Sign in to follow this  
jd

Is there a simple add-on to replace the default ATC?

Guest cliff

I'd like to be guided to my destination airport with the correct height instructions; something the default FS9 ATC doesn't offer as I frequently arrive way too high to land. I'm therefore wondering if there is a simple add-on that would serve this purpose. Anybody know of one worth trying?Cliff

Possible solutions:1. Use one of the online ATC services like VATSIM2. Fly VFR and make your own flight plan using VFR charts and traffic area rules so you plan your own descent based on speed/distance/altitude3. Fly IFR but use the initial approach fixes on your approach plate rather than vectors to final, then follow the approach plate altitudes as writtenThe default ATC will look at the aircraft.cfg file for cruise airspeed and autopilot default climb/descent rates to make altitude assignments so if you are flying faster/slower and/or using climb/descent rates different from these values you won't be where the computer expects you to be. The better payware and default aircraft have numbers in this file that aren't too far off for most flying... many freeware offerings are all over the place in this regard. If there is a specific aircraft giving you difficulty look at the cfg file and make adjustments as necessary to match your flying.Hope this helps,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Cliff,Radar Contact is made for you. Click on my signature icon below to take you to the RC website where you can find out all you need to know. We're currently testing version 4 - version 3.1 is the current version. You'll be amazed how much better RC is than the default ATC. I speak as a tester only with no financial involvement.You can also ask questions on the Radar Contact Forum in the Commercial Support sector on AvSim.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke, Fulcrum TQ (pre-production).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Captain Barfbag

In the meantime, slow down. If your airspeed is too high, you will cover too much ground during your descent, and you will arrive at the airport without getting down to pattern altitude. I try to get my airspeed down under 300 kts IAS as soon as I begin my descent (assuming jets here), and then get down below 250 once I'm below 10,000 feet. Somewhere in the 200 range is more appropriate as you approach pattern altitude.

Guest ba747heavy

VATSIM. Best answer you can hope for :)

Guest cliff

Thanks for the info Ray. I tried using Radar Contact in FS2002 but that was some while back and I must therfore try to upgrade to version 3.1 before I can try it with FS9.Thanks again for reminding me about Radar Contact.Regards,Cliff

Guest cliff

Zane I'm intrigued by learning that there is an online ATC service at Avsim.I've tried to locate it to find out more but so far without success.I would be gratefu if you would point me in the right direction as this interests to me.Regards,Cliff

>Possible solutions:>The default ATC will look at the aircraft.cfg file for cruise>airspeed and autopilot default climb/descent rates to make>altitude assignments so if you are flying faster/slower and/or>using climb/descent rates different from these values you>won't be where the computer expects you to be. The better>payware and default aircraft have numbers in this file that>aren't too far off for most flying... many freeware offerings>are all over the place in this regard. If there is a specific>aircraft giving you difficulty look at the cfg file and make>adjustments as necessary to match your flying.THIS is an interesting thought! The aircraft.cfg has an entry that determines the default climb/descent rates used by the autopilot -- and then the computer also uses this figure to determine when to tell you to descend. BUT , if you fly the a/c by hand and don't use the a/p , then you could get yourself into a situation where it "appears" that ATC have delayed your descend point until too late. This is probably not so if you are using the A/P -- have a try of flying without using the a/p and lower the descend rate figure in the aircraft.cfg file to something very low and see how it affects the point at which ATC tells you to descend.Barry

Guest Kingair315

My solution has been to use FSNav... File a flight plan, but when ATC transfers me to the next Center, I dont call them. Fly the flight plan until within about 100-200 miles of the destination, then call. They then continue control, vectoring me to the field. This way if I want to fly thought the mountain passes or do whatever I desire, am free to do so. You can have FSNav control as much as you want of your flight. Follow the plan, Headings or Altitudes, and change Frequencies, etc.. You can set options to manually control Altitudes, and Headings if you wish. Then follow ATC when you want.

Guest cliff

I would be lost(in both senses of the word) without FSNav so your solution sounds great.Thanks for the idea.Regards,Cliff

Radar Contact 3.1 uses the max terrain height from current and adjacent quads during approach to determine your altitudes in the final approach phase. The AGL clearance is an option you can set. The approaches are step downs. The descent rate and airspeed to meet these crossing restrictions is up to you with max IAS pattern and altitude limits.Note that Radar Contact has a NOTAMS option for arrival which allows deviation without much controller nagging. I have the approach plates and STARS for most of where I fly so if RC is too high I follow the plates.3.1 is a major improvement over 3.0. See the topic pinned to the top on the support forum here on AVSIM.The advantage of RC over on-line ATC, which in itself is very good, is the freedom of not having outside scheduling and remaining online for the entire flight.

Hello Cliff,I did not say that there is an online ATC service at Avsim. I did however suggest looking into online ATC services such as VATSIM, you can check their site out at: www.vatsim.netVATSIM is probably the most widely used therefore the best chance of having at least the region you are interested in flying being manned and having traffic.Personally I haven't tried out any of the online services because of time problems. My flying is limited to an hour or a little more after work in the midst of honeydoes and raising our baby girl, in other words I have to hit the pause button frequently and that wouldn't be any fun for an online service.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

>VATSIM. Best answer you can hope for :)When they have controllers online - If you are not flying in Continental USA - forget it.Andy b

Simply use the SIMPLEST approach.Request a change of altitude while you're around 100 nm out from your FAF. That way, you can "step down" your altitude more reasonably! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator