Sign in to follow this  
Beardyman

Sweet fx

@axel welll,that explains it for us both... Because windows 8.1 has dx11.2 ...and sweetfx isn't compatible with that..you could try to run efx...but I didn't succeed at that yet... So I'm back to enb for now.

@Paul how do you mean"if it is working?".. Sorry, I shall not assume sir ;):D

Victor Roos

My bad! I thought that yours was working.. I mixed a couple of posts here! Duh. :(

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

My bad! I thought that yours was working.. I mixed a couple of posts here! Duh. :(

don't worry sir. Your posts have been more than helpful through my fsx installation times, just so you know ;)

Victor Roos

Well, I gave this a try.  The first time I tried it, FSX wouldn't start, and I removed the files.  Tried it again last night with a different install process and it works.  I used Engine Room's settings, and I REALLY like what I see.  So I think it's a keeper, particularly as I'm thinking hard about gettng Steve's DX10Fixer.  I would like to have HDR(sort of), Bloom, and cockpit shadows, and then I'll have most of what I wanted from P3D.

BUT....I notice my external frame limiter no longer works when I run SweetFX.  The internal limiter costs me too many FPS.  How do I use the nVidia inspector limiter?  I've searched around, and I know the information is in many threads, probably, but help a fella out.  What do I set in the fsx.cfg and in nVidia inspector to use the video card limiter?

I do use a batch file to start FSX that restarts Aero mode already.  

So you actually see the nice colours? Cause for me, I just get an extreme increase in brightness when I press scrollock

I had the same issues. You might try to disable SMAA_ANTIALIASING in your SWEETFX  settings file, solved it for me.

#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 0 //[0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the SMAA technique.

Cheers, Andreas

Try a search for Engine Room's settings.  His are the ones I'm using.  No SSMA, but some HDR, Bloom, and other stuff.  It's not over the top, or dark.  It's wonderful, sharp and clear, like the FSX world-wide epidemic of smog suddenly lifted!  

Now, how about those nVidia FSP settings someone?  :-)

@andreas thanks, I'll try :)

@griphos, could you link me to the thread where you found the settings?

I'll look into the inspector for you :)

Victor Roos

You bet:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/389455-have-any-of-you-tried-this-sweetfx/page-23

You can see from his split screens how it clears up the "smog" nicely without introducing too much bloom or contrast or crazy colors. Everyone's taste is different, of course. That's why I wish people who,post settings would post a few pics to show what those settings produce. I guess it's easy enough to just try them, but I hate messing under the good once the engine is purring nicely.

Anyway, Engine's settings seem like a good base to start from.

P.S. I think I got the inspector limiter working. I set it to standard, and 1/2 refresh rate. Left it at unlimited in the sim, and remarked the forcewindowsfullvsync line in the config. That seems to have done it. Frames stay locked at 30 and closer to 30 than ever before. I do use the fsuipc mod that turns aero back on when I start FSX.

Update your DX10 version.

A couple of issues arose over the last month or so, one being SweetFX and DX10 exiting with an "Unable to load…" error - and the fix was to go to Microsoft and download the latest version of the DX10 runtime. Microsoft DirectX is included as an integral part in Windows operating systems, and you can update DirectX by applying the latest service pack or other updates through Windows Update.

pj

Paul, do you have a link to update DX10? I am on W7 64 bit. Thank you

Eric 

Pinned as #2 here, Eric.

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.