Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfri

What videocard to use with a new haswell build ?

I plan to build an new haswell system with 4670K (maybe 4770K). I wonder which video card is best matched to such a system ? First may I ask

what result I could expect with my current GTX650 card ? I understand that this is a very weak card but how much will I be limited by it ?

If I should buy a new card now I have come to the conclusion that it will be a GTX660. The cards above it is far to expensive right now.

What is my best bet ? Buy a GTX680 ? Or use my GTX650 and wait until prices of GTX670 falls ? Or ?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It depends on what you are attempting to achieve. 

If you are running Anti Aliasing forced through Nvidia Inspector, I recommend that you buy the >GTX660.

If you are running default Anti Aliasing in FSX, a GTX650 will suffice.  

Yeah, you might have to stay away from the highest AA modes but other than that it should be fine for FSX. With my 4770K @ 4.3 GHz, I was CPU limited even with a GTX460, which is however slightly faster than a GTX 650. It also depends on the resolution. 1680x1050 is much less stressful on the GPU than 2560x1440.

You'll definitely want to upgrade if plan to run any other games. You can find some good deals on GTX 670's now as they are being replaced by the GTX 770. I got a factory-overclocked card that's as fast as a GTX 680, for $140 less than the cheapest GTX 770. The GTX 760 is also coming out any day now and should be faster than the GTX 660 for a similar price.

It depends on what you are attempting to achieve. 

If you are running Anti Aliasing forced through Nvidia Inspector, I recommend that you buy the >GTX660.

If you are running default Anti Aliasing in FSX, a GTX650 will suffice.  

My current AA is according to KOSTAs guide,  8xS. From what I can remember FSX own AA setting does not work.

Yeah, you might have to stay away from the highest AA modes but other than that it should be fine for FSX. With my 4770K @ 4.3 GHz, I was CPU limited even with a GTX460, which is however slightly faster than a GTX 650. It also depends on the resolution. 1680x1050 is much less stressful on the GPU than 2560x1440.

What are highest modes ? I should have mentioned that I use 1920*1200 resolution.

You'll definitely want to upgrade if plan to run any other games.

I don't think I experience any performence problem in other games. But on the other hand it's possible I'm more sensitive and watch out more carefully when it comes to FSX.

My current AA is according to KOSTAs guide,  8xS. From what I can remember FSX own AA setting does not work.

1920*1200 resolution.

I would recommend the GTX660 or 670. 

I recently upgraded to an Asus Z87-k board, Haswell 4670k processor and an Nvidia Asus 660 card.

I had the ivybridge I5 before and the difference in smoothness is night and day IMO.

The NGX sits nicely at 30fps and creates and amazing experience.

I was very much surprised by how much better it was over the ivybridge in terms of smoothness and performance, having been a little dissapointed by the ivyrbridge having upgraded that from the original I7920

The 660 for the price is brilliant and give it the thumbs up with this combo for FSX.

The just released Nvidia 760 sku is what I just went with (Tech reviews and price are both good). I got the 4GB version (EVGA) because of the triple monitor setup I use. I am hoping that this will round out my 4770K build that I am finishing up with a good performance upgrade compared to my current PC.