Sign in to follow this  
VitaminA330

AMD CPU possible solution?

Hi folks!

Just came from reading lots of discussions about FSX hardware, as I want to upgrade my system in the near future.

This is what I have now:

ASRock M3A770DE

AMD Athlon II X4 640 (4x3 GHz)

8GB DDR3 RAM

NVidia Geforce GTS 450 (1 GB memory)

1 TB WD HDD 7.200 rpm

Win7 64bit

Had some problems with OOM's which I can handle a bit better now, but I think in a complex aircraft over complex scenery the CPU clearly sets the limits now. That's why I want to buy a new CPU soon. 

I know "the standard PC simmer" has got an Intel i5 or i7 (or at least the cheaper i3) well overclocked as AMD processors seem not to be so powerful with FSX and NVidia graphic Cards (that's what I read in most forums). I also read this tutorial http://forum.avsim.net/fsx_guide.pdf

Now the question is: Is it really worth buying a new motherboard AND an expensive Intel CPU? That would probably also mean the reinstallation of Windows and all programs.

Or do you think a new "high end" AMD CPU for half of the price on the current motherboard would do a good job too? Thougt about something like that:

http://www.alternate.de/AMD/AMD+A10-5800K_Accelerated_Processor,_CPU/html/product/1030465/

http://www.alternate.de/AMD/AMD+A10-6800K_Accelerated_Processor,_CPU/html/product/1082062/?event=search

Certainly I do not expect 30 fps in the PMDG NGX over ORBX PNW. But as an example the "hardest" aircraft for my PC is the Aerosoft Airbus X  Extended. And over ORBX England + UK2000 airports I get between 6 and 10 fps which is definitly not sufficent. I would be content with just 15 fps or more in those situations.

So what do you think: How much is an Intel CPU "needed" over an AMD with lots of GHz?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Dominik

Regards, Dominik

If you go with a newer AMD wont you have to upgrade your MB anyway? Over the yrs I have used both AMD and Intel CPU's. Up until the Sandybridge, AMD was all I used but its been my experience the Sandybridge + K series blows away the AMD's simply because they can be OC'ed with ease to high numbers. Each to their own, kinda boils down to performance or cost savings.

Before you buy a new AMD CPU, you might try overclocking your Athlon if you feel comfortable doing it. That way you would see a performance increase with no cost, and start saving for the intel conversion.  I have the 965BE that is overclocked to 4.2 and while it doesnt allow me to put all the sliders on high, I can still run with decent frame rates, and very little stuttering even with complex aircraft and scenery.  Overclocking will be the biggest bang for the buck.  CPU frquency does make a difference with FSX.

Well, I think Intel CPU's do have the advantage over AMD processors, but by how much I do not know.  I do know that 3 GHz CPU speed is a bit low for FSX.  FSX is a CPU hungry program, so I would suggest that your next step be to overclock your CPU. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Doesn't look like your board is compatible with AMD FX CPUs:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASRock/M3A770DE.html

I recently upgraded from a Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7 GHz to an Intel i7 4770K.

For example, over OrbX Anacortes, my FPS increased from 8-9 FPS to 23 - 25 FPS with the same settings and the same video card (GTX 460 1GB). With the i7 overclocked, the increase is even greater.

FSX/Prepar3D just love single-threaded performance, high IPC and high clock speeds, making Intel the only logical choice.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

First of all, thanks a lot for your quick and useful replies!

Doesn't look like your board is compatible with AMD FX CPUs:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASRock/M3A770DE.html

I recently upgraded from a Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7 GHz to an Intel i7 4770K.

For example, over OrbX Anacortes, my FPS increased from 8-9 FPS to 23 - 25 FPS with the same settings and the same video card (GTX 460 1GB). With the i7 overclocked, the increase is even greater.

FSX/Prepar3D just love single-threaded performance, high IPC and high clock speeds, making Intel the only logical choice.

