Sign in to follow this  
ShawnG

Reality XP... somebody convince me

There is no comparison between the Reality XP, running over the real Garmin software, and the default.  It's as good as it gets there.  The question of is it worth it?  I would recommend that you start off by buying just one of them, either the 430 or the 530, and stick it in something like the Duke.  Only then decide if you want the other (+50) and the Unlimited (+100).  Buying at least one I think is a pretty safe bet.  That extra $100 for Unlimited gives you the ability to transfer a hypothetical flight plan to the active GPS, and not too much more, but it will provide the sensation that you have more realism at your fingertips even when you aren't taking advantage of the extra capability, and I think there is something to be said for that. 

I have the 530 and the 430, but not Unlimited, and am quite happy.  You can put both units in the same plane (if the VC has the space/layout), but  you can't put two of the 530 or two of the 430 in the same plane.  I typically set my 530 to NAV/COM1 and the 430 to NAV/COM2.  With the two units installed in the same plane, you get quite a lot of flexibility.  Not bad for $100.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

There is no comparison between the Reality XP, running over the real Garmin software, and the default.  It's as good as it gets there.  The question of is it worth it?  I would recommend that you start off by buying just one of them, either the 430 or the 530, and stick it in something like the Duke.  Only then decide if you want the other (+50) and the Unlimited (+100).  Buying at least one I think is a pretty safe bet.  That extra $100 for Unlimited gives you the ability to transfer a hypothetical flight plan to the active GPS, and not too much more, but it will provide the sensation that you have more realism at your fingertips even when you aren't taking advantage of the extra capability, and I think there is something to be said for that. 

+1

Also, I have not seen any photos from Mindstar about a 530, and their G1000 is only in 2D mode from the photos I've seen.

-Ray

Ray the only reason the RealityXP one is 3D is because the aircraft developer built a 3D model for their aircraft, the 3D model is not supplied by RealityXP, they only supply a 2d gauge and the interface to the Garmin trainer.

Cheers, Andy.

Ray the only reason the RealityXP one is 3D is because the aircraft developer built a 3D model for their aircraft, the 3D model is not supplied by RealityXP, they only supply a 2d gauge and the interface to the Garmin trainer.

Ahh...I didn't know that. So, does that mean Mindstar will work if the developer puts in 3D? Anyone have a list of Planes for Mindstar 3D?

Thanks,

Ray

PM Me 

Also I wouldn't spend the 100 bucks on the unlimited.  You basically get crossfill so the flight plan from the 530 will fill into the 430 etc.  That's overkill for FSX imho.  You can still use both in the VC at the same time.  I use the 530 first page for my FP and 430 third page for terrain display.

I initially bought the 430 because it worked in more planes (and fit in more panels at the time of say Carenado's simple flat VC panels).  More recently I bought the 530w and am glad I did.  It has a VOR identifier (no need for morse code) and shows radial from (or course to I can't recal).  I think it also has aural TAWS or something like TAWS.

You need to count your addons and see which planes will accept which units- come back here if youre unsure.

RE Mindstar.... meh... I'm not thinking it will operate like the RXP one or look like it but I cannot be sure.  Ya the RXP dev is out of the picture but 99% of the help can be found on the forums and Bert Pieke is really good with the unit and I usually am too.

I've got a few carenado planes, most use the 430.  got a few other aircraft that use the 530.  my pref, especially If I need to use it as a popup,  would be the 530.

As I said earlier, I'm a fairly advanced user, In 8 years of flightsim, I've probably only needed official support a handful of times, not really the issue.  The issue with being AWOL, and the other stuff I'm concerned about, is that there are developers I want to have my money, and developers that I don't.  I don't know anything at all about the RealityXP guy (or guys/gals) I don't even know his/their name to be honest, but it seems the following is true:

1  developed a really good gauge which is the standard for the industry

2  does not provide support (anymore)

3  has in my opinion extortionate pricing

4  uses p3d as an excuse to charge "professional" fees for the same product.  (not a P3D user yet,  but I may be one day)

I still want the gauges, but I won't be pulling the trigger on this one, I don't think.  It doesn't really look like mindstar will have the same feature set, and even if it does, it may not have the same support from other third party developers that RXP does,  so this is on hold until I can think about it much more.  Thanks for all the replies everyone!

