Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

The PMDG of GA world?

Realair Lancair

Realair Dukes (both original and Royal Turbine Conversion)

DA-20 Katana 4X (by Marcel Felde)

A2A Piper Cub with Accusim

Baytower Vans RV7/A

Hours of GA fun...

Mix in a bit of A2A Spitfire/Mustang/Warhawk/Thunderbolt with Accusim to get the heart rate up... all a nice break from commercial aviation simulation in your NGX...

A

In climb they're half open and cruise shut for me.

Thanks Ryan

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

I took the Duke up for the first time today. Excellent aircraft. I have been flying commercial aircraft for a few years in fsx and trying to learn how to work the Duke was very hard. The pilot flying guide that comes with it is not very in depth. Realair only has that, a two page autopilot guide and a checklist pdf. The pilot guide keeps referencing a pilot operations manual but it did not come with the download

Hi Eric,

The flying guide mentions the fact that acquiring the POH for the Turbine Duke would involve you actually buying the conversion itself and we can't quite afford that. At least one of the two Avsim reviewers have flown the Turbine version and tried to obtain a copy but could not.

In the absence of a POH which would cost us a few hundred thousand dollars we opted to pass and instead wrote really quite detailed descriptions of general and engine handling. For more info there are large numbers of websites that publish many articles and guides about general turboprop handling but we feel if you read the flying guide thoroughly you have everything you need for safe and pleasurable flying.

We do not include tables because these are copyright and again would cost a great deal to obtain. Most detailed tables in POHs are not that necessary, because once you know the limits of torque, fuel flow, rpm and power available it is pretty much common sense managing the engines and keeping within limits.

The Guide is 62 pages long and we feel does the job well, and the reviews confirm that.

Kind Regards,

Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Hi Eric,

The flying guide mentions the fact that acquiring the POH for the Turbine Duke would involve you actually buying the conversion itself and we can't quite afford that. At least one of the two Avsim reviewers have flown the Turbine version and tried to obtain a copy but could not.

In the absence of a POH which would cost us a few hundred thousand dollars we opted to pass and instead wrote really quite detailed descriptions of general and engine handling. For more info there are large numbers of websites that publish many articles and guides about general turboprop handling but we feel if you read the flying guide thoroughly you have everything you need for safe and pleasurable flying.

We do not include tables because these are copyright and again would cost a great deal to obtain. Most detailed tables in POHs are not that necessary, because once you know the limits of torque, fuel flow, rpm and power available it is pretty much common sense managing the engines and keeping within limits.

The Guide is 62 pages long and we feel does the job well, and the reviews confirm that.

Kind Regards,

Rob - RealAir

Thanks Rob. You guys sure put a great plane together.

As an aside for anyone in here, does anyone know of anyone who does repaints for the Duke? I just want to have the registration for one of the paints that come with the package (the one with the registration ending with JT) changed to N115EM.

Eric 

One question for you, do the cowls stay open, half or closed for takeoff and climb? If you say ti keep the cowls open during cruise I am assuming they need to be at least at half?

It probably depends on temperature, I'm surprised Ryan can fly with them fully shut in cruise, maybe on a short flight or maybe in quite cold weather.

But I did a flight in summer from New Zealand to Lord Howe Island, across the ocean this is a very long flight probably the furthest I can take it. However it was above FL200, so it should have still been cool enough up there.

I had them open only halfway in cruise.

Now nothing happened straight away, but about 3/4 of the way there the temperature finally increased to a level to cause a single engine failure, so it happens very slowly.

So my opinion would be fully open during climb when there's low airflow.

Then in cruise either half open, or fully open depending on temperature. I would only close them fully if doing cold very low speed cruise or in descent. Your oil temp in this turboprop is good down to 0c, unlike pistons where usually 40c is your minimum (in general, I don't own the regular duke so can't comment on that)

I have been in GA heaven for a few weeks now. I used to fly the PMDG NGX and 747 religiously, but now I fly the Carenado 208 Super Cargomaster. I downloaded the tweaked FDE in their downloads section, added the RXP WX500, GNS430, and Flightline gauges. And she's perfect! Yes a little slow, but flying around Orbx PNW or anywhere really is a treat. I usually plan trips with some nice tailwinds though because 150 knots in a strong headwind is not very fast.

A Turbo is not a Turbine. Big difference is the Conditioning Levers vs Mixture Levers in FSX. Many look the same but aren't. The Turbine specs are not available because the only manufacturer or two does not want you to have them or they actually do not exist. You are not required to have a full POH other than what the FAA approves for each modify plane. Almost all Turbo mods have full cruise tables and instructions on how to use the Mixture (usually full rich until level cruise at altitude).

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .