Sign in to follow this  
Q_flyer

What is causing this weird graphics anomoly? (DX10?)

Hey all,

I've just started getting this horrible graphics anomoly, on every flight (I am flying in FTXG here, near Dar Es Salaam, in Africa) :-

I switched to DX10 a few days ago, (with all fixes applied) but had no problems initially ....... this just started today.

Any clues ?

56565620.jpg

I'm using a i7 2600k on Win 7 64 bit, and a ATI 7850 2GB card.

FTXG / DX10 / SweetFX is in use here - but it's also happening with SweetFX OFF too, so don't think thats to blame.

Thanks in advance

I'm going to stay tuned into this post. I do NOT use DX10 however just added orbx ftx global and this started happening to me whenever I pan around.

My sim is acting weird I think maybe a payware sever is messing with Our sim right now but not sure - this does happen but not often.

Rich Sennett

I don't know for sure...new video drivers?   Bufferpools issue?

I actually run nvidia 296.10 which is very stable for my GTX260 1Mb card.  My computer upgraded my drivers automatically and I started having artifacts all over the place...rolling back the driver to older ones works perfectly on my system.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I'd bet on SweetFX, I don't use it, but I've seen other's post similar issues with it.  I think Paul (DX10 forum) knows more about SweetFX usage with DX10 and how to truly disable it.

Rob

Hey all,

I've just started getting this horrible graphics anomoly, on every flight (I am flying in FTXG here, near Dar Es Salaam, in Africa) :-

I switched to DX10 a few days ago, (with all fixes applied) but had no problems initially ....... this just started today.

Any clues ?

Hi Dave, what does it look like when you fly past it? Do the spikes stay stationary, or are they moving/changing shape, getting longer/shorter?

At first sight it looks like artifacting, what can be caused by overstressing the GPU with info. The bufferpool=0 might cause this, so if you use bp=0 then you could try:

BufferPools=1

PoolSize=10485760  //8388608   // 20971520 20M //5242880 5M //10485760 10M

RejectThreshold=262144  //262144 // 786432  //1048576  //262144 //  131072

instead. With these settings you probably won't even notice a difference in performance, but it will stop artifacting.

I have never seen this, so i'm just guessing here. I doubt it's a DX10 thing  -BUT- graphic anomalies can happen sooner, because more load is transferred to the GPU from the CPU than with DX9.

this defect is usually given for not being able to load all the textures, if the FPS limited value unless you've got that disappears, I have the same problem and also I have ATI.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Regarding SweetFX as I said, this is happening even with SweetFX fully uninstalled, so I don't think it's to blame.

Mork's suggestions about [buffer Pools] sound very logical.  Although I am not using Bufferpools=0 with DX10 (I was with DX9).  

I have the same PoolSize that you suggested there Mork (10485760), but I notice that my Refect Threshold is currently 524288 (it was recommended in the DX10 "How To" guide).

I'll try your suggested value of 262144 and report back.

Thanks!

Follow up:

Ok, I have completely resolved this anomoly on my system.  Contrary to what I said above, SweetFX definitely seems to be the cause of the artifacts on my system.    Changing the Buffer Pools numbers didn't resolve things, but when I looked further into uninstalling SweetFX, I realized that I had only uninstalled the settings and injector files, and hadn't removed the DLL files.

When I removed all traces of the SweetFX files, I stopped getting any of these graphical anomolies. 

I've just launched 5 different instances of FSX, at graphics intensive locations, and at all the points where I had been seeing the anomolies and never got one single instance of the problem.

So for me, my SweetFX days are over. :smile:

To be honest, although the frame rate hit was smaller, I wasn't one bit impressed with the graphics 'improvements' that SweetFX gave. The Bloom was either too harsh or too mild, the HDR just seemed to work on the lower (darkening) end, and the LumaSharpen effect (which is what I value most in these tools; especially the ENB variant of this) just went from 'hardly noticeable' to 'very grainy'. T

Those are just my findings.   I tried to love SweetFX, but it just could not come close to replacing the gorgeous stunning ENB settings that I had in DX9 (that I still miss!)*

*I miss the ENB settings, not DX9 !   :lol:

The lower RT is because i think (! - I'm no expert) it's the next best thing to bp=0. Because of such a low threshold, most things will still be fired at the GPU directly without buffering. Of course there is an even lower setting, but then you can probably also use bp=0.

