ASUS......27".....High Resolution.  Just perfect for me with FSX.

Stan

Asus 27 inch sounds good.

After my nightmare research I was just ordering the PB278Q 2560 x 1440 and was getting 3 of them for FSX VC when I was told my system might really struggle. Any thoughts. Should I stick with 3 x 1080's?

My system is

i4770

Maximus extreme

16GB Ram

SSD drive for FSX only

EVGA Titan Black Super clocked x 1

3x PB278Q's, am I pushing my luck and if so should I get one big monitor or go down to 1080's. Does a 1440 res look better for FSX?

Thanks for your help. I am about to jump off a cliff I think.

Andrew

2560 x 1440 and was getting 3 of them

I think that exceeds the maximum resolution supported by the Titan, which is quoted as 4096x2160.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Thank for your reply so what type of monitor should I buy then?

Is it safer to purchase 1 x large monitor rather than 3.

Thanks again

Andrew

Well I did buy 3 x PB278q's IPS monitors and played virtual cockpit. My time FPS with 70 to 80 % wound settings is giving me 26 to 40 depending FPS and appears smooth but how much smoother 1080's x 3 would be I do not know. This is running off the Titan Black. I checked my old system and it was running 16FPS with same aircraft.

What should I be getting in FPS that you would call satisfactory.

1 x monitor 2560x1440 gives me 40 to 50 FPS so adding too more really does not appear to effect it too much.

Being a new computer I have not overclocked it yet so it is running at 3.5 and with the good gear I got they are saying it should easily go over 4.5. Do you think this increase will make much difference to FPS.

Any one using 3 x 1080's out there for vc on FSX that has some FPS rates for my comparison. I am wondering should I change mine for 1080's but would it be much better?

Thanks

Andrew

Well I did buy 3 x PB278q's IPS monitors and played virtual cockpit. My time FPS with 70 to 80 % wound settings is giving me 26 to 40 depending FPS and appears smooth but how much smoother 1080's x 3 would be I do not know. This is running off the Titan Black. I checked my old system and it was running 16FPS with same aircraft.

What should I be getting in FPS that you would call satisfactory.

1 x monitor 2560x1440 gives me 40 to 50 FPS so adding too more really does not appear to effect it too much.

Being a new computer I have not overclocked it yet so it is running at 3.5 and with the good gear I got they are saying it should easily go over 4.5. Do you think this increase will make much difference to FPS.

Any one using 3 x 1080's out there for vc on FSX that has some FPS rates for my comparison. I am wondering should I change mine for 1080's but would it be much better?

Thanks

Andrew

Just try running the 27s at 1080 and see how they go.

Option one, just select 1080 in fsx.

Option two, set 1080 in Widows and fsx.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

1- Graphics card:  get a GTX Titan or Titan Black if you can afford it.

2- Plan "B" Buy a msi 4GB GTX770.  Great performance and quite reasonable price.  Requires DECENT power supply 750w or better recommended.

3- VRAM on the Video Card - long term, 4GB min, 6GB is better yet.  AVOID 2GB and even 3GB.

Monitor:  IPS is best call, if you ever elect to switch to 3 monitors, you'll be glad you bought IPS!

I have had great luck with HP 2711ix IPS monitor, very very THIN and very very small 'bezel'.

Long-term, consider a 64-bit sim.  Possibly P3D will go 64-bits in the not-distant future, you should buy XPlane Global and play with it.  You'll be amazed.

Both XPlane and P3D take advantage of the newer Graphics cards, FSX does not.  P3D is designed for an requires DirectX 11.  That's very important.  Until P3D gets to 64-bits though, I personally think XPlane is better, with the caveat that you'll need to hunt around for airports and such. There is a wealth of free scenery floating around for XPlane, as well as some very good payware.

If you're a tubeliner person, the free x737 EADT plane just got released in 32 and 64-bits in early May 2014 for XPlane 9 and XPlane10.  It's quite cool.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Hi, update on my rig.

After numerous hours of testing 3 x 27inch IPS Asus278Q 2560 x 1440 Res being run by an over clocked Titan Black superclocked, Asus Maxiums and i4770K and 16GB ram with a latency of 8, well I am over it.

One of the screens has a smudge on it but appears to be on the inner side and cannot be wiped off and very obvious. The other has a dead pixel leaving one good monitor. Monitors all new and sealed!

Stats:

3 x moninors running with flight sim set at about 70% shows a frame rate of nearly 120FPS on default aircraft lowering to 90's in heavy traffic.... Very smooth fast and graphics great.

