Sign in to follow this  
gnomegemini

B787 on ground; transitflights possible?

Hello,

I am wondering about the grounding order of the 787. If an airline have had their 787 on a airport other then the home, are they allowed to transit the 787 without passengers to home hub or is this a strict order and the 787 is not allowed to fly anymore at all?

I believe once the 787 was grounded, where ever the 787 was, it still is.  I don't think any ferry flights were allowed.

As of Feb 18th, you can see here where all the 787's are sitting.

RJ

Must be costing airlines a fortune not only to have their brand new aircraft grounded not earning back that money that they cost be also paying for them to be stored oversea's. Difficult times for the 787. 

They can be flown with approval from the appropriate aviation authorities. Basically a ferry flight. I remember one being flown back to Seattle to the Boeing plant. Plus one has flown for testing purposes.<br /><br />Under certain circumstances airlines can ask for approval to ferry an aircraft to another location for maintenance that cannot be performed at its current location. They will submit the flight plan and what is wrong and ask for a one time exception.<br /><br />As for airlines losing money while those planes sit. Behind the scene Boeing and the airlines are negotiating terms for current and future considerations on other planes on order.<br /><br />Good to see Boeing has a new design they want to test.<br /><br />Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

FlightAware showed 2 of them flying earlier but I think the information was incorrect. Most likely it was a scheduled 787 flight but the airline was using another aircraft for the flight. The two airlines I saw was ANA and Ethiopean on their system

Matthew Kane