Sign in to follow this  
JamesIceland

Moving Prepar3d Installation to a new SSD Drive

I have an SSD currently which has Windows 8 installed and also Prepar3d along with a number of add ons. Originally I thought the 256GB drive would be plenty for just these two main things - other programs and software I have installed on a standard HDD. However, I am quickly running out of space, particularly if I want to get future new add-ons (Orbx Global?!). I have therefore purchased a new standalone 256GB SSD drive which I intend to use just for Prepar3d and all it's add-ons.

I want to therefore move my Prepar3d installation across to the new drive, ideally without having to clean reinstall it along with all add-ons. A search on the topic of moving Prepar3d (or FSX) to a new hard drive comes up with a variety of opinions as to how to do it. Some say a fresh install is the only way (in an ideal world I go this route but would like to avoid if at all possible to see if there is a shortcut that allows me to avoid hours of reinstalling add-ons), others say it is possible to move the folder but then suggest a load of seemingly complicated registry edits may be needed - there are then pointers to registry editors/fixers which I have no idea how to use. I have also come across this site: http://janvaane.org/virtualfsx/archives/5674 which seems offer a solution for FSX - would doing this work and allow all add-ons current and future to work too?

Any advice and help would be much appreciated. A copy and paste scenario with minimal complex behind the scene registry editing would be ideal.

Many thanks

I also forgot to mention I have O&O Diskimage Pro and understand this may allow me to make a copy that I can then restore in another location. Again, another option I have seen but no idea if it may work. Help!

I think you will have to do a full re-install because you have Win8 on the same drive. I mean you could try to move everything over and edit the paths, etc, but I think P3D will fight that with it's protection (probably in the registry) because you have it installed on 'C:' drive and now need to move it to a different drive. Not to mention any payware looking for the C: drive as well.

I too have a dedicated SSD 256GB just for FSX and I that has quickly filled. So with my P3D, I am planning to move to a dedicated 512GB SSD as I know now 256 just doesn't hold enough for me (lot's of HD photoreal scenery). But I can just move my P3D to the SSD and then rename the drive to match the original Disk drive letter so it will be recognized as the same drive.

Another thing I do is I keep most of my add-on scenery on a separate HD. Then I can easily activate it for either P3D or FSX. Of course there are some payware (like my old Orbx), that are installed automatically on the FS drive so I have plenty of room for those type.

I would just go for a fresh install IMO.

Clutch

You will also need to reactivate P3d so let LM know ahead of time and they'll get you set up.

Don't waste time - uninstall and reinstall - you will save yourself a LOT of grief.

Vic

Why not wait until the next version of P3D for if that requires a fresh install again then you will be able to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks everyone. A fresh install seems the way to go. Feels like going back to the days of fsx reinstalls!! Don't know how many times I did that but I seem to have the install progress images burned into my retina so it must have been a few times! The suggestion to perhaps wait for v2.0 is one I have been contemplating. I may use my current set up and hold getting any more addons then just go for it with a clean install on the new ssd with v2.0...whenever that will be...

Thanks again.

Zoran, thanks for that. I have seen that solution a couple of times now but I wonder if anyone is able to verify if it works?

Thanks

mat I did it in 10 mins. that was 12 months ago and no probs at all