Sign in to follow this  
Delmarman

I need help Monitor and what resolution please....

Hi guys and gals. I am building my first computer and I am having lots of fun and learning alot. I currently fly on a dell labtop dual core 2 megaherts 4 ram machine and it sucks. It overheats voice becomes demonic and stutters fps are 5 it is unflyingable.

I already have my motherboard which is asus p8z77 vpro and my intel chip i3770k gonna over clock it to 4.5. I got 16 gb ram at 2133 CL 9. I also have a 850 watt PW power supply and creative lab radeon sound card. My video card is going to be a evga gtx 680 4gb card. My last piece is my monitor. i have been going back and forth between the dell ultrasharp ultrawide screen  2913wm at 21:9 and the dell ultrasharp u3011 at 21:10. One is 27 inch and the other 30 inch. 400 dollar price difference between them. I read all this stuff at about aspect ratio and windwon aspect= false and true and distortion. It really confuses me..I guess 1920 by 1080 i think is HD right. I am sure that is going to look better then anything  I have ever flown. I was wondering about going to the next level 2550 x 1600. Is it going to really improve my flight simulation expierence and can a gtx 680 4g handle that on a single monitor. Is there a big difference on the whole 21:9 and 21:10 ratio thing. Is 2550 x 1600 gonna blow me and is it a big hit on FPS. If so is it worth it to fly at that resolution or is 1920 x 1080 going to be the better choice. I will be flying the ngx and 777 only in virtual cockpit mode. I will also use trackir5. THanks alot in advance for everyones help and responses.

George

The higher resolution will look better and you will need less AA. If you've got the money go for the better monitor. The 680GTX 4GB is perfectly fine for that res. I was driving 3- 1920 x 1080 monitors on 1 680 GTX 2GB. You should be able to run close to max settings with that setup.

which is the better monitor the ultra widescreen or the u3011

which is the better monitor the ultra widescreen or the u3011

the U3011 is an IPS panel -  very nice picture

the 2913wm is super wide so will give good immersion in flight sims but it will end up looking a bit streched on the edges.

Both are great choices and you can't go wrong with either. It's mainly  a personal preference. issue....

the 2913wm is super wide so will give good immersion in flight sims but it will end up looking a bit streched on the edges.

No stretching in VC, FS renders "natural view" (for lack of a better term) into whatever resolution you throw at it. Try it with an extra window sometime.

(This is not true for 2D panels, btw, and is one of the reasons it is more difficult to do them compared to VC)

It does strech or give a fish eye effect -  no matter what you do. It can be lessened with zoom levels closer to 1.0 but it still is distorted. Trust me I know I run on 3 screens. This is with the wide view aspect or not...

I think the u3011 is widescreen also if I am correct but the other one is a little wider ultrawide. Will i get the same immerson effect with the U3011. I think I am leaning towards the u3011 dont what strectch edges lol

What about the Dell U3014 at 2560 x 1600 does anyone have one I am looking at buying this.

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

It does strech or give a fish eye effect -  no matter what you do. It can be lessened with zoom levels closer to 1.0 but it still is distorted. Trust me I know I run on 3 screens. This is with the wide view aspect or not...

Yep, it does go "fisheyed" at low zooms... that is what wideviewaspect setting is for though. Should make it better.

I guess running on three monitors does make variations in actual eye-to-display distance a bit bigger, making a kind of "hardware fisheye" in itself.

Hi guys and gals. I am building my first computer and I am having lots of fun and learning alot. I currently fly on a dell labtop dual core 2 megaherts 4 ram machine and it sucks. It overheats voice becomes demonic and stutters fps are 5 it is unflyingable.

I already have my motherboard which is asus p8z77 vpro and my intel chip i3770k gonna over clock it to 4.5. I got 16 gb ram at 2133 CL 9. I also have a 850 watt PW power supply and creative lab radeon sound card. My video card is going to be a evga gtx 680 4gb card. My last piece is my monitor. i have been going back and forth between the dell ultrasharp ultrawide screen  2913wm at 21:9 and the dell ultrasharp u3011 at 21:10. One is 27 inch and the other 30 inch. 400 dollar price difference between them. I read all this stuff at about aspect ratio and windwon aspect= false and true and distortion. It really confuses me..I guess 1920 by 1080 i think is HD right. I am sure that is going to look better then anything  I have ever flown. I was wondering about going to the next level 2550 x 1600. Is it going to really improve my flight simulation expierence and can a gtx 680 4g handle that on a single monitor. Is there a big difference on the whole 21:9 and 21:10 ratio thing. Is 2550 x 1600 gonna blow me and is it a big hit on FPS. If so is it worth it to fly at that resolution or is 1920 x 1080 going to be the better choice. I will be flying the ngx and 777 only in virtual cockpit mode. I will also use trackir5. THanks alot in advance for everyones help and responses.

George

You're spending a lot of money on a single monitor , if I was you I'd spent that money on a core i7 and overclocking that. Since you want a good FSX experience, a core i7 overclocked is going to be a lot better than a i3. 2550x1600 is going to have a big performance hit, which is probably why you should look at getting a more powerful CPU if that's what you're after.

I have the U3011 running with two E2311s on a GTX690. The U3011 is a phenomenal monitor and is absolutely stunning with color reproduction. I have yet to demo a U3014, but hopefully it will drive the 11's cost down a bit so I can get two more.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."