Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Minimums callouts

I have set up all of the altitude callouts in the FMC, and also the "approaching decision height" and "minimums" callouts. The altitude callouts all work fine, but for some reason the last two are never used. Does anyone know why that might be the case?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I used the captain's FMC to set it up.

Did  you read  "flying bliss"  post  he said nothing nothing  about  the fmc

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The only thing I can recall is whether you have actually set your approach minimums (Captainj(s EFIS panel)

Another thing I thought was that there is an option ion the FMC where you can turn on/off the calls that the FO makes.

Hopes this help.

Make sure you set it up on the captains EFIS and not FO. 

I used the captain's FMC to set it up.

What OminAtlas means is have you set the DA/DH/MDA using the MINS knob on the Captain's side of the glareshield?

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

What OminAtlas means is have you set the DA/DH/MDA using the MINS knob on the Captain's side of the glareshield?

No, I certainly have not done that. I am only hand flying the NGX on circuits at the moment (starting with everything running), so I did not realise that the minimums needed to be set up. What I call the "FMC" panel (the keypad at the top left of the centre pedestal) is presumably the "EFIS" panel, and I had set it up for these callouts to be made.

Thanks for the help, guys. I will check out that module when I get home later today, although I may be back if I can't work out how to do it!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You don't need to set a decision altitude / height when you're flying patterns as the pattern work is entirely visual. You obviously can see the runway when you're in the pattern. If you can't you wouldn't be allowed to do patternwork as it's VFR

vatsim s3

1133704.png

What I call the "FMC" panel (the keypad at the top left of the centre pedestal) is presumably the "EFIS" panel, and I had set it up for these callouts to be made.

EFIS stands for Electronic Flight Instrumentation System; the "EFIS panel" is what is used to control EFIS (i.e. set the display range and mode, QNH) and is generally located on the glareshield (the 757/767 is a notable exception to that rule). It's also where the MINS/BARO/RAD lives on the 737.

The FMC/FMS/FMGS "panel" is more correctly referred to as the CDU, Control and Display Unit.

You don't need to set a decision altitude / height when you're flying patterns as the pattern work is entirely visual.

That's true, but if you want to hear "approach minimums" and "decision height" type callouts, you need to set a DH/DA/MDA otherwise the computer has no reference for when to play the aural alerts - even if you've ticked the option in the PMDG settings on the FMS.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

That's true, but if you want to hear "approach minimums" and "decision height" type callouts, you need to set a DH/DA/MDA otherwise the computer has no reference for when to play the aural alerts - even if you've ticked the option in the PMDG settings on the FMS.

Fair, but what's the point?  DA(H)/MDA only have relevance in an environment where you're flying an instrument approach.

Kyle Rodgers

Because the original poster (Chris Low) was asking why he wasn't getting Minimums and Decision Height callouts despite having set them in the FMS. He wants to know how to hear them, even if they're not required for circuits.

support1.jpg

I just like to hear them. It's as simple as that :smile:

Fair enough.

I don't blame OP. The guy who calls out minimums sounds like a nice bloke. Kind of bloke you wouldn't mind buying a pint or two :D.