Sign in to follow this  
ShawnG

Reality XP... somebody convince me

Ok,  I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket, and rather than spending it on my family's future well being, I think I'm going to  throw it down on some Flightsim software.  Nothing new there.

I have been looking long and hard at RealityXP, and my only real information prior to today was listening to people on flightsim sites raving about it, and demanding integration for it from aircraft developers.  I would like a nice realistic GPS, and it apparently integrates nicely with the new A2A 172 which I have.  All sorts of other aircraft in my hanger claim various levels of compatibility too, and to be honest I don't even mind using it as a popup on some aircraft.  Lets further assume for the sake of argument, that these are some of the finest GPS units to ever fly in flightsim (which it seems to be by the commentary)

All was well, until I got out my credit card and went to the site.  My main issue, is I have lots of aircraft where the 530 would be the best fit, and I have lots of aircraft where the 430 would be the best fit, and I have a few aircraft where they could work well in combo.  the price for the 530 is 50 bucks. the price for the 430 is 50 bucks.  Oh, and for another hundred simoleans they can sell me a package (worth the price of both units together) where the units will <gasp> work together!  so that's potentially TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS to achieve what I'm potentially looking for.  

Am I really the only one who has a problem with this?  Or am I missing something really basic?  What makes it even harder to swallow for me, is that the two GPS units appear to have the exact same underlying software package, and differ only in the GUI.  Don't get me wrong, I am willing to pay some money for a GUI, I understand how much work goes into a GUI,  but if the underlying software is the same, I don't really want to pay for the same system twice.

So, is it worth it?  is there some sort of package deal available that I'm not seeing?  Do you think I'm the idiot?  If I only get one, which should I get?  It seems to be a pain to configure for some aircraft as well, is it?  willing to hear arguments either direction.

Stupid question probably but why not save the money and just add the default FSX GPS to your plane?

Jay

It's already there.  RealityXP has lots of features not found in the default,  such as Navaid info, SID's and STAR's, Integrated flight planning,  Integrated radio stuff and an autopilot that can fly curved approaches.  I am not a novice user, I can and have added the default GPS to many planes, I'm just looking for something better,  not apparently for two hundered dollars though...

I'd wait a bit longer Mindstar are bringing a version out in the near future that costs $50 for all of the above.

Cheers, Andy.

"listening to people on flightsim sites raving about it, and demanding integration for it from aircraft developers"

I sense you are about to purchase the "whole" package.

You will not, IMO, be disappointed.

You will have the right combination for what you want to fly.

But, for what works with what ... check with each aircraft developer first to see if what you want (eg VC cockpit integration) is possible.

I'd wait a bit longer Mindstar are bringing a version out in the near future that costs $50 for all of the above.

Do they charge a "fee" / subscription / yearly  .. like for the database ... I seem to recall?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Yes they will, according to the thread on here that was discussing the subject, which is something RealityXP do not provide, nor any kind of tech support either these days it seems.

Cheers, Andy.

If that's the case then would say wait as although I have the full suite and its feature complete due to running the Garmin trainers underneath the disappearance of the developer plus the fact one cannot update the airac past 1106 (iirc) means that if someone came along with an alternative would recommend that instead.

interesting,  thanks for HU on mindstar.  it's settled then.  I'll wait,  buy the dash8 (that was plan B  )  Didn't know about RXP's developer being AWOL,  that's sort of put the big old hold on the whole thing in my mind.

It's a shame, RXP looks really really good, and I'm sure it is.  If the Mindstar thing doesn't work out maybe I'll be back to it, but too many warning bells were going off.

thanks, guys

There is no alternative for RXP at the moment. You will not be disappointed, that's for sure. However, think about which version to buy before you buy or you might end up with a version that you can't use in the VC of the Aircraft of your choice. Also, the nav database is old, you can only update it to a version from 2011 using the Garmin Trainer. 

Cheers

Yes they will, according to the thread on here that was discussing the subject, which is something RealityXP do not provide, nor any kind of tech support either these days it seems.

In July I seen a post by Todd ... the Mindstar was expected to be released about then.

He mentioned WAAS is not modeled yet, but they tell me it will be later this year.

At that time I could not find out (internet) any more information on when it would be released or what functions NAV/WAAS/LPV etc) would be in the released version.

Have you seen any newly released info on the unit?

... will it be for FS9.FSX/P3d?

Best Regards,

Didn't know about RXP's developer being AWOL,  that's sort of put the big old hold on the whole thing in my mind.

Yep!  I've been waiting 3+ weeks for a reply to a question.  I bought the GA T-Stack and was thinking of getting t the Analogue Navigation guages, but now I'm glad that I waited.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Yep!  I've been waiting 3+ weeks for a reply to a question.  I bought the GA T-Stack and was thinking of getting t the Analogue Navigation guages, but now I'm glad that I waited.

Ernie

So far I have been lucky.

I have never had to submit a support question via the official tech support (ticket) system.

But, all of my questions have been answered on the forum by other members.

Best Regards,

In July I seen a post by Todd ... the Mindstar was expected to be released about then.

He mentioned WAAS is not modeled yet, but they tell me it will be later this year.

At that time I could not find out (internet) any more information on when it would be released or what functions NAV/WAAS/LPV etc) would be in the released version.

Have you seen any newly released info on the unit?

... will it be for FS9.FSX/P3d?

Sorry Vaughan no I haven't, its not something I really need at this time as I own the whole 530 setup and Unlimited pack from RealityXP, so I'd not really paid that much attention to the Mindstar gauges.

Cheers, Andy.

Andy,

Ok,

Thanks for the follow up.

Best Regards,

If that's the case then would say wait as although I have the full suite and its feature complete due to running the Garmin trainers underneath the disappearance of the developer plus the fact one cannot update the airac past 1106 (iirc) means that if someone came along with an alternative would recommend that instead.

PM Me 

Also I wouldn't spend the 100 bucks on the unlimited.  You basically get crossfill so the flight plan from the 530 will fill into the 430 etc.  That's overkill for FSX imho.  You can still use both in the VC at the same time.  I use the 530 first page for my FP and 430 third page for terrain display.

I initially bought the 430 because it worked in more planes (and fit in more panels at the time of say Carenado's simple flat VC panels).  More recently I bought the 530w and am glad I did.  It has a VOR identifier (no need for morse code) and shows radial from (or course to I can't recal).  I think it also has aural TAWS or something like TAWS.

You need to count your addons and see which planes will accept which units- come back here if youre unsure.

RE Mindstar.... meh... I'm not thinking it will operate like the RXP one or look like it but I cannot be sure.  Ya the RXP dev is out of the picture but 99% of the help can be found on the forums and Bert Pieke is really good with the unit and I usually am too.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |