun_ak

Megascenery Earth v2 cost

feasibly, we could have the rest of the USA done well within 2013 if we can progress at the same current rate of releases. I'm not going to put an exact or even approximate date on any of these as there are too many variables in the mix which would affect the outcome on a planned date, but as you can see, we are progressing with releases at a very fast rate at the moment!

What about areas outside USA ? If they come in which order and what parts of the world will come ?

Well I'm not the developer but unless I'm totally wrong I think all these products are based on some free US gov photoreal data available only for the US.

Outside US quality of free image data varies a lot, some areas have pretty good data with few problems and little varying in image quality, then others have very poor coverage. Then of course there are commercial products that cover also these areas but they seem to be way too expensive to be used to cover entire countries, at least I haven't been able to find any reasonably priced data.

So I think it would be much more difficult to find proper and cheap enough data for many areas outside US.

What about areas outside USA ? If they come in which order and what parts of the world will come ?

This all depends on what decent source data is available for those areas. No plans as yet for outside USA as we want to complete thye USA project first before moving on.

You can use any texture resolution you want on buildings and other objects, I've made several myself that work out to around .75cm/px, that's not connected in any way to resampled photoreal though.

I believe the max resolution for photoreal in FSX is 7cm, so 50cm is nowhere near what FSX is actually capable of. FS9ers would kill for 1m photoreal in the sim, but that would be pretty poor for FSX really - default landclass textures are better than that.

Jim

Jim, Yes sounds right. Brain fade on my part. I must have been thinking FS9 specs sorry :) Of course, the FSX texture setting can be set down to 7cm, yes!

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

Outside US quality of free image data varies a lot, some areas have pretty good data with few problems and little varying in image quality, then others have very poor coverage.

Agree, but there is also the question of being able (legally allowed) to take those "free" images and package them for resale under an FSX add-on.

For example, I could run an application what would mine Google servers and selectively move across the US extracting Google maps data. If I then used that data to make FSX scenery and then tried to sell that work as FSX scenery add-on, that would NOT be legal. If Google found out, they could come after me. So whatever data source is used, the key is to make sure you have the legal rights to use it.

To get 7cm textures in scenery, it would have to Aerial and most likely some really expensive image stabilization ... (at least for the US anyway). Not that Sat imagery doesn't exist for 7cm - I'm sure it does on the military front ... and if you can get it, please let me know how? ;)

Agree, but there is also the question of being able (legally allowed) to take those "free" images and package them for resale under an FSX add-on.

For example, I could run an application what would mine Google servers and selectively move across the US extracting Google maps data. If I then used that data to make FSX scenery and then tried to sell that work as FSX scenery add-on, that would NOT be legal. If Google found out, they could come after me. So whatever data source is used, the key is to make sure you have the legal rights to use it.

To get 7cm textures in scenery, it would have to Aerial and most likely some really expensive image stabilization ... (at least for the US anyway). Not that Sat imagery doesn't exist for 7cm - I'm sure it does on the military front ... and if you can get it, please let me know how? ;)

Yes, acquisition of decent imagery at a price that makes it possible to produce add-ons and charge a fair price to the end consumer for it, along with gaining the legal right to use it is the biggest hurdle at the moment.

We have just found a possible source for quality imagery for an area outside of the USA which, if all goes ahead without hiccups, means we may have the next area for MSE 2.0 lined up after the USA is complete. I can't say any more on that at this stage as nothing is final, and we are still investigating the quality fo that data, and obviously trying to arrange the legal rights to use it for the project.

Dean

Hey, for the Texas download could a map be provided which Ariel tiles are what region of Texas. This state so big be nice to know because it would take 60 hours to download the whole state with my internet provider. Rather download sections of Texas at a time. Pay for all of Texas at once, but rather download East Texas in Dallas Monday, then South Texas in Houston Tuesday, than central Texas in Abilene Wednesday, North Texas in Lubbock, and West Texas in El Paso.

Hey, for the Texas download could a map be provided which Ariel tiles are what region of Texas. This state so big be nice to know because it would take 60 hours to download the whole state with my internet provider. Rather download sections of Texas at a time. Pay for all of Texas at once, but rather download East Texas in Dallas Monday, then South Texas in Houston Tuesday, than central Texas in Abilene Wednesday, North Texas in Lubbock, and West Texas in El Paso.

I'll pass this onto the developer and check if this is possible to do. I am not sure how they map out the areas when the data gets processed. It may be sequentially done in a logical order, which would make your request possible, but if it has some randomness to the process, it could be very difficult to determine what files cover particular areas etc. Nonetheless, I will ask and find out. Send me a PM in a few days to check up on this. Thanks.

Dean

I got the Mass state from MegaScenery

I must be doing something wrong? If not I regret buying it

ADDENDUM

I did not get all the files #5 was not finished we had a power interruption yesterday

So I will try again'

Thinking of getting Massachusetts how is it ? screenshots were not that impressive.

It looks great, just like all of the v.2 scenery. I haven't seen a bad one yet. Only problem that I ever see is a slight coloration difference from one state to the next on some cases, but for me, that's not much of a problem.

Well I'm not the developer but unless I'm totally wrong I think all these products are based on some free US gov photoreal data available only for the US.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that MSEv.2 is taken from free resources like Google Earth.

Hoping Kansas comes soon. Got to practice my landings into Wichita.... :p0503:

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Peppy I was thinking of buying mass but not after that sceenshot

Rich Sennett

I got the Mass state from MegaScenery and it is just terrible

All bluured stuff, especially the roads, and the same color mostly

See pic of an appr on R15

You're doing something dreadfully wrong. This looks horrible. Check on the instruction links that come below your downloads. You can see by the screenshots at the MSEv.2 website that they look way better than what you have here.

The actual product will look exactly like the screenshots on their website, if your settings are correct.

Actually, I'm so addicted to this scenery that I haven't flown anywhere else except states that I have it since it came out.

In fact, I have a new Orbx airport that I haven't even tried out yet. I need to get over there.

Well, if you can't make your settings any better than his, you better stay away from MSEv.2.

I did not download one of the items, a small one

I installed it and am still getting the messy textures

SO

I will try uninstalling -reinstalling checking sizes

The picture looks horrible and, if you look on the MegaSceneryEarth site for Mass, you'll see higher quality images. Even the aircraft you are flying looks like you do not have your display driver and/or FSX settings set properly. You need to turn on AF and AA in FSX. It doesn't look like you're up very high either. The spot views are much better at 2000 to 3000 feet.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

wait a minute cause it was brought to my attention that I must have erred

and yeah, file 5 was not installed yet

will get back about this

I installed it and am still getting the messy textures

The setups all installed stuff into only one folder, the scenery folder in Megascenery subfolder Mass

Then I saw that it activated that folder in my library as it was

Is that correct?