Sign in to follow this  
Tharmagon

Runway alignments for ILS landings

Yes, many many ILS are not aligned perfectly with the runway so the pilot has to land the plane. that's what they (the pilots) are there for.

Autoland is not as popular in the real world as most sim pilots seem to think it is.

Most RW pilots would rather land the plane by hand anyway.

ILS come in several different flavors called categories.

You may see ILS approaches referred to as CAT I, CAT II,CAT III, with the differences being visibility restrictions.

Autoland is only allowed on CAT III and even then requires the crew have special training, which costs the airline extra money.

CAT III are rare due to the fact that most airports can't justify the extra cost for the limited times it would be needed.

How often due you think the weather in Jamaica is bad enough for any ILS to be necessary anyway?

regards,

Joe

You can auto land on a CATI signal, where are you getting your info from? it is incorrect. Anyway, I would say the ILS in Kingston or Manley is tuned 99% of time, even when flying a raw data approach in VMC.

Why would you think you only use the ILS in bad weather?

Rob Prest

i think i did a semi-autoland once. From what i can member the PD was saying SINGLE CH instead of LAND3. About 50ft from the runway the AP cutoff and I manually did the flare and braking.

You can auto land on a CATI signal, where are you getting your info from? it is incorrect.

Autolanding is only permitted under Cat III conditions when there is no published Decision Height. If there is a published Decision Height, even in CAT IIIA or B,  then the pilot must initiate a missed approach unless he has established the necessary visual references before reaching the Decision Height.

The ICAO requirements are:

CAT I - a decision height not lower than 60 m (200 ft) and with either a visibility not less than 800 m or a runway visual range not less than 550 m

CAT II - a decision height lower than 60 m (200 ft), but not lower than 30 m (100 ft), and a runway visual range not less than 350 m

CAT IIIA - a) a decision height lower than 30 m (100 ft) or no decision height; and B)  a runway visual range not less than 200 m

CAT IIIB - a) a decision height lower than 15 m (50 ft) or no decision height; and  B)  a runway visual range less than 200 m but not less than 50 m

CAT IIIC - no decision height and no runway visual range limitations

Mgh, do you think operators wait for CATIII conditions when flight crew and aircraft have to maintain autoland currency? I am commenting based on fact, not taking info from the Internet.

Kind regards

Rob Prest

Mgh, do you think operators wait for CATIII conditions when flight crew and aircraft have to maintain autoland currency? I am commenting based on fact, not taking info from the Internet.

Kind regards

Look, at every ILS you can use autoland, no doubt. The only question is whether you land at right spot or somewhere in grass nerby.

It is done all the time across the globe to maintain autoland currency. As long as the signal is protected and you are above CATI minima then you can autoland. The guys in the pointy end are getting paid to make sure the automatics don't put them in the grass.

Rob Prest

Yea, its done, but not at all airports and runways. The good example is MKJP, where you do not want to do autoland. You do not want to autoland at 6 degrees glide too.So there are limitations, but most of rwys are within those I guess.

Announcing to ATC you are going to perform autoland is also a good practice, as they will coordinate ground traffic to not interfere ILS signal.

The guys in the pointy end are getting paid to make sure the automatics don't put them in the grass.

Then that's not an autolanding if the flight crew  have to take over. Autolanding cannot be done on a CAT I system which has lower standards than required.

Announcing to ATC you are going to perform autoland is also a good practice, as they will coordinate ground traffic to not interfere ILS signal.

They are more likely to tell you to go away. When Low Visibility Procedures needed for CAT II & III operations are in place aircraft waiting to take off have to be held further from the runway than normal and arriving aircraft have to delay the report "runway vacated". Airports won't introduced those procedures just because a pilot wants top practice a CAT II or III landing.

Mgh, did you read any of the above posts? Of course it is not an autoland, flight crew are there to takeover 'if' the aircraft or ILS signal is not performing as required, you go missed..

I am honestly curious as to where you are getting your info from mate? Can you explain what you mean by lower standards than required?

Again I am talking from real world experience.

Edit just had a rummage through some of our docs

You are allowed to conduct autoland practice (on a revenue flight) on a Cat 1 ILS when:

- The weather minimas allow for standard cat 1 ILS approach.

- Approved ILS approaches only (with protected glideslope transmitter area, adequate threshold clearing height)

- ATC must be notified

- Deviations in the ILS approach conducted to Cat 3 limits.

- Crew must be Low Vis Ops trained and current.

- Aircraft must still be current on the Autoland.

Cheers

Rob Prest

You can auto land on a CATI signal,

Of course it is not an autoland,

???

The technical requirements for CAT I, CAT II, and CAT III localisers and glide slopes are different. The higher the category the more stringent the requirements.

Mgh, your not getting it.. I'm going to leave you to it :)

Rob Prest

Mgh, your not getting it.. I'm going to leave you to it :)

You don't seem to have got the difference between a practice autolanding and a real one. You cannot do real autolanding on a CAT I system.

You cannot do real autolanding on a CAT I system

Yes, you can, what would stop you?

???

The technical requirements for CAT I, CAT II, and CAT III localisers and glide slopes are different. The higher the category the more stringent the requirements.

Let me try: Look, you can build localizer and GS in your backyard with tools from your garage and AP's Autoland function will be able to land an airliner in your backyard. AP doesn't care about airport equipment, as long as there is signal, it can perform an autoland.

And to quote some guy from PPRUNE, he made a good point:

CAT 2/3 approaches don't use a 'special' kind of ILS system - it's the same bit of kit, just supplemented with runway lighting, back-up power, monitoring, an accurately surveyed approach