Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uhntissbaby111

Help with enhancing FS world

Hello all. I am a few weeks out from building a new rig and getting back into FSX (waiting on haswell to come out). And now that ill finally have a powerful enough rig to handle good scenery, i plan on greatly enhancing my FSX world. And this is where i need help as i have been out of the loop for the last few years. A little info on what im looking for and the kind of flying i do. I pretty much only fly the bigger airliners, so wont be doing any VFR flying. And my favorite area to fly is Europe and North America. I understand FTX global is coming out soon and plan on getting that, as well as add on airports. My question is, what addons do you recommend to improve on the terrain and look of the ground below over europe and north america? As well as what addons improve on the sim world over all, such as REX? Thanks for any help

Adam

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ultimate Terrain

FS Global 2010 Mesh

Active Sky 2012

FTX Global and REX should get you all the way in the looks department.

I second REX and ActiveSky. It's a winning combination.

In North America you can build a large area of great-to-look-at ORBX regions (five of them so far) with a number of bigger, visually improved airports in it. All ORBX regions bought in a single deal can be expensive.

But you could try out the free PNW demo version first. Maybe the ORBX airport improvement can help you save some money on addon airports.

I second REX and ActiveSky. It's a winning combination.

In North America you can build a large area of great-to-look-at ORBX regions (five of them so far) with a number of bigger, visually improved airports in it. All ORBX regions bought in a single deal can be expensive.

But you could try out the free PNW demo version first. Maybe the ORBX airport improvement can help you save some money on addon airports.

He is planning on buying FTX Global and flies airliners so FTX regions aren't the best thing to get.

To improve the Europe and US terrain you might think about (besides FTX Global) a mesh addon (GS Global or FS Genesis) and UTX (for real life roads, waters, etc.), although you might also wait for Orbx's landclass addon, OpenLC, which also might help in that department. I personally don't use mesh addons: I don't see the difference unless I take comparison screenshots. And who needs every rock on every mountain to be displayed when you fly airliners...?

When you get REX you might not need Active Sky because it's a bit the same (textures and weather) although the weather is better with AS. You might also give the REX weather engine a try and when you don't like it, you could consider getting OpusFSX, which mainly is a weather addon and which works faster then the rest.

I myself plan on using only FTX Global and OpenLC for scenery and REX plus OpusFSX for the environment. I am done with all those expensive scenery regions and addon airports. I mainly fly the 737NGX and never leave the VC when doing so, so Global and OpenLC will do for me.

Ultimate Terrain

Opus weather

GEX or FTX global

I agree, mesh is a waste for someone who commonly flies at FL350.

Opus weather. It has DHM built in. Once you use it you won't be able to fly without it! My textures come from Active Sky 2012 but REX is also great.

I would get a world mesh and FTX Global. Even though you re a high flyer, there are plenty approaches where you get a good view of the scenery to really appreciate it, and some challenging approaches turn to pretty boring ones without good mesh.

Then if you do some low level vfr, you are already set to go!