Sign in to follow this  
dravid kenyala

Go around, crabbing, crosswind landing, side slip techniques tutorial in video.

Hi. Similar to all others I am also waiting for T7. Can anyone from beta testers come with above requested procedures? And also use of moving aileron towards crosswind and its compensating rudder deflection in opposite direction inorder to prevent S turn on runway. I mean how and when at what reference we have to start doing it? If I asked more then I'm really sorry and if it is already discussed and shown u can give me the link. Thank you.

Don't think I've ever seen a 777 side slip on approach. Crab it all the way to touchdown you'll be fine - unlike in my PA28  :lol: Then once main gear is down swing her center! I've not tried kicking in the rudder just before touchdown in the 777. However I found first way is fine for me.

In crosswind approaches on the ILS/RNAV etc, the easiest technique I've found is keep the track (on ND) lined up with the runway centerline. That's also what the FD should be asking you to maintain since it does the same thing with the AP on.

Go around: TOGA (follow FD's instructions whilst doing the rest) - Flaps 20 (make sure you have a shortcut on joystick or something!) - positive rate of climb, gear up - climb to MAA/Fly the missed procedure or as ATC ask. After flaps 20 to me, it's like a takeoff really. 

Practice makes perfect  ^_^ I'd do a video but after the complaints elsewhere about my frames and people spreading the word about its awful frames (which it doesn't have) - I think I'll give it a miss. 

Don't think I've ever seen a 777 side slip on approach. Crab it all the way to touchdown you'll be fine - unlike in my PA28   Then once main gear is down swing her center! I've not tried kicking in the rudder just before touchdown in the 777. However I found first way is fine for me.

You really should kick the rudder right before you touch down, or else you'll put a huge side load on the gear.

You really should kick the rudder right before you touch down, or else you'll put a huge side load on the gear.

777 can take it fine and it's how I see most x-wind landings done in it. See first clip and 1:45: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-hSjKP2TU

777 can take it fine and it's how I see most x-wind landings done in it. See first clip and 1:45: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-hSjKP2TU

He didn't land in a crab though, he kicked the rudder right before he touched down, that was a textbook x-wind landing. If you land in a crab you'll get the effect the first  guy had and slide all over the runway. 

He didn't land in a crab though, he kicked the rudder right before he touched down, that was a textbook x-wind landing. If you land in a crab you'll get the effect the first  guy had and slide all over the runway. 

Still pretty much all of them landed on right side of runway and then steered back to center-line. If x-wind was perfectly compensated by rudder it would be other way around. Just before touchdown be on left side and wait until wind shift you to center-line of runway.

Still pretty much all of them land on right side of runway and then steered back to center-line.

Your supposed to land center line though your not supposed to land to the right. Clearly the wind is incredibly strong in the video.

Still pretty much all of them land on right side of runway and then steered back to center-line.

While they do touchdown still at a crap in most of those landings, all the ones that stabilize immediately kick the rudder just before touchdown. You can see the rudder move way over before they touchdown, and then the plane almost immediately stabilizes. In the first one, you don't see the rudder get kicked, and as a result, they slid back and forth several times. You can also see there are a couple in that video that kicked the rudder too soon and had to kick it again right before the actual touchdown. I have to agree with Adam on this one.

I have a question; Can FSX even simulate weather and flight dynamics in a manner that makes any of this necesary? I can't ever say I've seen FS crosswind landings anywhere near as heart-pumpingly intense as the landings in this video. The aircraft in the sim always seem to move so rigidly, like it's on an invisible rail. I can't imagine "fighting to stay wings level" like the pilot did in the following video:

Can FS even simulate that type of flight dynamics and WX?

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

"fighting to stay wings level"

I may be wrong but I think the "fighting to stay wings level" is actually him over compensating aileron in an "oh ######" moment, and that keeps getting worse and worse until complete lift is lost and things settle down.  

The FSX will always have the "Soap over the runway" effect, there's a tweak for that, but PMDG doesn't support it, so using it would make all the calculations go nuts. That's why in FS we can land with a hell of a crab without kicking the rudder and nothing happens.

Alexis Mefano

Don't think I've ever seen a 777 side slip on approach. Crab it all the way to touchdown you'll be fine - unlike in my PA28 :lol: Then once main gear is down swing her center! I've not tried kicking in the rudder just before touchdown in the 777. However I found first way is fine for me.

In crosswind approaches on the ILS/RNAV etc, the easiest technique I've found is keep the track (on ND) lined up with the runway centerline. That's also what the FD should be asking you to maintain since it does the same thing with the AP on.

Go around: TOGA (follow FD's instructions whilst doing the rest) - Flaps 20 (make sure you have a shortcut on joystick or something!) - positive rate of climb, gear up - climb to MAA/Fly the missed procedure or as ATC ask. After flaps 20 to me, it's like a takeoff really.

Practice makes perfect ^_^ I'd do a video but after the complaints elsewhere about my frames and people spreading the word about its awful frames (which it doesn't have) - I think I'll give it a miss.

Thanks Luke. About framerates, people complaining will know about it when they bought and start playing it. By the way I haven't seen that much of effect on framerates. Just a couple of questions? In fsx keeping the plane at wings level and at exactly middle of artificial horizon, plane starts to descend. Is it the same case in real world or they just hold at the altitude when we keep the plane in centre of artificial horizon?

Suppose we r a bit low on our glideslope and instead of missed approach if we maintain the altitude until PAPI lights are ideal or glideslope is achieved correctly does the plane maintain its altitude if we maintain centre of artificial horizon or we have to keep a little higher noseup?

In real world while taking off does the pilot need to move the rudder always to keep it centerline even in crosswinds or as the plane is of that much huge weight can go straight on the centreline once we lined up?

thankyou all once again for your video links and suggestions.

Fsx can simulate it, remember the NGX preview video with a very dodgy crosswind landing. Actually, the majority of videos from fsx have poor centreline tracking, even in calm weather.

-Iain Watson-