50 is extortionate? This product isn't for you then... Keep in mind you pay for a plane and its just one plane. This gauge will fit (natively) into a number of planes.

If you fly offline the gauges won't offer much. But for the guys like myself who fly online - they are very important, especially for RNAV approaches and updated STARS and DP's.

The thing comes in a F1 wrapper ... Which typically means a 30 day return policy.

Honestly for me and my flying style, this is one product I couldn't stand to be without. It's one of the huge reasons XP10 (x64) isn't working so well for me...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 has in my opinion extortionate pricing

Leaving aside the fact that I consider my RXP 430 & 530 to be pretty much the best value for the dollar I've ever spent in simming (as I factor in the number of planes over which I get to amortize the cost), "extortionate" is simply not an appropriate term.  RXP has no leverage with which to extort money from you.  You either feel the value is there and you buy, or you decide it's not and you don't and live without  The whole "willing buyer and willing seller" thing.  More than you're willing to pay?  Fair enough.  Extortionate?  Nope.

To the OP, I'm another who's owned both gauges for some time now.  I originally bought just the 430 (for a specific plane) and quickly realized the value and added the 530.  However, like a few others who've responded, I did not feel the "unlimited" pack to be that same good value for my $$.  Don't care that much about TCAS, and crossfill isn't much more than a "that'd be nice" feature, so I passed.  I do have a couple of planes that would support dual 430s, and that probably drove me as close to the unlimited pack as I'd ever get.

Scott

50 isn't extortionate, I was ready to spend 50.  I would be ready to spend a bit more than 50 to get the collection, and full operability (say 75-90)  What I think is out of bounds, is expecting fans to pay the same price for a second gauge which contains the exact same code as the first gauge with a different gui.  it's also a complete imbalance to ask fans to pay the same price again of BOTH gauges to have crossfill and a few other features.  perhaps extortionate isn't the right word, but nothing else to my mind carries the appropriate level of my revulsion to happening on all this information, which had me incredulous enough, and then finding out that the developer isn't even around?

what actually weirds me out the most is that I have seen flame wars on here of epic proportions for much more minor infractions of customer gouging, but I don't remember any about RXP.   It MUST be an awesome GPS, I guess.  Look, if you guys like it, more power to you.  I won't try to sour the soup any more,  I really wasn't trying to be a troll with this post, I may end up buying it at some point,but maybe I'll see what else comes around.  Thanks again

It's powered by the Garmin trainers which run as processes outside of FSX and that is what makes them functionally complete.

it's also a complete imbalance to ask fans to pay the same price again of BOTH gauges to have crossfill and a few other features.

Hey, Shawn.  Didn't think you were trolling at all.  But I do think people sometimes get a bit... well, unreasonable themselves when it comes to their reactions to pricing.  Obviously I agree with you that the price of the unlimited package is high - despite being a big fan and having had both 430 and 530 for going on 2 years, $100 has been well beyond what I'd be willing to pay for what I perceive I'd get back. 

As the old saying goes, there's asking and then there's getting.  They can ask whatever they want.  In this case, my guess is that RXP leaves more sales on the table than they gain back with the high price, but only they know if that's true or not.  My guess is also that they've probably hit the balance pretty close with the individual units and reducing price would simply leave money on the table for them, but again...

Scott

gah double post,  sry

"expecting fans to pay the same price for a second gauge which contains the exact same code as the first gauge with a different gui."

Just thought I would add this about a second gauge ... just for info:

RXP sales page say if you purchase One (either a 430WAAS or a 530WAAS) and the WAAS Ultimate you get an additional 430 or 530 License with it (FREE).

So, now you have a total of two garmins (two 430's or two 530's) + Unlimited package for both Fs9 and FSX.

http://www.reality-xp.com/flightsim/gns-unlimited/index.html

That's a better deal.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW