Sign in to follow this  
ron6468

Crash Detect vs Stress Damage vs Realism

I didnt realise most people had crash detection off! I'm trying to learn to make good landings and I thought having the crash setting on tells me if I made a good landing or not.

I thought having the crash setting on tells me if I made a good landing or not.

From my experience it doesn't. It'll only tell you when you crashed, and it seems to be over-sensitive about that. But there's a nice freeware program in the Avsim Library, which will collect loads of data about your landing, and it'll judge it way better. Here's the link: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=165171

Regards,

Flo

From my experience it doesn't. It'll only tell you when you crashed, and it seems to be over-sensitive about that. But there's a nice freeware program in the Avsim Library, which will collect loads of data about your landing, and it'll judge it way better. Here's the link: http://library.avsim...php?DLID=165171

Regards,

Flo

I have both ON, and apart from the occasional rogue airport have no problems with it.

The only thing I changed in the aircrafts I usually use was the max speed, so that the plane doesn't "explode" if I go 10kts over the limit (max_indicated_speed in aircraft.cfg). Once that is set to something reasonable the stress detection works just fine, e.g. affecting flaps or gears if used at inappropriate speeds.

I find the loss in reality from being allowed to bounce off the ground at any speed (if I turned crashes off) higher than running into an airport obstacle once in a while. And allowing crashes gives you the chance to actually have successful wheels-up landings (otherwise you just do endless belly-flops)..

Hard to believe these responses. I've always kept stress damage and crash detection on since the BEGINNING of my simulation experiences. However, after reading all these VALID reasons for turning these off, I think I concur. I will change my ways. It will be an adjustment, but it seems logical that we all know when we do the wrong things to cause a catastrophe. I, too, have had many a great flight stopped because I went over speed slightly or I bumped into something that wasn't visible at an airport. Thanks for the interesting discussion. Stan

Hi Stan, I think you've nailed the point exactly. Ive been doing this since the days of Bruce Artwick (just checking to see how old everyone is). Plus Ive flown in real life so I too know when Ive done it wrong without FSX crashing my sim for some unrealistic reason. Plus I try very hard to fly each type according to published limits to mimic realworld conditions whenever possible.

Ron W

I had a funny experience at first but at the end very annoying.

I had always crash detection ON just to find out when I am on my PMDG 737NGX and asking for a pushback, the pushback tug was coming and crashing on the AC. Now, the strange thing is that with my PMDG MD-11 it didn't happen that. No crashes at all! I was so frustated that I even created my own post about this situation.

So, it seems now crash detection OFF but I really would like to know about what causes such a problem and there is a crash issue with 737NGX and not with the MD-11

Any comments on "Crash Tolerance"?

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

I must admit I've always had all sliders to the right and crash detection on and can't say I've found it an issue. I've certainly never (ever) had a crash as a result of a hard landing, although there have been a few caused by landing short! One thing that I have found annoying (after a clean install and having no add-ons), is the number of times that I've 'broken' the Cessna 208 by allowing the speed to get to high during descent......I don't feel like I'm entitled to complain too much though - if too fast is 'too fast' I figure it's my fault.

Cheers

Paul Golding