Wow, that's a hell of a difference!

Didn't know a newer AMD CPU wouldn't be compatible with my MB. So far I thought anything that has an AM3 socket would work^^

OK, indeed I already tried to overclock my current CPU a bit, but only from 3.0 to 3.15 GHz because I have the default cooler installed and now the CPU temp goes up to 55°C if it's really busy. Didn't want to go higher. Apart from that this was my first experience in overclocking anything at all. ;-)

The second Problem - from my unexperienced Point of view - is that BIOS shows 1.500 V as the maximum core voltage (which I have now even exceeded a bit). Furthermore this CPU can only be overclocked by increasing the bus speed (done: from 200 to 210), not by increasing the multiplier!

So, question from a beginner in overclocking: Can a further exceeding of the voltage be dangerous for either the CPU or the MB? Or is it just a matter of how well the CPU is cooled??

Seems it would be logical to try and overclock my current CPU further (with a new cooling system) while saving money and wait for good times to buy a new MB along with an Intel i5 or i7...

Regards

Regards, Dominik

Yeah, I was very impressed with the improvement. I was expecting something in the neighborhood of twice the frame rate, but it's more like 2.5 - 3x.

1.5V is insanely high. I wouldn't recommend going above 1.3V for regular use. Don't remember what I used for 3.7 GHz on my 955 (3.2 GHz stock), but it wasn't that high.

Without an unlocked multiplier, AMD CPUs won't overclock very well at all, though. You need a "Black Edition" with unlocked multi.

I know some shops have sales going on where you can buy an i5 4670K and a good motherboard for a low combo price. It's nearly as fast as the i7. Or you could try to find an old Phenom II X6 (Thuban) but I don't know if will be worth it. Better save up for an Intel I think.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Yes He is right, the Intel is better, I have the AMD Vishera 6300@ 4.56 Gig and it is a huge improvement over my old 1090T @ 4.1 Gig. Im happy. even get 15 to 20 FPS in YSSY with lots of AI which are a FPS killer

1.5V is insanely high. I wouldn't recommend going above 1.3V for regular use. Don't remember what I used for 3.7 GHz on my 955 (3.2 GHz stock), but it wasn't that high.

Without an unlocked multiplier, AMD CPUs won't overclock very well at all, though. You need a "Black Edition" with unlocked multi.

Strange because 1.5V was the default Setting before I changed anything. So I guess it's better to set everything back to standard before anything is damaged. Unfortunately I learned about the AMD "black editions" when I already had the current one. So I don't think it will be worth buying another AMD if I have to upgrade the MB anyway.

I'm fucussing an i5 + corresponding MB now which should be available for 300€ or less. That's still within my limits.

So I'm better flying some more GA at the small airports and leave the big ones to FS2004 for the last time until the upgrade.

@mjrhealth: Oh yes, that's definitly a frame rate killer I realized!^^

Thanks again for the help.

Regards, Dominik

I had an AMD 965 BE and I saw a big improvement when I move to an Intel 875k. I'm curious about the new AMD chips coming out later this year. They have two eight cores coming out with onne running at 4.7GHz and the other at 5GHz.

Was an ardent AMD user for years from the original Athlons to latest Phenoms and had them all overclocked to varying degrees. Overclocking is far less daunting than in years past whether on a BE Phenom or a "K" version Intel. Good motherboards (not entry level or budget) have very user friendly overclock utilities in BIOS. I prefer ASUS. Finally made the switch over to an Intel based platform and haven't looked back. Can now shoot an approach into KORD in my NGX without it turning into a slideshow. FPS is now around 25 FPS instead of 10-15 in that scenario with my old 965BE. My hardware specs are posted. Many people try to save money on a build by trying to recycle older components.A $500 upgrade vs a $1500 build sounds tempting at first but won't help you at all if it doesn't accomplish your performance goals, I know, I've been there. System balance is the key.