Sign in to follow this  
Guest prichards

Captain Sim 707 released!

Guest Dakota

I have been wating for this 707 for along time. I have to wait till after work to try it out though. I might have to leave early, I feel a cold coming on. :-hah

I noticed (at least from the pics) CS didn't model the classic black exhaust smoke you always see when the 707 takes off... It's weird to see the pics without the black smoke... :-hmmm

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest saluki57

I liked the 727 a lot, but found the small gauges difficult to use in real navigation. Before I plunk down for the 707 can someone tell me if there is some way around this, like a pop up magnified window or something?Thanks!

Guest Dakota

After flying around a bit, I like the package. It is real similar to the 727 package. If you like that one you will like this, if not, you won't. The guages are still small and hard to read, and it is a frame rate hog. On my humble little P4 2.5 Ghz system with NVDIA GeForce 4 TI4600, I am able to normaly average 30 fps. With the 707 I am only getting 16-20. There is visible smoke from the engines, but I guess they have a way of revising the effect file to make it thicker if you prefer.It will probably be a late night for me as I play around some more with this.

Guest Gdavis101

Me too, but I am going to have to wait a little longer..

Guest danowat

I was just about to buy it, BUT, I then found out that the voice set says "welcome to this 727", and the ground staff talk about 3 engine starts.Hmmm....smacks of laziness me thinksDan.

Guest mikealpha

>> The guages are still small and hard to read, and it is a frame rate hogSigh. A pity developers don't realize well readable instruments are essential for flying. Without having to run at 1600*1200 on a 21" monitor.So that product more smells like a screenshot simulator.Michael

Guest mikealpha

Paul,>> So you'd rather have gauges like those shown here?Yes, exactly ! That looks like being designed with the pilot more in mind. Already on my must-buy list ;)Michael

After all the patches were released for the CS 727, I was uncertain whether to buy the plane or not for a long time. I didn't after reading the many complaints about the panel instruments.So, after the 707 was released today, I felt this same uncertainty again. Many intense looks at the screenshots and various forums convinced me now to NOT BUY the bird.The reason: everything's here for the eye. But since I don't fly in spot view, instruments are the most important thing for me. The panel of the 707 is way too big for my 1024x768 LCD, so I'd loose too many details to be happy.As a long time simmer, I cannot understand how anyone can be happy with tiny or unreadable or even hard-to-read instruments which in addition aren't smooth enough. Not to mention the so-praised VC, which by design doesn't allow for smooth instrument movement at all. You can use a VC only for visual flights this way or for visual situation awareness before switching back to 2D (I have the Ariane 737 grounded until 2D panels come along; impossible to use seriously with a VC, as any other plane in my opinion as well). But that's where the trend goes: instead of functionality, there again is the hunt for eye-candy (you cannot make a 2D panel both realistic and 'photo real' and at the same time perfectly usable, everything here is a compromise).Need to keep using freeware instead (BTW not the worst thing)...Andreas

To be fair Dan, lazy developers don't bother to go to such extreme lengths in re-creating such highly detailed aircraft. The sounds might have slipped past testing, but I dont' think any developer who makes products on the level of Captain Sim should be tagged as lazy.