Sign in to follow this  
3Green

Lufthansa Cargo MD-11 landing at Shanghai Pudong

Cool video of young pilot landing an MD-11 at Shanghai Pudong.
Gone are the paper charts....  Paper whats that...  :huh:

RJ

Pretty cool video, thanks for sharing.

Enrique Vaamonde

Well it looks like it's time for me to dust off the pmdg md-11! Thanks for sharing it was quite enjoyable to watch.

One thing I noticed is that the pilot flying kept scanning out the window, then down to the PFD to monitor the airspeed, then back out the window...

...about four seconds outside, two seconds PFD, rinse and repeat until the last fifteen seconds or so.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

One thing I noticed is that the pilot flying kept scanning out the window, then down to the PFD to monitor the airspeed, then back out the window...

...about four seconds outside, two seconds PFD, rinse and repeat until the last fifteen seconds or so.

Reminds me of my workcycle;

AAA

Aimpoint

Aspect

Airspeed

About a 8 second work cycle, with two thirds dedicated to looking outside.

Reminds me of my workcycle;

AAA

Aimpoint

Aspect

Airspeed

About a 8 second work cycle, with two thirds dedicated to looking outside.

That's one I'd not heard before, but it is quite apt. Pity the crew of the 737 that crashed at SFO last month apparently fixated on the Aspect, and then even failed to really process that information...

Fr. Bill    

That's one I'd not heard before, but it is quite apt. Pity the crew of the 737 that crashed at SFO last month apparently fixated on the Aspect, and then even failed to really process that information...

Picked up during my time at Flight Screening for the Australian Defence Force..They really knuckle down on attitude flying instead of performance flying (pretty much 90% of time is with your eyes looking out. All maneuevers such as turns, wingovers are based on visual features inside/outside the cockpit. An example would be for a 90kt cruise, setting 18-20" MAP, 2600RPM and locking the magnetic compass on the horizon).

Crew probably also failed to remember that on final, POWER controls AIRSPEED, ATTITUDE controls ROD (or Aimpoint). In the end, PERFORMANCE = ATTITUDE + POWER, so you can't take both away and expect to land on the TDZ.

Yeah, cool video. Also the camera position is briliant. 

Luke shared once a 777 landing video at Dubai or Doha with this perspective. (Can't find it anymore...)

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

Nice observation Bill.  The scan is so important as James pointed out (AAA) even during VFR.  Very sad the crew of that 777 at SFO lost situational awareness. 

I still prefer Boeing's concept to keep the yoke and throttle system as is, however the crew at SFO failed there (lack of training maybe?).  With Boeing's classic yoke style, both pilots can very quickly see the state at which the other pilot has moved/placed it.  Same goes for the throttles.  Use the throttle asm as a arm rest.  It aids in situational awareness (allows you to feel the auto throttle move, if you're using it).  Unfortunately, if you don't have the training or experience to use these simple techniques, you can quickly be caught up in the automation dependency thing.

Here's a perfect example how to use the throttle as a arm rest, to aid in auto throttle situation awareness during landing.

RJ

he was enjoying the FTXG Textures :lol:

Nice observation Bill.  The scan is so important as James pointed out (AAA) even during VFR.  Very sad the crew of that 777 at SFO lost situational awareness.

There's one thing to note of particular importance. He did not move his head even a trifle; only his eyes dropped down to glance quickly at the airspeed, and the glideslope/CDI pointers.

Fr. Bill