Load my Qantas PMDG 747-400 up and got a FPS of 15 to 30 and did not seem to happy to be honest. I have not tried all my other PMDG as the licence numbers expired waiting for re-activation. Do you think an add on like this could lower the frame rates by nearly 100 or is something wrong. I used same settings/airport and so on.

My system is not overclocked but is running I think around 3.5 to 3.9?

Would 4.5 clock speed make much difference?

On 1 x monitor it runs PMDG 747 at 70 to 80 FPS and very smooth.

I changed the frame rate to around 1080 HD and only got an increase of 10 FPS running the 747 at around 30 to 40 FPS and looks crappy.

So what are my options, I am taking the 2 x monitors back and due to them being faulty can ask for refund and be;

Happy with 1 x 27 inch?

Got to a 4K x 1?

27inch x 3 in 1080's or 24 inch?

Gaming monitors at 1080 from Ben Q and 1ms

Can someone please help, its doing my head in. I am a bit curious as to the PMDG 747 add on and will try the 777 soon. I am running 64 bit windows ultimate

Would Norton's 360 slow it down?

Again any help to the many Q's above would be so much appreciated no stores here have any idea.

Thanks again

Andrew

I run my 4770K at 4.4 stable and have only 1 screen. See my pc specs, i was the topic starter and bought the asus, very happy with it. 

Only thing at the moment what is  "reducing"  my frames a lot is the overcast clouds in P3dv2.2, because we can still not use the nvidia control, 

Beside my flight PC, I have a laptop with 2 screens, for EFB and ASN etc.

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

Hi, update on my rig.

After numerous hours of testing 3 x 27inch IPS Asus278Q 2560 x 1440 Res being run by an over clocked Titan Black superclocked, Asus Maxiums and i4770K and 16GB ram with a latency of 8, well I am over it.

One of the screens has a smudge on it but appears to be on the inner side and cannot be wiped off and very obvious. The other has a dead pixel leaving one good monitor. Monitors all new and sealed!

Stats:

3 x moninors running with flight sim set at about 70% shows a frame rate of nearly 120FPS on default aircraft lowering to 90's in heavy traffic.... Very smooth fast and graphics great.

Load my Qantas PMDG 747-400 up and got a FPS of 15 to 30 and did not seem to happy to be honest. I have not tried all my other PMDG as the licence numbers expired waiting for re-activation. Do you think an add on like this could lower the frame rates by nearly 100 or is something wrong. I used same settings/airport and so on.

My system is not overclocked but is running I think around 3.5 to 3.9?

Would 4.5 clock speed make much difference?

On 1 x monitor it runs PMDG 747 at 70 to 80 FPS and very smooth.

I changed the frame rate to around 1080 HD and only got an increase of 10 FPS running the 747 at around 30 to 40 FPS and looks crappy.

So what are my options, I am taking the 2 x monitors back and due to them being faulty can ask for refund and be;

Happy with 1 x 27 inch?

Got to a 4K x 1?

27inch x 3 in 1080's or 24 inch?

Gaming monitors at 1080 from Ben Q and 1ms

Can someone please help, its doing my head in. I am a bit curious as to the PMDG 747 add on and will try the 777 soon. I am running 64 bit windows ultimate

Would Norton's 360 slow it down?

Again any help to the many Q's above would be so much appreciated no stores here have any idea.

Thanks again

Andrew

YES, Norton 360 CAN and LIKELY IS slowing you down!  Norton doesn't recognize flight sim as PC in use, and so tries to perform "background tasks" - look at your hard disk activity light!  If it's blinking a lot during flight, indicative of disk thrashing (typical Norton 360 behaviour).  You can right click on Norton 360 icon in your taskbar and choose TURN ON SILENT MODE, will stop the background Norton tasks, I typically turn it off for 1 day.  It's really annoying.

Second, at the risk of becoming unpopular on this forum, recommend you watch my videos (see link in signature block) and compare performance in P3D triple-screens vs. X-Plane 10 triple-screens.

Clearly you have some financial means, so I'm going to crawl out on a limb and let you also know I bought a pair of "happy meal" (inexpensive Dell 8500's) from a membership club, they ran about $700 each with no monitor.

Yanked the discrete (stand alone) base model nVidia video card out, installed msi 4GB GTX770 and upgraded Corsair 750 watt PSU in each PC.  Frames and graphics performance in XPlane 10 are insane, and I'm completely satisfied.  Caution:  Many of the pre-built PCs do not offer a 'discrete' video card (they use motherboard graphics). That would not work for you if you want to put in an upgraded video card - because the motherboard may lack the proper slot for your add-in video card!  So make sure if you're buying a 'pre-built' that it says "discrete graphics" on the box!  That means there IS a plug-in video card slot.  The stock video cards typically are 1GB of VRAM and the very lowest end of the performance curve.  If you're going to buy a better video card, I suggest the 4GB (NOT the 2GB version) msi OC (overclocked from the factory) GTX770 (about $299 street).  MSI has very nice air cooling (TwinFrozr) which is key when  you're putting an upper end card into a tiny off-the-shelf PC case.