I normally use  bp=0, so these settings aren't really tested by me yet either.

About SweetFX:

I had a rather weird anomaly also, my yellow showed up flashing with black stripes. Mostly noticeable on taxi signs and some knobs on panels.

It turned out to be lunasharpning (if I remember correctly). Without that effect my display is fine again. So if you still want to give it a try, you can try different settings in runtime in FSX, so you see the results instantly. It might be caused by a single effect giving you this glitch.

If you need some help with that, let me know.

Edit: Oh wait, you already tried without any settings! Sorry.

Then I think it's not going to work probably.

"I do not have very good things to say about visual rendering utilities that adds DLLs to the FSX directory to alter colors tones and shadows other than they may be great for advertising and screenshots so lets get that said strait up-front. Those tools are widely used for the marketing of addon products so the addon looks far better in marketing than it really does in-sim. If you wish to add those things to your sim do not add them when using this outline and setting up FSX. Items like that add overhead and 'wild cards' to the render and that is the last thing you want when setting up and tuning FSX. If you are going to demand their use, then add them in later and if you start seeing issues appear after adding them to your sim, get them out of the install as many times they are the problem and you simply refuse to believe they are or have not realized it. "  The Bible Nick N

Yea, it's a bonus when you have a working setup. Without it I find FSX rather 'pale', like there is a thin white haze overlay. With SweetFX it looks darker (also with Shade) and has more vivid colors.

It probably comes with a cost, but I like it and I think my videocard can take it.

Just to chime in here. The issue here isnt one particular piece of software but rather your system is being over taxed causing the artifacts you see. You can see this in any 3d graphic game once you go beyond a certain limit.

You will either want to turn things down or revert some things. You mention dx10 which means your 3d card automatically is under more stress and it looks like you just pushed it that tiny bit off the cliff to cause the issues. It can only take one drip to make a full bucket over flow- thats the best way to think of this stuff. Drivers can also play a part in directing better the use of the hardware under applications

Lewis - A2A Simulations

"I do not have very good things to say about visual rendering utilities that adds DLLs to the FSX directory to alter colors tones and shadows other than they may be great for advertising and screenshots so lets get that said strait up-front. Those tools are widely used for the marketing of addon products so the addon looks far better in marketing than it really does in-sim. If you wish to add those things to your sim do not add them when using this outline and setting up FSX. Items like that add overhead and 'wild cards' to the render and that is the last thing you want when setting up and tuning FSX. If you are going to demand their use, then add them in later and if you start seeing issues appear after adding them to your sim, get them out of the install as many times they are the problem and you simply refuse to believe they are or have not realized it. "  The Bible Nick N

No disrespect, but I hold no credence to that "Bible" whatsoever.

ENB in DX9 never gave me one issue, ever, and gave me a visual sim that I was absolutely delighted with.  To me, it was FS11.... I'm not using it now purely because I've chosen the performance benefits of DX10 and ENB does not work with DX10.

So if I followed Nick's "Biblical Words" I 'shouldn't' be using ENB due to the above 'commandment'....... despite it vastly improving my experience and enjoyment.

I'm not one for following prophets......  but I do listen to what my fellow users are doing, what they've found from their journey with FSX, and what they recommend.

Neither Nick nor Word Not Allowed's "Bibles" added anything to my experience.       Just saying.

Thanks for all the help to the other guys on this thread.  This issue is now reolved, and I'm delighted about that. :smile:

Cheers.

+1 Dave.  :Hug: 

though I do like parts of Sweet, but never found ENB to be sufficiently "user-friendly" enough that I could get it where i liked it. 

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.