Sign in to follow this  
phjvh

Panels with Flight Level Change (FLCH) Functionality.

The panels with FLCH functionality that I'm aware of that work in FS9 are the PMDG B73NG, V-Max B742 (FLCH in it's initial embryonic stage); and the Airbus panels (I believe "managed thrust" is what it's called in Airbus panels).Are there any others? I know PIC B763 has this, but can't yet be used in 2004. This is not the more sophisticated V-NAV feature, just climb/TOGA constant thrust with forward speed managed by pitch attitude.Thanks,Bruce.

Bill Grabowski's ERJEspen's Fokker 50Sanchez-Castana's ATR (Not too sure whether it's been updated for FS9, but repaints for it keep popping up in the library for FS9)

FLCH isn't really VNAV per se, it's just pitch-for-speed where thrust is either set at the limit for a climb or retarded to idle for a descent. The AFDS then sets pitch to control airspeed to whatever's in the speed window...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi,Quite easy to add FLCH to any panel.Search for:rcbfl-10.zip (Rob Barendregt) on Flightsim.com.Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Hi Jan,This is really neat! Thanks, a real good download.Bruce.

Oops ...I suddenly remember why I didn't upload this file to the AVSIM library (it was at the time of the big library problem). I just attached it to a post here.But I'll upload it at AVSIM as well ...And Yes, it is "a real good download"... :-) :-) Cheers, Rob Barendregt

I'll second that! ...many many thanks for this most excellent gauge! :)regardsEdedetroit@projectopensky.com

From the readme of this gauge:"When using the default AP's in FS aircraft during flight level changes, yourun the risk that the AP cannot maintain the set airspeed because it tries tohold the climb/descend rate that you set into the V/S Hold dial/bug.So the aircraft could eventually Stall (with max. thrust) or go in Overspeed(with min. thrust) if you don't adjust the V/S rate manually.Moreover, using an optimal "climb thrust" is more fuel-economical thanmaintaining a specified "climb rate".When active, this gauge controls the climb/descent rate, whilst maintaining afixed thrust (= throttle position, as dialed into the gauge) and airspeed (IASor MACH, as dialed into the Autopilot).It uses an adaptive algoritme to find the optimal climb/descend rate, dependanton the actual difference between the set and measured airspeed.For climbing, the climb rate will be controlled between 0 and 4000 ft/min.For descending, the descend rate will be controlled between 0 and -4000 ft/min."Thank you very much for this gauge, Rob, I use it since a couple of moths and its great! I have created some different bitmaps for the gauge to fit into various panels (just for my personal use).Wolfgang

This gauge is outstanding...! It sure makes climbs into the flight levels more realistic...-John

>- PSS Dash8Huh!! Could you explain this post a bit more please. At this time, I am unaware of such a gauge in the PSS Dash8 panel.ThanksBarry

Guest UweR

Hi, a combination of IAS and ALT SEL on the Dash8 MCP will give you a FLCH mode (somewhat different though from a "standard" Boeing aircraft). The aircraft will meet and hold the selected airspeed by varying the VS - the core FLCH function. Limitations: The Dash8 has no autothrottle system, thus you will not have climb and idle thrust set automatically by the FMS. The aircraft flies with whatever throttle setting you set. At level off you