Recommend IPS-type monitors for triple view.  XPlane supports multiple PCs via network connection - and that's the heart and soul of great sim performance if you want more than one screen. Asking just ONE box (PC) to render everything including moving views spread across three monitors at 1080p, plus weather (clouds) and shadows - plus render the aircraft and perform all the in-flight calculations - well, it took me 2 years to realize but this was simply TOO MUCH WORK for one box, forget about 4.73ghz i7 overclocked and the fact that I have a GTX Titan (6GB)... I still got less than stellar frames with only ONE monitor after piling all the ORBX global, vector, NorCal, and every payware airport I could find on top of P3D.  

I love the 'look' of P3D - hands-down it's the prettiest girl on the planet right now.  Unfortunately, it's not optimized for multi-monitors (Lockheed chose to remove multi-channel [network] support, though there is 'multi-player' which DOES permit triple screens [choose 'share aircraft'] but its not smooth enough for me.  The views lose synchronization on the horizontal plane if you pitch the nose up and down suddenly in P3D.  This is NEVER an issue in XPlane.

Back channel efforts to have multi-channel put back into P3D have thus far proven fruitless.  If LM brings that back and can make it work as expected, I think P3D (fully networked) would be the killer - especially if they also move to 64-bits so we can use every ounce of system RAM.

Note:  XPlane really needs a lot of VRAM on the video card(s), it's designed to use every drop of it...and does so with HD texture and scenery rendering.

IPS-monitors look great regardless of viewing angle, and that is a factor when you have a 180-degree FOV (Field-of-View) on triple monitors.  Also, there is a color balancing device called ColorMunki which does a wonderful job of matching up the color, contrast and brightness of ALL your displays - so colors are consistent on multi-screen views. Available at the rain forest website.

Cheers and best of luck.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Thank you for your quick reply, Can I ask what FPS's you are getting  for comparison.

Thanks

Andrew

Thank you for your quick reply, Can I ask what FPS's you are getting  for comparison.

Thanks

Andrew

Sure.  My center or 'main' pc is the i7 2600k Overclocked to 4.70 ghz stable on Noctua DH-14 air cooling, with GTX Titan GPU.  The Two 'wing' pcs are i5's 3.20 ghz from membership club with upgraded power supply and upgraded 4GB msi GTX 770 OC video cards.

Frames on center monitor generally stable at 30 fps (locked), the two wings can go as high as 180 fps in sky scenes to a low of 28 or so in extremely complex ground scenery at HD resolution with most sliders near their max.  Most of the time, the wings are ranging between 30 and 60 or so, which is plenty fast! I would say average of 40 seems about right.

Remember, these numbers are for XPlane 10, which handles a situation like mine much better (so far) than P3D's Multi-Player solution.  I really wound up going back and forth between X-Plane, FSX and P3D.  The thing that keeps bringing me back to XPlane is the frames and smoothness.

New HD textures (free) and Aerosoft's OSM North America Scenery (free) have added to my long term commitment to XPlane 10.2x.  No, Xplane is not 'perfect', but it seems to keep making quantum leaps, and now that I've accumulated a bunch of free and some payware airports and such, it's very competitive in my mind with it's 32-bit cousins, FSX and P3D.

If flying with multiple monitors is important to you, I suggest long-term you'll be well served by considering XPlane as an addition to your sim stable.  The XPlane demo is too time-limited to be practical, I bought XP on faith, and took my time setting it up.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Believe it or not I have xp10 but just did not install it as I was setting up monitors and so on.

Thanks again

I just bought a Samsung S27B370

Bert,

I was looking at that monitor.  If I recall it has a round base.  Cannot find specs that provide the diameter of the base.  Would you please measure the distance from the back apex of the round base to the front of the display screen bezel for me?  I would like to see if that monitor would encroach toward me too much.  Because of the wall behind my desk I have only so much space to work with when my yoke is mounted.  Distance from my eyes to a display's viewing surface.  My current 21" monitor has a rectangular base that allows it to be scooted to the back edge of my desk.  My desk is an inch from the wall behind it.  My concern, especially given a 27" screen size, is that the screen might sit too close.  Even if I moved the desk further away from the wall the base would then hang over the back edge of the desk.  My only other option would be to mount a screen flush to the wall.  Not sure if that monitor could accommodate that.  Any wall mount bracket would defeat the purpose (viewing distance).

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere