Hey, the difference betweem 2560x1600 and 2560x1440 is minimal, it isn't worth worrying about. OOM issues have never been an issue I've had problems with, mainly because I am pretty sensible (me thinks) about how I run FSX. ie REX clouds 1024, all aircraft liveries at 1024 res, AI at 25% no traffic, no boats, never maximum autogen. FSX is a 32 bit program and to be honest was never intended to run the kind of addons that most of us are now running. If you are running FSX with max graphics, max AI, all the high res addons, with heavy weather scenarios and getting very close to running out of virtual memory, then something as small as a few extra pixels may push you over the edge. At the end of the day, it's about balancing a system and deciding what things are important.

thanks Howard, may I point you to a other topic I started because of this. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/404370-videocards-ooms-vas-memory-dx-910/#entry2638663

but if I am right it means, the higher the resolution you are using, more chances on OOM's. So with the lower resolutions I could run more addons?  Planning for the titan videocard which has 6gb. Wish there were already some experienced users using this card, which could give some more info.

So the trade;

low res faster fps and lesser OOM's

high res less fps and more changes on OOM's

interesting stuff, still aiming at 27" 1920 x 1080 ips......

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

thanks Howard, may I point you to a other topic I started because of this. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/404370-videocards-ooms-vas-memory-dx-910/#entry2638663

but if I am right it means, the higher the resolution you are using, more chances on OOM's. So with the lower resolutions I could run more addons?  Planning for the titan videocard which has 6gb. Wish there were already some experienced users using this card, which could give some more info.

So the trade;

low res faster fps and lesser OOM's

high res less fps and more changes on OOM's

interesting stuff, still aiming at 27" 1920 x 1080 ips......

Mmm, all I can say is that I have never had any issues regarding OOM.. well, only once, and that was with the recently released CYVR from FSDT. However, that was an issue which many guys experienced. BTW, and I'm sure others will support me on this advice, if you are using you rig purely for FSX, then PLEASE do not blow all that money on a Titan videocard... you will NEVER see any benefit which justifies that kind of price. FSX is a CPU bound 32bit program and as such any improvement with upgrading graphics cards becomes a question of diminishing returns. I think that the amount of guys using the Titan video card reflects what I have just said  :wink:  

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Mmm, all I can say is that I have never had any issues regarding OOM.. well, only once, and that was with the recently released CYVR from FSDT. However, that was an issue which many guys experienced. BTW, and I'm sure others will support me on this advice, if you are using you rig purely for FSX, then PLEASE do not blow all that money on a Titan videocard... you will NEVER see any benefit which justifies that kind of price. FSX is a CPU bound 32bit program and as such any improvement with upgrading graphics cards becomes a question of diminishing returns. I think that the amount of guys using the Titan video card reflects what I have just said    

thanks

also no extra value for clouds or extra aliasing, or higher resolution? I know fsx is cpu intensive.

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

thanks

also no extra value for clouds or extra aliasing, or higher resolution? I know fsx is cpu intensive.

You're right to a degree, but if you think that the price justifies the return, then sure. I'm not suggesting that there won't be an improvement in AA and cloud perfromance, only that the improvement will be absolutely minimal compared to a 6xx series card costing a fraction of the price.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I really thought  about getting this monitor, but was nervous that the 144hz refresh rate would affect FSX performance as it relates to Word Not Allowed's tweaks and 1/2 refresh rate setttings in Nvidiainspector. Maybe my worries were unwarranted?

Well, I haven't experienced any issues or lack of performance. I do recommend this monitor and do recommend you buy it. Advice: do your research before buying.

also if I only run fsx? I am only running flightsims. I do tend to use track-ir.....

I also use TrackIR and have zero ghosting. There's a good chance there will be some ghosting if the response time is @ 5ms. I'm sure of this in regards to FPS shooter type games but can't say with 100% certainty this will happen in FSX, 5ms could be perfectly suitable to flight simming. Hopefully someone can comment on this.

The Titan card will benefit you a lot more in XP10 over FSX, I'm doing pretty good with a GTX680 2GB card but if you have the cash to get the Titan, please let us know how it works out. B)

What do you think about the ratio, all monitors you talked about are 16:9 and FSX was designed to 4:3, how true is this and whats the impact? I read 2D panel looks awful in 16:9 aspect ratio

What do you think about the ratio, all monitors you talked about are 16:9 and FSX was designed to 4:3, how true is this and whats the impact? I read 2D panel looks awful in 16:9 aspect ratio

2d panels do look terrible - and are a thing of the past..

If you fly in the VC, which FSX was designed for, the widescreen ratio looks great!

Bert

sorry for late response, still did not made a decision for my monitor :blush:  What do you mean with the ratio? I thought you could set wideview in the cfg?

I will fly in vc and the screen will be 27" ( still not sure about the brand / resolution / back lightning /  gloss / response time ). SO what would be the best ratio then?

sorry for late response, still did not made a decision for my monitor :blush: What do you mean with the ratio? I thought you could set wideview in the cfg?

I will fly in vc and the screen will be 27" ( still not sure about the brand / resolution / back lightning / gloss / response time ). SO what would be the best ratio then?

I read on an article that a wide screen 16:9 ratio is not the best for FSX because FSX was designed for a 4:3 ratio (relation between wide and heigh) so if you configure a full screen on a 16:9 for FSX the image will distortion,

I read on an article that a wide screen 16:9 ratio is not the best for FSX because FSX was designed for a 4:3 ratio (relation between wide and heigh) so if you configure a full screen on a 16:9 for FSX the image will distortion,

You should not believe everything you read... B)

Bert

Total bologna!

I would guess that the majority of FSX users are at 16:9 ratio and the majority of them don't know about the 'WideViewAspect=True' setting in the FSX.cfg

Clicky this for a screenshot at 1920x1080: http://virtual-aviation.org/main/images/jonp/avsim/screenshoots/2013-4-6_23-54-26-213_with_SweetFX.jpg

Total bologna!

I would guess that the majority of FSX users are at 16:9 ratio and the majority of them don't know about the 'WideViewAspect=True' setting in the FSX.cfg

Clicky this for a screenshot at 1920x1080: http://virtual-aviation.org/main/images/jonp/avsim/screenshoots/2013-4-6_23-54-26-213_with_SweetFX.jpg

WOW is all I can say for this picture!!

really considering your monitor. Only thing I want to do in the store is to check the difference in quality between 1920*1080 or 2560 x 1440, and the color quality.

I am slowing getting my pc together, and will wait for Haswell and the at that moment latest single fastest GPU from Nvidia.

I am building with water cooling etc, but actually my biggest problem is the monitor....

I really would like to go at least 27" but I know, that I have to watch out for high resolution.

Do I need IPS? how much Hz? Reflection? night flying? 

What about 16:10 ratio or others? Does it need to be a gaming monitor for FSX ( tering / lag )

I am enjoying scenery as well as fluent ( high FPS ) flying so I would like to now what's the best monitor for this at the moment?

hope someone could point me to some good monitors for fsx.

Interesting thread for somebody being in the same situation that you were :smile: ! I see that you went to the Asus pb278q 2560x1440 which is my #1 choice at that time . Are you happy with it  ? No issue with PMW backlighting/flickering   ?

The 30" U3014 looks good too but a lot of  users complaints...

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

hi dominique, my pc is still not finalized. so I can't fly at this moment .