Sign in to follow this  
EGLL77W

No time for sleeping...

Haha - yeah, me too.  I actually used the search feature within the Dropbox app (which just uses a light, built in Adobe Reader program if I'm not mistaken).  The iPad really wasn't designed to have to search through huge docs like that, so it's understandable.

And I'm not sure what CASA's take is, but I know the FAA doesn't mind electronic.  It actually doesn't state what format it needs to be, but paper's always a nice backup.  My paper chart hasn't run out of batteries yet...

IIRC, I think they have only given OzRunways approval under CAR 233(1)(h) [so OzRunways are now an approved data provider, even though I could get the charts they use straight from our ATS provider and put them on Goodreader, CASA don't like this and seem to love to make pilots cough up as much dough as possible]. Unfortunately, I happened to buy a subscription for a competitor companies app for 2 years and therefore am technically not operating in line with the Civil Aviation Regulations..

Probably abit off-topic, but what app do you recommend for flying in the US, preferably with geo-referenced sectionals, terminal charts etc. I am planning on heading to OSH2014 (Yes an aussie flying into OSH probably wont end well!) and am looking for an app which will provide these features.

And I'm not sure what CASA's take is, but I know the FAA doesn't mind electronic. It actually doesn't state what format it needs to be, but paper's always a nice backup. My paper chart hasn't run out of batteries yet...

Indeed - If I were still actively flying I'd certainly be using my iPad as my primary chart tool, but there's no way I'd not have paper backup.  This was brought home to me last night when my sim chart app, FS Kneeboard, failed (not its fault, it was due to a network glitch) and I couldn't switch sectionals from Cheyenne to Denver on a VFR flight from KGXY (Greeley, CO) to KCNY (Moab, UT).  I know this route intimately IRL (and was using MS Earth v2 scenery so the scenery was accurate) so I had no trouble completing the flight, but it felt very uncomfortable even for a VFR sim flight to suddenly be completely chart-less.

Scott

Probably abit off-topic, but what app do you recommend for flying in the US, preferably with geo-referenced sectionals, terminal charts etc. I am planning on heading to OSH2014 (Yes an aussie flying into OSH probably wont end well!) and am looking for an app which will provide these features.

I use WingX 7 on my iPad for all my GA flying. I love it. Has moving maps and a lot of other stuff. Check it out.

Love the realism but it scares me a little the thought of taking a rest and returning to find the cockpit alight with red warnings :). Definitely keeps you on your toes.

I use ForeFlight with a Garmin GLO for aviation (my iPad is wireless only so it didn't come with a built in GPS receiver).

I've reviewed both ForeFlight against Garmin Pilot, and the Garmin GLO against the Dual XGPS 150A, if you want to read for yourself.

...and CloudAhoy while you're at it.

Kyle Rodgers

Fore Flight here, great app.

Jeff Hendershot
"Roger, Roger...What's Our Vector, Victor?"

You have an option in settings to change it automatically to CRZ or CLB - most airlines use CLB. Not sure about you - but I'd rather the AT have all available thrust throughout the trip, rather than reduced.

Thanks for your reply Luke, I didn't know most airlines use CLB limit throughout the trip. Thanks for all your hard work in the forums too really enjoying the pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So OzRunways are now an approved data provider

OzRunways is a pretty good app, I like the layout and features a lot.

CASA ... seem to love to make pilots cough up as much dough as possible

Never a truer word spoken!!

OzRunways is a pretty good app, I like the layout and features a lot.

Never a truer word spoken!!

On that note, my ASIC renewal letter came the other day...and they have upped the price AGAIN (Yes, they did it last year, and they have done it again). Yet their processing times are still as slow as a wet week.

Yet their processing times are still as slow as a wet week.

Tell me about it!