Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Wait for occulus rift or get TrackIR 5?

I was about to get the TrackIR 5 to use with FSX and X-Plane 10, but with the news about the upcoming occulus rift VR glasses, I'm not so sure anymore. What are your opinions on this? The VR glasses sound like it would totally make the flight simming experience very immersive and thats what is sparking my interest the most. Not sure how well it will work with flight sims but it certainly sounds like cool technology to get yourself "inside" the game and actually feel as though you're there.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I'm not a big fan of wearing "stuff" on me while I'm on my computer (Headset and that's it). So, I recommend TrackIR. Not only because the Pro Clip is small and attaches to your headset, but also because the software is fantastic. You can program any key to center your "head", and to turn off the camera. It also has some presets for MANY games (FSX is there), or you can also use a premade configuration that someone else has made. (I recommend Seth's or Stephen's profile)

The OcculusRift might be a great device to increase immersion. If it lives up to expectations it might be on of the "must have" hardware add ons.

However, there is one huge problem with this device which makes it (almost) totally useless with serious flightsims: it only works if all you rely on is the in-game cockpit.

You can't see secondary monitors with flightplans/utilities/weathermap, you can't see a tablet next to your desk, you can't see the throttle quadrant or Saitek panels etc. These all must be operated by feel.

Even if you don't use any of that stuff it's problematic: it's great for looking around in the cockpit but actually operating any of the virtual knobs and levers is more difficult. That's also true if you are using TrackIR but at least you can operate a physical keyboard to make things work.

It might be great fun for aircraft like the Piper Cub or a sailplane though.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I read a blog post yesterday where one of the "experimenters" has added a web cam to his OR headset. The downside to that is that it's an "either-or" solution, and still requires keystrokes or a dedicated "button" to switch from one to the other.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Speaking just for myself, I think a fair compromise might be to build something along the lines of 3d glasses rather than fully enclosed goggles. That would allow the occasional peek under the glasses. It would reduce the immersion somewhat, but still be an improvement. I personally don't use periferals like switch boxes or secondary monitors, so all I'd need is the occasional peek at the keyboard and to be able to find my coffee cup.

Use stereo 3d land track ir combo still drink da coffee or beer. 24 fps will deter some hope 4k 3d can slove it