Sign in to follow this  
Jude Bradley

Are people really this stupid?

30 months is too low for such forms of life. 

I assume you live in the United States, because here in Europe they wouldn't even get 30 months. That's considered life for doing the worst crimes. I dont like the European prison sentences as I feel they are way too short for the sort of crime that was committed, I would prefer and I'm sure many others would prefer a system like America where life means life.

There is no point of locking people for long period or even for life because they made mistake. Deliberate murders, rapes and similar disgusting things should be punished as hard as can.

I assume you live in the United States, because here in Europe they wouldn't even get 30 months. That's considered life for doing the worst crimes. I dont like the European prison sentences as I feel they are way too short for the sort of crime that was committed, I would prefer and I'm sure many others would prefer a system like America where life means life.

In many European countries life does in fact mean life (it certainly does in the Netherlands). It's just not applied very often. Of course it also turns out that some of the 'softest' prison systems are actually best at making sure that people don't commit a crime again (see also: Norway).

Is there any reason to assume this guy's thought processes went further than: 'Hur hurr, pointing mah laz0r at a plane is fun!', because I seriously doubt this was an attempt to bring down a plane. I also don't think it's completely inconceivable that someone would not realise that shining their laser pointer at a plane can blind the pilot. If you point it at something close to you it's just a small dot, which would be very hard if not impossible to aim at a pilot's face when standing on the ground at some distance. Of course the laser beam diverges so the dot gets bigger if you get further away. It still think we can chalk this up to extreme stupidity rather than malicious intent though.

'Arrives with a voucher you can redeem to get 5% off your first fine of $25,000 or greater!'

Classic

Just in case people didn't realise, clicking a bit further on that site shows it was an April's fool joke, it doesn't actually exist.

This happened to me on my first night flight when getting my PPL, we got tagged by a laser over KPBI.  Some guy nailed both me and my instructor and it really does mess up your vision for a good while.

We called it in and had to speak to the Palm Beach Sheriff, turns out they knew the guy who was doing it.

I was amazed he could nail both of us from 1500 feet below at night.

This happened to me on my first night flight when getting my PPL, we got tagged by a laser over KPBI.  Some guy nailed both me and my instructor and it really does mess up your vision for a good while.

We called it in and had to speak to the Palm Beach Sheriff, turns out they knew the guy who was doing it.

I was amazed he could nail both of us from 1500 feet below at night.

Thank heavens both of you landed safely.

It was the strangest feeling, I could kind of feel the heat and energy deposited into my left eyeball, it felt like it has swollen up for at least 30 mins afterwards.  Not to mention my vision was blurry.

It also didn't help that it was my first real night flight LOL.

Oddly enough we had a bird strike earlier that same flight and there was smeared bird parts on the front windshield.

When it rains it pours...

I completely agree, here in Finland criminals get longer sentences from financial crimes  than from killing innocent people... I just hate how our legal system and government only cares about freedoms and rights of the criminal, not about the victim.

In many European countries life does in fact mean life (it certainly does in the Netherlands). It's just not applied very often. Of course it also turns out that some of the 'softest' prison systems are actually best at making sure that people don't commit a crime again (see also: Norway).

Well at least around here some murderers have killed again after getting released from jail and still even after that they have rarely stayed there for much more than 10 years or so...

I have no faith in our justice system, I highly believe the only way for any victim of such crime (or for those close to the victim) to get rightness in this country is through taking the law into ones own hands, of course that would put you into jail but who cares.

This country has also about 2x more violent crimes than Norway & Sweden although our juridical system is about as soft as theirs.

Our justice system is unable to protect people of this country from all those evil violent criminals around, I wish all those human rights organizations crying for righs of our prisoners living in hotel like "prisons" would instead actually care for all those innocent people killed by these prisoners.

Too bad in todays "humane" Europe the most effective and cheap way, bullet into the head isn't allowed punishment anymore... Sure there are plenty of people in our jails / outside of them that would deserve that.

Is there any reason to assume this guy's thought processes went further than: 'Hur hurr, pointing mah laz0r at a plane is fun!', because I seriously doubt this was an attempt to bring down a plane. I also don't think it's completely inconceivable that someone would not realise that shining their laser pointer at a plane can blind the pilot.

These laser attacks have been very widely covered by media, anybody should know these dangers by now. 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5