Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Some guidance on STAR procedures please!

Hi All

I'm trying to advance my simming by the addition of SIDs and STARs into my flights, and am looking for a little guidance on the approach part of what I do.

So, I'm flying along, in this instance from EGGD to EDDM and I have EDDM ATIS tuned, so that I can find out which runway is active. I find out that 8R is the active runway.

When I go into the DEP/ARR page of the FMC and look at the EDDM 08R procedures, there are several STARs listed. I consult the charts to identify the STARs which are appropriate to my direction of arrival and see the following:

RdUyeXITwi7AjysmU7L5.png

I arbitrarily choose the ABGAS1A STAR.

Now, here is what I understand from this STAR (probably not a lot!)

I will go to ABGAS and this is the entry point of the STAR. From ABGAS I will proceed to LURER, then LELTA, then ROKIL, then IAF. Then there is no "link" between IAF and the runway. I also notice that I have various "transitions" to select from in the FMC, namely:

NAP08

SU08R

VE08R

NA08R

BET08R

EL08R

MUN

I do not know whether I have to choose one of these, and if so, which one, but I take a gamble and select "MUN", as I can see it on the chart.

By some stroke of luck this plots a course - which I've roughly added below - which I can follow using LNAV until such point that I intercept the localizer, and then you know the rest.

jxWMpKZCZJrP7e0lbgyf.png

But it all feels a bit hit and miss, like I'm gambling on what to select in the FMC about which STAR, which transition etc. Can someone please help me with a few pointers, as I don't think I really know enough about the STAR procedures and the information on the chart, especially for airports with tens of different STARs and transitions, etc.

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

I'm not sure, but to me it looks like you'll actually be vectored from the IAF to final, and otherwise you're supposed to enter the holding pattern at MIQ until you get further clearance.

Looking at the chart this is what I'd do instead, since I don't fly online and hence don't have realistic ATC: I'd leave the STAR on about the 110 inbound radial of MAH and follow that radial until I can capture the LOC, which should be in reach. Note that this is definitely not the correct procedure, though.

Btw, on some charts the SID or STAR is explained in words, too.

Don't get too hung up about the finer details of the charts. In Europe, and particularly at a busy field like this in Germany you'd be vectored by ATC once inbound on the STAR around to the localizer. In the real world with considerations of fuel, noise and the environment it's highly unlikely you'd go all round the houses from the IAF at MIQ back round to the runway. More likely would be you'd get a heading issued by ATC from ABGAS to line you up with the localizer. They have a lot of traffic coming in and want you in the flow as efficiently as possible. To simulate this as true to real life as possible you could get to the STAR and then self position onto the localizer.

once you reach the iaf fix for the star you would switch to the approach-plate for rw8r and go from there

NOTE 5: CLT-Limit your going to either get vectored via radar or instructed to use the the RWY 08 GPS or RNAV approach procedure? ( My interpretation for what its not worth). Europe procedures are crazy. :)

There is a ROKIL 08 RNAV transistion, which will join up with your selected STAR, the ABGAS1A.

However, when flying on VATSIM, controllers will track shorten the transistion significantly. If there is no other traffic, there is no need for you to join a 25nm final which is what the transition will line you up for.

Wow, these procedures are a minefield for the uninitiated! Thanks all for your helpful responses, I will keep learning :)